Liked: 530

Default AIM EVO4 and formula wheel wiring questions

Hi guys,
    Bought an EVO4 and formula wheel. Car only had the standard PI C-dash. Couple of questions for those who have been through this before..

First, I think I've read that the only way to get this to work with my ECU is to have the ECU setup for AIM. I've found the instructions to do that with EasiMap 5.0 via the AIM website, but curious if I'm able to do it myself or if it must be re-flashed by a CSR?

Second, there were two connectors for the C-dash. Is any of that wiring useful or should I run new wire all the way back to the DB9 serial connector pigtail off the ECU? The wiring diagram I have for the car, if I follow it correctly, shows perhaps pin 6 of the steering wheel connector is the ECU Tx wire (pin 32)?

Third, can I extend the length of the 5 wire ECU cable that came with the EVO4? Or does the serial signal get flaky when the wire gets longer? I'm looking at mounting the EVO4 on the vertical panel forward of the pedals.

Four, does anyone have the pinout for the DB9 serial connector so I can wire RS 232 RX/TX, plus ground? Actually, if I'm reading what I think I am, I only need 2 wire hookup between EVO4 and the ECU? Possibly just pin 1 and 2 of the DB9?
    (disregard if question 2 answer reveals the pin 6 wire is the signal I need from the loom already up front). I assume any ground will work for the gnd connection to the EVO4 ECU harness?

Appreciate any help I can get.. I'm 2 weeks from my next track day!

mikey

additional info if it helps, my ECU label reads:

P/N 967EF
    Serial No: 00029717
    Software: 967BA560

Notes: 2.4.1 10/6/09 (and "SS" is written below the date)
    SCCA

Liked: 0

Default evo4

you have to send your ECU to Enterprises so they can flash it for you.The CSR cant flash it.You Dont have to run any wires to the back,it plugs right in to the harness in the front where the your c dash plugs in to.You may need an adapter depending what chassis #you have.All you need is to get power to the Evo 4 From the main switch in the back and it will pick up signal from the ecu after its flashed

thanks. I hope Erik sees this thread then.. I need to know how quick of a turn-around I can get since I need my ECU back in a week!

Where do I get the adapter for the harness? I couldn't find it on the aim-sportline page. My car is chassis #86. I do have one issue though, the smaller 3 wire round connector by the steering wheel (for the C-dash connector) has all 3 wires broken. I need a repair end or something but wasn't sure the source for that either. Probably 3 pins and a connector will be needed, unless the 3 wire loom is obsolete / not needed with EVO4.

-mikey

upon further study of the FE_ESR wiring diagram and the c dash user guide, it does seem I do not need the red dash connector with only 3 wires (broken anyway). This seems to be only for the beacon input on C-dash and instead I will be using GPS from EVO4 for lap time and count.

Ordered connectors from Newark, I think I can use it to adapt into the blue harness that way. Can anyone confirm it is only a 2 wire hookup for ground and ECU transmit? Is it really that simple?
    Last edited by mikey; 11.04.12 at 3:04 PM.

Liked: 111

I made my own connector from the Serial port on the ECU to connect to the AiM CAN harness. Two wires. A serial connector and a bit of wire from radioshack for under $5. Works great.

Veracity has ready made connectors you can order as well and theirs are probably prettier than mine.

I found it easiest to place the EVO4 under my bead seat. Keeps everything central in the car, hopefully give more accurate measurements, but that is a whole other discussion. Lots of room if you carve out your bead seat.

The EVO4 likes a bit of padding under it or you will get very noisy accelerometer channels.

I am not sure about the flash turn around time. It only takes a few minutes. I know the CSRs used to be able to do it, but I am not sure about now.

Liked: 111

Attachment 34704Attachment 34705
    Sorry for the iphone quality photos.

Liked: 180

Hi, not sure if this is an issue for the FE car ecu but on our Zetec cars the ecu needs to be flashed and then set to read it as a stack dash. The aim dash will then read all the data from the ecu.

Brian

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default mychron 3 gold plus

I am about to remove a "c" dash from my FE and install the AIM mychron 3 gold plus so I was pleased to see this post, Do I need to do the same or since I will only be monitoring speed, revs, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and timing from the beakon maybe I dont need to interface with the ECU?
    The Mychron also has track mapping built into it so no seperate GPS box.
    Steve

Liked: 20

Yes, you will only need to flash the ECU if you want to be able to read it with an AIM system.

Quote Originally Posted by steve everard View Post
    I am about to remove a "c" dash from my FE and install the AIM mychron 3 gold plus so I was pleased to see this post, Do I need to do the same or since I will only be monitoring speed, revs, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and timing from the beakon maybe I dont need to interface with the ECU?
    The Mychron also has track mapping built into it so no seperate GPS box.
    Steve
    Steve,
    The ECU gives you revs, water & oil temp and oil pressure, plus a host of other data lines. It's a 2 wire hookup. I'd recommend get your ECU flashed and read it from the ECU. This is the simplest solution. Otherwise, you have to have external sensors for all of that, plus all the extra wiring. But to answer your original question, you CAN get that data without reading the ECU, if you use external sensors. I'm not sure how the C-dash is wired, if it gets the data from the ECU or from external sensors directly. I think it is getting it from the ECU. Which would mean you'd need to add a whole bunch of wiring and tap into sensors that already feed the ECU if you don't want to hook the AIM to the ECU directly.

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Steve,
    The ECU gives you revs, water & oil temp and oil pressure, plus a host of other data lines. It's a 2 wire hookup. I'd recommend get your ECU flashed and read it from the ECU. This is the simplest solution. Otherwise, you have to have external sensors for all of that, plus all the extra wiring. But to answer your original question, you CAN get that data without reading the ECU, if you use external sensors. I'm not sure how the C-dash is wired, if it gets the data from the ECU or from external sensors directly. I think it is getting it from the ECU. Which would mean you'd need to add a whole bunch of wiring and tap into sensors that already feed the ECU if you don't want to hook the AIM to the ECU directly.
    The C-Dash gets it from the ECU. It's best to use the ECU signal if you want to read all that, much easier.

OK, off to pay Mick Robinson a visit tomorrow. He's going to flash the lastest ECU map plus configure for AIM. Shipping across FL was rediculous for overnight, actually cheaper to just drive 2.5 hours and back, then I can start hookup tomorrow night. Need to checkout Robinson Motor Sports anyway since they are the closest CSR to me.

Now if those deutsch connectors would just show up.. Newark indicates UPS will deliver tomorrow by end of day. I love it when a plan comes together!

I'll post a separate thread regarding the install once complete.

cheers,
    mikey

Liked: 177

I've been getting a lot of different answers to which wires on the AiM ECU cable plug into which pins on the DB9 connector.

So, which wire from the AiM ECU cable plugs into which pin on a DB9 connector?

On the AiM ECU cable itself I know you use the ground wire but which RS232 on the cable is used, RS232TX or RS232RX? I've been told to use the TX but isn't the Evo4 logger receiving data from ecu and not transmitting so wouldn't you use RX???
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 177

Kind of confusing but it looks like the DB9 only has 7 leads going to it in the diagram here. It appears that pin 1 is ground and pin 2 is RS232/COM TX. This answers the question of which lead and which pin. Hopefully this helps somebody in the future.

I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Thread Information