Liked: 1417

Default 2015 MotoGP Thread

As F1 begins and continues to disappoint, NASCAR throws the same WWE story lines at the racing community again and IndyCar is still a ways off, I know that there are some here on ApexSpeed like me who are eagerly awaiting the rapidly approaching MotoGP season opener in Qatar in a couple of weeks.

Testing is finishing up in Spain and there is a lot to be excited about. Honda and Yamaha are strong of course, but Ducati has made huge leaps and was at the top of the lap charts on a couple of different occasions. Suzuki is making gains, too. It looks to be an exciting season in MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3. High horsepower, no downforce, the best talent in the world on some of the greatest tracks... what more could you want from a race series?

Can't wait. Who else is a MotoGP fan here?

I am heavily rooting for Crazy Joe and the Ducs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 8

Default Moto GP 2015

Go Valentino ! Been wacthing Moto GP for years.

Liked: 39

Awesome racing!!! Gotta love when the only "aero" is drafting, and it helps promote passing

Liked: 896

Just love MotoGP
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

It is the best racing on TV

7. The following members LIKED this post:

dc

Liked: 757

No downforce is not strictly true. Ducati have been experimenting with little winglets!

Liked: 530

After all the work Honda has done with aero in Indycar this year, I wonder how long before they translate all that work onto the motoGP platforms

Good to see somebody else corroborating my mantra that NASCAR is just WWF on wheels, not really racing.

Liked: 28

Not sure who to watch this year. I was a big fan of Nicky, but since his injury and his brother Rogers injury, seems he has been struggling. Hopefully someone will give Marquez a run this year!

Liked: 210

Moto GP fan here.

Ever since they dumbed down F1 racing, the only true 'racers' that take on the road and life in a serious way are Moto GP and Isle of Man TT'ers.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Love it. As for the no downforce , when we went to the US inaugral in Indy I was watching them going down the straight in the pooring rain and there was no rooster tail at all. In fact the water was being pushed to the track surface about 3 feet behind the bike. Amazing to see. So maybe there is something "aero" in the bike, just not a visible wing. A little different to when I raced bikes, mind you that was in the 70's.
    Graham

Anyone else excited to see the top 12 qualifiers in GP covered by just over a second in qualifying with a Ducati on the pole? I donno about you, but I can't wait for this season to get underway today!

Liked: 94

I'm a massive MotoGP fan. The Ducatis seem to have made big strides on their issues of front end stability on the brakes. Dovi is a huge talent and Crazy Joe is a serious rising star. Marquez is still a magician and a third championship isn't unrealistic. The Yamaha is good at some tracks but not so much at others. Don't expect much from them at Qatar.

Moto2 and Moto3 are even better racing than MotoGP!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 177

Actually, the second F1 race was much better than Australia. Looks like Ferrari and Merc may be duking it out for the championship which is a fantastic surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    After all the work Honda has done with aero in Indycar this year, I wonder how long before they translate all that work onto the motoGP platforms

Good to see somebody else corroborating my mantra that NASCAR is just WWF on wheels, not really racing.
    I get zero excitement watching a bunch of good 'ole boys running around in a circle all day. I just can't get into Nascar and to be honest, I only watch Indy when they are on road courses and of course the Indy 500.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    I get zero excitement watching a bunch of good 'ole boys running around in a circle all day. I just can't get into Nascar...
    Factually speaking, well more than half of the Cup field would have fought for the North in the Civil war (by birth location), and plenty west of the Rockies. There are actually very few "good ol' boys" in NASCARs driver's seats, and even more so as you go down the ranks into Infinity series and Camping World Truck series.

Just because the main color commentator is a stereotypical goober is no reason to paint with such a broad brush. Just sayin'. If you don't like oval racing, that's cool, but at least be honest about it.

Now, back to MotoGP...

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Factually speaking, well more than half of the Cup field would have fought for the North in the Civil war (by birth location), and plenty west of the Rockies. There are actually very few "good ol' boys" in NASCARs driver's seats, and even more so as you go down the ranks into Infinity series and Camping World Truck series.

Just because the main color commentator is a stereotypical goober is no reason to paint with such a broad brush. Just sayin'. If you don't like oval racing, that's cool, but at least be honest about it.

Now, back to MotoGP...
    Doug, perhaps my words did not convey the point I meant to make which was my error. My idea of "good 'ole boys" isn't necessarily dependent on geography but more on a mentality. Nascar appears to have a disproportionate amount of drivers with mental illnesses, meth users, and drug charges. Not saying any other form of racing has perfect guys behind the wheel , but Nascar sure has some "classy" drivers among their ranks. Of course part of the problem is the fact , which was observed by some previously in this thread, that Nascar has taken this route almost on purpose to keep their guys in the headlines to keep the "sport" relevant much like the business plan of WWE.

And I close with......... GO ROSSI!!!!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 19

Default that was a race

Just watched the Moto GP race last night - now that was a race. Four at the front for the most part, all covered by a blanket , and Valentino on his own against the Ducati's. Brilliant riding by everyone - especially VR.

Its everything F1 is not (Malaysia aside - which I hope will not be a flash in the pan).

JeffW

Did anyone catch the Moto3 race last night?

Holy hell. What a season this is going to be.

Liked: 94

What an absolutely fantastic race by everyone and especially by "The Doctor"!!! Where did Yamaha find that much speed? What about Maniac Joe!

Now the news that Pedrosa is having serious arm pump issues. If he is out for a few races or longer, does Honda put someone else on the bike and if so.....who? They have talked Stoner into doing the Suzuka 8 hours - maybe they can talk him into stepping in? Either way, if the rest of the year is anything like the first race weekend, this is going to be an incredible year!
    Matt Rehm
    1997 Citation FV #10
    1997 Citation FV #16

Liked: 36

Those Ducatis had some straight line speed!!!I watched all 3 classes best racing on TV easily,anyones race up front right up to the last corners.

Liked: 232

Default Ducatis.........

Got to love'em ......

Have been a fan since my 900ss Superlight, 916 and by personal favorite (and rare - and still have 750 Paso Limited SS (only 28 made not expensive but neat)

The use to dominate Superbike - struggled at MotoGP - new rules helped and they are fly'in !!!!

NO Gismo, Desmo !!!!!
    Last edited by Swift17; 10.02.15 at 8:11 AM.
    EJ

Swift db-1 (019-85) / Ducati Paso Ltd SS / 70 Triumph "Bonnie"
    Plantation (Ft.Lauderdale)/SCCA-Florida Region 37 years
    JGenerotti's friend, dad, mechanic, assoc. sponsor, etc.

Contributing Member

What channel?

I watched it on ABC on DirecTV

Contributing Member

Thanks

Contributing Member

Default tires

Not to take anything away from the Ducatis which have awesome straight line speed, it was mentioned that they are allowed to use softer/grippier tires than the rest until they have i)one win, or ii) two seconds, or iii) three thirds. Then they have to use the same tires as the rest of the field. Still a fantastic performance by them and everyone else. Also liked Valentino's obvious joy at winning. Not the buttoned up attitude before/during/after an F1 race.

JeffW

Contributing Member

ON 219 on Direct tv tonight for those of us who missed it

Liked: 384

Marquez just cleansweeped last season.
    insane driver.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Was a bike racer long before open wheel. Been claiming it's the best racing on the planet for years. Moto3, in my opinion, even better than GP. Glad to see so many other members have the fever. Never watch NASCAR. Indycar is now FooFooCar. F1....eh....Monaco and Spa still draw my interest. WSB also has some pretty good racing

Liked: 36

Quote Originally Posted by steve zemke View Post
    What channel?

FOX SPORTS in Ontario Canada

Liked: 296

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Not to take anything away from the Ducatis which have awesome straight line speed, it was mentioned that they are allowed to use softer/grippier tires than the rest until they have i)one win, or ii) two seconds, or iii) three thirds. Then they have to use the same tires as the rest of the field. Still a fantastic performance by them and everyone else. Also liked Valentino's obvious joy at winning. Not the buttoned up attitude before/during/after an F1 race.

JeffW
    Do you have a written source for this or was it on the broadcast? Just curious because I was looking around and couldn't find anything.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post

JeffW
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Do you have a written source for this or was it on the broadcast? Just curious because I was looking around and couldn't find anything.
    I only get MotoGP news from the series site and I remember reading something about this recently.
    aaron

Contributing Member

Default only in the broadcast

Chris, It was mentioned only in the broadcast. The reasoning was that it would help new teams get started in a positive manner.

JeffW

No spoilers...

If you didn't stay up late for Australia, do yourself a favor and find the re-broadcast and record it. It's easily the best top level racing I have seen... maybe ever. I'm winded from watching it.

One of the greatest races you will EVER see. Amazing.

36. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 146

Doug, you're right. Best race ever. Lucky I live here so no staying up late. And having raced on the track several times, gives you a different perspective.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livengood View Post
    Yes, that is pretty much true. I read it in the motorcycle magazines. I don't remember the details, but what was mentioned is about what I remember. I also recall that Ducati is actually ready for the special allowances to be removed and is asking for it to happen prematurely.

I'm another ex motorcycle racer turned open wheel guy. John

Liked: 40

Default Artists at their craft

These riders are very good at what they do. It's inspiring to read about a person of Rossi's caliber talk about how he "cannot cry, regret". it must be a very different attitude with these guys, and also no one whining. They just battle it out at the very limit of their machines and abilities.
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Thread Information