Liked: 8

Default Opinions on simple in car lap timers

I am already thinking about next season and would like to add a laptimer to the cockpit.
    There seems to be a reasonable amount of choices abeit in different price ranges and ways of solving the problem.
    My first inclination is to get the AIM solo with GPS at $400.00
    However research on Ebay and Amazon has located several other options with lessor price points
    They fall into the categories of GPS, transponder/infrared combos and straight infared.

GPS

GPX Zed
    Aim solo
    Tutor GPS
    Sumomoto Cheetah
    Pitking Products

transponder/infrared hybred

Raceceiver Lap ALT 100

Infrared

Best laps
    XT racing
    Sumomoto
    Longacre

I only have 2 requirements.
    One is that the display has large numbers readable in bright sun.
    The other that it gives some sort of indication of fastest lap.

Let me know if you have experience with any of these products or can offer suggestions not listed.

Thanks in advance

Liked: 123

I've been using an AIM MyChron4 for a long time now in go karts. It's sort of similar to the AIM Solo only with no onboard sensor, just lots of plugs for external sensors. It displays all the gauges you could want in a go kart too, not just lap info. Firmware updates often cause critical bugs so always make sure to back up your data. User interface is pretty clunky. Soldering may not be the most secure thing ever either, I've had an external GPS Module and the MyChron itself go out on me on different occasions. Fortunately their customer service is impeccable, they always repair or replace their products in a timely manner no questions asked. Still not fun to have it go out during a race day though. Despite all the problems it seems to blow away the competitors, everything else is even worse and with less functionality. Italian electronics, what more do ya want.

Whatever you get, I do recommend something with a GPS sensor. Just that one sensor gives you a lot of useful data you can analyze to improve your driving or car setup. It's not just track position but also a very accurate measurement of lateral and longitudinal g force. Most useful of all (and something you can understand with very little expertise) is the ability to compare lap time with lap position. Compare two laps and the fast lap will show as a flat line while the slower lap will show below the line where you were faster and above the line where you were slower. Combined with video this gives you the ability to immediately determine exactly what made you faster or slower that lap. You can also set an infinite number of splits around the track which lets you analyze what you're doing live while driving.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

One of the benefits of the Solo is that any data you get from it is comparable to any other AiM data. That means whether you upgrade later or compare with a friend with a full system, the data is always valuable.

Also with the Solo, you can have it display predicted lap time, rolling lap time, or +/- your best time (which I think is the best display).

I've had AiM Solos in the field since they came out with very few problems. They are solid devices and work very will. Their ability to automatically figure out what track your at, turn on and off (with 12v connection) automatically, and start/stop recording automatically make them a no brainer for the price.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 954

Quote Originally Posted by Spengo View Post
    I've been using an AIM MyChron4 for a long time now in go karts. It's sort of similar to the AIM Solo only with no onboard sensor, just lots of plugs for external sensors. It displays all the gauges you could want in a go kart too, not just lap info. Firmware updates often cause critical bugs so always make sure to back up your data. User interface is pretty clunky. Soldering may not be the most secure thing ever either, I've had an external GPS Module and the MyChron itself go out on me on different occasions. Fortunately their customer service is impeccable, they always repair or replace their products in a timely manner no questions asked. Still not fun to have it go out during a race day though. Despite all the problems it seems to blow away the competitors, everything else is even worse and with less functionality. Italian electronics, what more do ya want.

Whatever you get, I do recommend something with a GPS sensor. Just that one sensor gives you a lot of useful data you can analyze to improve your driving or car setup. It's not just track position but also a very accurate measurement of lateral and longitudinal g force. Most useful of all (and something you can understand with very little expertise) is the ability to compare lap time with lap position. Compare two laps and the fast lap will show as a flat line while the slower lap will show below the line where you were faster and above the line where you were slower. Combined with video this gives you the ability to immediately determine exactly what made you faster or slower that lap. You can also set an infinite number of splits around the track which lets you analyze what you're doing live while driving.
    Aim Solo is great for simplicity, highly recommended for the price. Mychron4 works well if you can obtain the unit and GPS antenna for a decent price used. I used one successfully for two seasons. The other part is the tach signal. Set it up for a 4 stroke kart and wrap the tach signal wire around the HT coil lead about 10 turns for a good signal. The mychron4 will not activate and log data without a tach signal.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 1115

Another AIM advantage:

You can overlay your data with that from anyone else using one of the systems. Onboard lap timing is just a tiny benefit compared to data analysis.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

If you're looking for a "simple in car lap timer" why not just Velcro a stopwatch to the steering wheel or somewhere convenient in the cockpit? Cheap, easy, reliable, and your brain automatically remembers the fastest lap. Even when I've had cars with data systems, I always put a stopwatch in the car. I can keep track of calls on the grid (time the grid guys for the first few sessions of a weekend and it gives you a very accurate idea of how long between the 5 and the 1), you can keep a rolling timer on a session, or if you have a track that doubles back on itself you can time your gaps to the cars in front or behind you and see if you're gaining or losing ground. I have a Robic stopwatch I've carried in and along with me in lots of different racecars. I think it was $30 about 15 years ago. Data systems are a wonderful thing, but why complicate the process when all you really need is a clock?
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 45

If you're willing to mount a phone in your car, the deluxe model is $19.99

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

I was searching for a daylight readable GPS lap timer - that would give clear "No Mistake Jake" +/- to best lap. The two I was settling on were the Qstarz LT-Q6000 and the Race Chrono [not to be confused with phone app of same name].

Both have color displays, and appear to provide simple Red/Green delta details for lap time (faster/slower). Each seems to have a sector timing option and also downloadable csv files.

Youtube: https://www.google.co.th/url?sa=t&rc...k2uq66CUnsvKyQ
    Manual : http://www.qstarz.com/download/LT-Q6...er%20Guide.pdf

Race Chrono: http://racechrono.com.au/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEitXP5foIw

Not associated with either - just did some searching and these seemed to meet similar criteria you are looking for. Both are about the same price. I like each for the color display over the AIM monochrome.

There is an Ozzzie on board here that has the Race Chrono. I understand, he's had a faster mate carry it in his pocket for a lap to use as a comparative "faster lap." Both units seem (from documentation) to use the first lap as fastest (makes sense) then updates as the session continues.

I've had mixed results with a variety of phone apps on autocross and opted to not go that route.

Hope that adds a few options to your selection choices.

Cheers - Jim

Liked: 68

How accurate do you need/want it to be?

One thing that gets left out of GPS discussions is the update rate. At the speeds we tend to be going across S/F, many of the low-end timers available don't update fast enough to be consistent enough for comparison to track timing. That's fine for track days and rough guesstimates, but if you're going "real racing", you should be looking for something that has a 10 Hz or faster update rate.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

FWIW - just checked email and MYLAPS - (yeah, I know...) is advertising that they will add the following this year to your on board display:

• Lap times
    • Number of laps (to go)
    • Position in race
    • Gap to racer in front/behind
    • Diff with P1

No clue what that looks like, how it integrates, or costs. I finally settled on using the "audio" version of a Pit Board. Wife yells on radio - "Go faster-dammit!"

Cheers - Jim

Liked: 7

Default Lap timer

I use my iPhone with a Bad Elf GPS module and CMS app.
    Works great!
    Jim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Jim I found the Bad elf module but what is the "CMS App"? Thnks. J

Greg -

Thanks for the tip on the Raceceiver Lap Audio Lap Timer. It links with your onboard transponder - and then gives an audio response. Cool. Saves my "crew" from one more task. Cheap enough to give a trial and see how it plays out.

Cheers - and Happy New Year! Jim

Liked: 7

Default lap timer

Cantrell Motorsports

http://www.stoppani.net

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4360

I would put the money toward a stripped down Aim Evo4 system that you could expand over time. Until then, I would use the stopwatch on the steering wheel. I had a Robic with 200 lap memory that I would time myself with, count laps, even scroll through previous laps.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 8

Default In car timers

Thanks to all who have responded.
    It seems like now I have more choices to consider but more questions.

Jim/Phantomjock,
    Thanks for the links about the QStarz and Race Chronos.
    After looking at both, QStarz seems like it might have a faster response rate, but charting a new track and setting start finish can be a slight issue. They also referred to beacon width on page 14 which was also confusing given it is GPS.
    As to Race Chronos, I'm not sure to make of this unit as the seller in your link is offering a basic package and then a pro package the includes the Qstarz with the Race Chronos. The reason given is that the Race Chronos rate was just ok, but if you wanted real accuracy then it needed to be paired witht he Q Starz.
    You're right the color displays are nicer than the Aim solo monochrome.

I'll just keep researching options.

You're Welcome.

As you up the costs and capes other systems come into play. Like the AIM/EVO combination - but again the monochrome display - very useful,but not attention grabbing.

The Race Capture Pro mob has added telemetry available as an option - and they bluetooth the display to a tablet of choice. Novel approach that would be very useful if adopted by more DA setups. As an example:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by phantomjock; 12.31.15 at 7:11 PM. Reason: add image

Liked: 146

I've been using a RaceChrono for some time. I have the screen on my steering wheel, and the GPS receiver under the bodywork.

I can read the sector times in nearly all lighting conditions, and by toggling the display, I can see what time it is.

The support for the RaceChrono thing is pretty poor. Most new developments tend to flow to the IPhone App. Those who use it, uselessly complain about the fact that they cant see the screen in daylight.

New tracks are better designed on a PC with a big screen.

If you want to waste the rest of your life, you can do so by analysing all the other ancillary data that the thing makes - longitudinal and lateral acceleration, altitude etc.

And as someone mentioned earlier, you can give the device to one of your faster buddies, and even in his pocket, his data will be logged. You can then overlay that data to compare. Again, easier to do on a PC.

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 67

I will add that a stored GPS coordinates database, that allows instant establishment of start/finish for each track automatically is incredibly helpful. The AiM Solo has this.

Solo's typically come loaded with up to 200 North American tracks. This allows drivers to turn the unit on, and as soon as it gets a "fix," it knows where it is and begins lap timing.

Another useful feature is the +/- and PredT lap time display, very useful for you to determine what works (gear, line, approach) while in the car, on-course.

I started with Hot Lap timers fifteen years ago, then tried HLT Pro, Traqmate (nice basic system, but too expensive for just lap times), Unipro, QStarZ and the Solo. I've also used the VBOX Sport with the phone app (only one with 20 Hz GPS sample rate). I don't think the 20 Hz rate is "better" than the 10 Hz of the newer QStarZ and AiM Solo. Many of the phone apps rely on the 1 Hz refresh rate of the phone, at least those without external GPS (another reason for the VBOX Sport).

I have used RaceChrono and have an RCP V2, as well. Each of these do require some care to set up venues for accurate lap timing.

Full disclosure: I've been a large dealer for AiM and Racelogic (VBOX) for six years.

I think the current state of technology has made all these offerings more reliable and easier to use, for sure. I do think more than half of those with EVO4's and other loggers use them primarily as lap timers (after using the display loggers as monitors for vitals), which is why it's important to get what you KNOW you'll use...

No shortage of choices.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 131

I use an old smart phone with RaceChrono Android app.
    Cost= free if you already have an old phone.

They already have start/finish and splits for most all common tracks. My times have always been within 1/10 or less of official times. Also gives you a nice analysis of splits to show where you gain and lose speed, and has predictive lap timing and all sorts of stuff.

Very easy to set up, nice bright display if its a good phone, and cheap.

A side note is if you pay for the paid app you can also take video and overlay your time/speed/etc onto it.

I have lap time from my data system now but honestly prefer the phone app.

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 131

sorry, double post

Liked: 20

Default TrackAddict app

I've used the TrackAddict app on my iPhone http://racerender.com/TrackAddict/Features.html
    A lot of lap timing and data capabilities packed into an $8 app. I have not tried any of the video features.
    Similar to patman, I mount it on my steering wheel and it's out of the way of my analog gauges.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1115

-
    Last edited by TimH; 01.05.16 at 4:07 PM. Reason: Error
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thread Information