Liked: 13

Default Adding a Second Car to a Trailer

Hello,

We will be adding a second car this year and need to find the best way to get them both in the trailer. The first car is a F5 and we are adding a FE. We would really like to keep the trailer we have. It is 26 feet with a work bench in the front and has been working really well. I have seen some lifts that seem expensive that will make our current trailer work but I was wondering if that was the best way or what some other guys are doing to get 2 cars in a smaller trailer. Any thoughts and advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

While there are some commercially built lifts out there, most people I know fabricate their own. The simplest is a set of ramps anchored and hinged at the front, then hooked to a winch at the back. You winch the top car up the ramps then raise them to horizontal. It can be made from either alu or steel. Harbor freight has very adequate winches. I'm sure some people on this site will post some pictures.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

We did as Bob mentions, and the only comment I have to add is to make sure the winch will not unwind under load when not actively pulling. I'm not sure if it was the winch itself or a wiring issue, but we couldn't stop in the middle of pulling the car up the ramp without it rolling back on it's own.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Back to basics

Is your tow vehicle certified to haul the additional rolling weight of the: (1) second race car, (2) new steel structure, winch, ramp associated with the loading of the second car, lastly (3) the paraphernalia unique to the successful campaigning of the new car, e.g. wheels, parts to be included?

Liked: 27

Default Here's what we did

Here's what we did to get two Formula Firsts in a 16 ft V nose. With planning and a topper on our tow vehicle we manage to take all the supporting equipment, spares, & tired for both.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 13

Default Adding a 2nd Car

The truck is rated to tow 11,000 lbs. I believe I will be under that weight fully loaded with all the extras of the 2nd car.

Rave Motorsports Thank you for the picture! I assume you just use ramps to get the car up there? Do you happen to have any more?
    They say a picture is worth a 1,000 words!

Liked: 27

Default Yes ramps

Yes we use ramps and a winch mounted at the front to pull both cars in. We race in St Louis this weekend I will take some additional pictures of the loading process for everyone to share.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 442

Liked: 218

I've hauled 2 FE's in a 24' trailer nose to tail. Both noses have to come off and one crush box. No cabinet in front, but they're usually 24" deep so we're talking similar length. I'm assuming your F5 car is 12' long or less, but if its more and the nose is not easily removable, which I've seen with F5's, you may not be able to do that.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Did you build or buy this? More detailed pictures please....

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post

Last edited by BeerBudgetRacing; 10.22.15 at 6:03 PM. Reason: reduce pic dupe

Thread Information