Liked: 2

Default AIM Evo4 Dash - G Dash or MXL

Hi everyone -
    Looking at purchasing an Evo4 to replace my Mychron 3Gold and would like some input on what dash works best. I believe I have the room for the larger MXL display (I have a 1st gen Stohr DSR), but don't know if it is worth the extra money. The MKL will allow for more items displayed and may limited the need to "toggle". I know either will be an upgrade from my current system and would like input.

I will also be running a SmartyCam so I will have video and data with overlays.

Thank you for the help,
    Jason

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

In order for the MXL dash to be viable, the layout of your dash, bodywork, steering shaft, steering wheel, knees, arms, etc all have to work together. If the driver is on the smaller side, and the cockpit on the bigger side, there is good distance between the front hoop and the back of the wheel, then you can probably make it work. If the wheel is close to the hoop, then the dash would need to squeeze inside the hoop, or behind, and limit the visibility to a small range of wheel placement.
    The G-Dash can be placed wherever it needs to be to work. It also lets you move to your next car, or another car, with minimal fuss.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by J Somers View Post
    Hi everyone -
    Looking at purchasing an Evo4 to replace my Mychron 3Gold and would like some input on what dash works best. I believe I have the room for the larger MXL display (I have a 1st gen Stohr DSR), but don't know if it is worth the extra money. The MKL will allow for more items displayed and may limited the need to "toggle". I know either will be an upgrade from my current system and would like input.

I will also be running a SmartyCam so I will have video and data with overlays.

Thank you for the help,
    Jason
    Jason, sorry I am sold out of the used EVO4/G-Dash combos, but I do think you should consider the G-Dash over the MXL Dash.

A couple of benefits of the G-Dash are a better backlight, completely configurable shift lights (colors/arrangement plus visibility is better), written configurable and conditional warnings (including text to tell you what they are) and an easy to scroll button on the right lower edge.

The other thing is cost. The EVO4/G-Dash is $1399 (which saves $220 off pieces purchased separately) versus the EVO4/MXL-Dash at $1999. If you want to do that, I would recommend the MXL2 for expandability and the new file format.

The SC will connect to all. The AiM system is a very good, modular system capable of expansion at any time. Feel free to PM me for more info.

The greatest upgrade from the XG Log is the addition of GPS and the ability to add automated high quality video with the smartycam HD.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 273

If you want a really slick package that is easy to install I would go with the following.

EVO4 Logger
    AIM FORMULA WHEEL (2nd generation)

This is the cleanest setup going now days. The AIM Formula wheel gen 2 even has a paddle shift option which is less expensive than most aftermarket paddle shift wheel setups at $275 additional.

The screen on the AIM wheel has been upgrade also, very F1 looking readout.

The harness coming out of the AIM wheel is very compact and doesn't interfere with driver space one bit.

And I also see this is going in a Gen 1 Stohr. Assuming you are running a Suzuki motor you can run from the Suzuki K-Line and sample all engine vitals. Water temp, throttle position, ambient air temp, RPM etc. The new loggers communicate with the K-Line much better now.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 42

Not a fan of the mxl display for the evo4. For the reasons mentioned above. Go with the mxl2 if that is what you want.

That being said the evo4 is an awesome bang for the buck and the gdash is what I run in my car. I have had the formula wheel and while it was cool I wasn't a fan of how the wheel felt. So before going with the wheel I would put my hands on one before spending that 1000 bucks.

The older formula wheel has the equivalent of the mychron4 dash built in with simple lights on it. The newer one that Gary mentions is the equivalent of the gdash with the nice led programmable lights for colors and such. A very nice improvement.

Liked: 2

Default Great info

Thank you everyone for the input and thoughts. I agree, the price point of the Evo4 / GDash combo is a bargain and will most likely be the route I go.

Tigaman - thank you for the explanations. I was wondering how the warning lights and messages worked and I now have a better understanding. Not sure about everyone else, but I often times forgot what warning light means what - the addition of the message is very nice.

Currently my Mychron 3 is mounted on the center hoop behind the wheel - I'm assuming the GDash is similar in size and should fit the same location.

Another question - is my only option for the sensors to purchase the 1 meter adapter (719 to 712) cables. Do they make a "pig tail" style adaptor? really don't need another 3 feet of cable, but also don't want to purchase new sensors with the proper ends.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the feedback ... now its time to put my old system up for sale.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

The cables come in .5 meter increments from .5 meters to 4 meters. You can have custom lengths made too. I do them all the time.

Thread Information