Liked: 177

Default Does the AiM Car wheel speed sensor fit the FE upright?

I'm looking to add a wheel speed sensor to go along with my GPS and wondered if the AiM wheel speed sensor mounts in the upright correctly like the original cosworth/pi sensor did?
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    I'm looking to add a wheel speed sensor to go along with my GPS and wondered if the AiM wheel speed sensor mounts in the upright correctly like the original cosworth/pi sensor did?
    I'm not sure of the specific answer to your question, but there is no reason why you cannot use the PI sensor (or a generic sensor) with the AiM data system. A generic sensor that fits is the Honeywell GT101 (I think this is the PI part as well).

You just have to configure the AiM system to understand the data from the sensor (the data is just a bunch of electric pulses that happen every time the gear tooth passes the sensor).

The PI sensor has been removed. I called Veracity and looks like the AiM ABS speed sensor is the same dimensions as the stock PI speed sensor that came in the FE. Ordered and awaiting delivery.

Liked: 447

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post

We have the proximity sensor mounted to come into contact with a cap head allen screw on the spindle. We haven't had any luck using both GPS and a wheel speed sensor. In the Aim config software, you choose one channel for speed. We asked an Aim rep at the track one weekend and he didn't get anywhere with it. If you have any luck, let me know.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Carter View Post
    We have the proximity sensor mounted to come into contact with a cap head allen screw on the spindle. We haven't had any luck using both GPS and a wheel speed sensor. In the Aim config software, you choose one channel for speed. We asked an Aim rep at the track one weekend and he didn't get anywhere with it. If you have any luck, let me know.
    Hmmm....AIM only allows one speed channel to be the 'system speed' but it can have two channels that collect speed. On my MXL-Pista the wheel speed input will still work with the AIM GPS module installed, but you do need to choose one for the software to calculate distance from.

But, you can measure both. What you can't do is create a math channel trying to reduce the error of each into one channel and make that the system speed.

Tim
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Good, Im glad both can be used. I was a little worried my plan was going to be off to a bad start...

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Hmmm....AIM only allows one speed channel to be the 'system speed' but it can have two channels that collect speed.

Tim
    Correct, it's called "Reference Speed" on the System Configuration. On an EVO4, here are both.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Correct, it's called "Reference Speed" on the System Configuration. On an EVO4, here are both.
    If you use GPS as a reference speed (as you have in the picture) this means the GPS is used to get vehicle speed on the dash correct? Then the wheel speed sensor(s) would just be used as a normal data channel. This is what I want so that I can use the max of the front two wheel speed sensors as the vehicle speed in the actual logged data. Plus the many other math channels you can have with two front wheel speeds...

Thread Information