Liked: 30

Default 1979 March SV - SOLD

March 79V - Sold

I bought this very nice Mach 79 V from a fellow Apex member some time ago but business and family demands have kept me from the track and will probably do so for the foreseeable future.

I have decided to put this car on the market where hopefully someone with more time can get it out on track where it belongs

The car was beautifully prepared by the previous owner, as the photographs show. On its last outing the ‘fuel-out’ tube from the Cell failed, leaking fuel in to the bottom of the cockpit.

I have purchased a brand new Aero-Tech Services cell but have not had the time to fit it. Bertils Engine on Weber 45’s, Adkins Tub, C&R Radiator

The car is priced for a quick sale and includes the new unfitted cell.

I have many more photographs of the car that can be forwarded on request. I have multiple Log Books going back to 1979. The Car is located in Southern California.

$18500 obo

Ian Ashdown
    Ianashdown@pacific-composites.net
    949-291-9518
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 11.19.15 at 10:08 PM.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1592

Beautiful car Ian - is it race ready?

Hi,
    I wouldn't say it's race ready, but very close. The fuel cell needs to be fit, and that involves some of the water plumbing on these cars, plus the collector etc. It would need normal race prep, checks and set-up, the same as anyone should do with a newly acquired race car.

Nothing major is required.

I think I'll be be posting the car on eBay this weekend to see if we can find it a new home.

Ian
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 05.30.15 at 3:36 PM.

Liked: 1

What is the S/N of the car ? Did it previously belong to John Franna, Bruce Faucett, or Pete McNamara ? This might be my old car.
    Thanks.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 116

Default 79 March sv

It was Pete's car.

Yes, my old car. I bought it from John Franna. I auto crossed it for at least 10 years. What size are the wheels ? 6"/8" or 8"/10" ? What spares do you have ? How much time / races on the engine ?
    Thanks !

Default March 79V

Hi,
    The wheels are 6" & 8" original March wheels.
    There aren't many car spares, but I do have quite a few used engine parts in various conditions. I don't know the mileage on the engine, perhaps Tom can answer that?
    Ian

The 3 piece wheels are BBS wheels. Original March wheels were one piece, I believe. Both were magnesium. How many sets of wheels do you have ?

Default March SV

Hmm, not sure that's true. I have the March drawings of this wheel. I guess March could have had BBS make the wheels for them to their drawings.

Ian

Have seen both wheels. BBS made the wheel hats - March centers. Other one piece wheels were all March.
    Any extra wheels ?

Forgot to ask....is the engine a 1600, or 1800 / 1835 ?

Default March 79V

Hi,
    No extra wheels I'm afraid. I believe the engine is 1600.

Ian

Contributing Member

Default 79 SV

The engine has about 4.5 hours if my memory is correct it is a 1600. The motor is "mild" in super vee turms, good low end shift about 7800 this setup seemed to last the longest. I think I know where the Atlantic halves are if that helps Ian with the sale.

Tom

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 295

WOW is all i can say

i remember these as new

lovely

Default March 79V

The car is now listed on eBay.
    Ian

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 421

I believe the original wheels for the series that used the 1600 motor were required to be BBS as they were a sponsor of the series, just like ATS, Bosch, etc. Later, when the series converted to 1800 motors and 8/10" wheels March may have used the castings for their F2 wheels. Just a guess.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    I believe the original wheels for the series that used the 1600 motor were required to be BBS as they were a sponsor of the series, just like ATS, Bosch, etc. Later, when the series converted to 1800 motors and 8/10" wheels March may have used the castings for their F2 wheels. Just a guess.

verrry foggy mind here, when did the VW Gold Cup series go to 1800 cc and "big wheels"

maybe that was just SCCA?

btw Charles i saw your (Mitty?) ride at Atlanta on some "sports car " site.....nice

You could easily be right. I'm just guessing. I know the cars went to 8/10" wheels and the 1800cc engine at some point.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Memory is that the SVs were allowed 8"/10" wheels at the end of the pro series (still 1600cc). When SV was rolled into FA for SCCA, engine size was allowed to grow to 1835. Eventually, I think SCCA ruled all Atlantics had to run 10" fronts and either 14 or 15" rears. Not sure anyone ever put those monsters on a SV... I ran 8"/10" when I auto crossed the car, based on SV pro rules.

One year at the RunOffs someone (Crowe?) put 8/10" wheels on an RT-4 and IIRC only ran the main element on the rear wing (without secondary) and was blisteringly fast down the straights. The next year I believe the Club (in its infinite wisdom) required the 10" fronts and 14/15" rears.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    One year at the RunOffs someone (Crowe?) put 8/10" wheels on an RT-4 and IIRC only ran the main element on the rear wing (without secondary) and was blisteringly fast down the straights. The next year I believe the Club (in its infinite wisdom) required the 10" fronts and 14/15" rears.

something like that happened in the mid-eighties with Atlantics where rear wings were either left off or run flat and LOW to drop drag at Portland during the pro races

Liked: 0

Default 79 March Super-v

Hi not on here often anymore, however I owned this car for many years and can detail much of the mechanical restoration which my shop preformed. The old girl has been gone for several years but when I sold her she was one fine race car. If I can assist in any way please feel free to give me a call 317-697-4772. The price seems like a real bargain for a super good handling car, a fine example of a great mark.
    C.D. "Pete" McNamara
    Last edited by macracer; 06.05.15 at 6:00 PM. Reason: putting in name

i love the looks of this thing except being an old fart the mirrors bug me LOL

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default SV

The original mirrors where absolutely useless, not good when running around F1, F5000, Can Am, and 935 cars.

Tom

PS: Hi Pete!

Liked: 39

Default This car has been sold for some time.

This car has been sold for some time.

Thread Information