Liked: 0

I am kind of flying blind since the registrar is not on-line but here is my best information on who will be at Mid-Ohio September 11-12 for the EWC finales:

PROBABLES (22)

Wes Allen, Merlyn Mk 25, CFF, E
    Jennie Morsch, Crossle 30F, CFF, E
    Tom Tipsword, Van Diemen RF81, CFF, E
    Dave Harmison, Royale RP-21, CFF, E
    Jim Kocher, Royale RP-31, CFF, E
    Michael Neylon, Lola T-440, CFF, E
    Joe Marcinski, ADF MkII, CFF, E
    Rex Gunning, ???, ??, E
    Brian Duncan, Tiga FFA-78, CFF, E
    Steve Beeler, Lola T-540, CFF, E
    Joe Fisher, Van Diemen RF84, FF, E
    Scott Hanba, Euroswift SC93F, FF, E
    Gordy Good, Swift DB-1, FF, E
    Jim Dietz, Van Diemen RF97, FF, E
    Mark Blythe, Reynard 82F, FF, E
    Dan Binks, Van Diemen RF92, FF, E
    Craig Jones, ???, ??, E
    Marc Blanc, Crossle 35F, CFF, W
    Bill Erlinger, Van Diemen RF80, CFF, W
    John Haydon, Jr, Tiga FFA-80, CFF, W
    Jim Nash, Van Diemen RF98, FF, W
    Loren Tieman, Reynard 83F, FF, W

POSSIBLES (7)

Brandon Abbott, Euroswift SC93F, FF, E
    Dave MacInnes, Vector, FF, E
    Mark Davision, Swift DB-1, FF, E
    John LaRue, Citation, FF, E
    Chuck Brewer, Citation, FF, E
    Mike Moore, Lola T-640, FF, E
    Chris Slinden, Royale RP-24, CFF, W

There are still quite a lot of drivers in the EWC recruiting pool who have not yet checked in. If you are one of those drivers, please send me a quick e-mail with your plans for next weekend. Throw in a few out-of-division surprises, and we still have a good chance of beating Tony George (i.e., 33 cars).

Don't forget FF/CFF is a waived tech group at Mid-Ohio. You must present your car for an annual tech in order to obtain a tech sticker. Plan accordingly.

See everyone is 5 days.

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com

Liked: 3

Yikes! Come on, West team -- we'll need a lot more entries if we're going to hang on to our lead!

Change me from a "probable" to a "confirmed. " The car is running and the trailer is loaded.

(Okay, the car RAN, and then we shut it off and loaded it onto the trailer. )

Liked: 54

Steve: Count me in! I will make my EWC and Mid-Ohio debut with my '81 Tiga CF. I have to learn the track now that it's practically in my back yard. I don't have Hooisers, so I will run in the FF class.

Liked: 3

Can anyone suggest an alternate Indiana route? The INDOT says that I-80 is limited to 12' max width, and I'm hesitant to try that with a truck/trailer combo I've never driven before.

John,

You're kinda screwed going thru Indiana's NW corner on I80/90. It is really the only way to go if you are coming from WI or Northern IL. I had to go that way when I went to RA last month. The road is not so much the problem as is the stop and go traffic. The lanes are plenty wide enough for our type of trailers.

I would suggest scheduling your trip so as to enter Chicago traffic before or after rush hour on Friday. Rush hour starts at noon on friday and ends around 8 PM.

I do not know of any traffic problems you will have if you stay on 80/90 across the top of IN. If you come down 65 to Indy then over to Columbus and up, You won't have any problems.

I have heard of people coming down 39 to 74 to 70 to get there. That seems to be way out of the way.

Good luck

When are you planning on leaving WI?
    Brian Duncan<br />Indy Region

Dan: Thanks for checking in. Since I started this thread, Mike Scanlan (Van Diemen RF02, FF, E) and Ron Tebo (Van Diemen RF78, CFF, E) have also entered.

John: Brian's advice is good. Timing is the key to a successful traverse of Chicago. From Wisconsin, you need to be at the Illinois/Indiana border before 2:00 PM CDT. Yes, the traffic will be heavy and, yes, it may stop a time or two but it the bottleneck is only about 12-15 miles long. Good progress is being made and new sections of highway are now open.

One more piece of important news:

Loren Tieman will again be offering lunch to the EWC circus on Saturday. Stop by his trailer right after our qualifying session. He promises something with a "German" theme. Brats imported from Johnsonville, Wisconsin?

See everyone in two days.

Steve Beeler
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)390-1818 sbeeler@ford.com

Liked: 25

I have added to this old thread so as not to interrupt the current Car Count & Central Division discussions (I wish the Midwest Division had Central Division counts!). There, Dane mentions road construction and traffic through Chicago. Concerns about Chicago routes and traffic also have been mentioned in EWC discussions. As a Chicago native in exile in Oklahoma, I meant to recommend WBBM radio, 780 AM, for ~24 hour traffic reports when people were talking about making the tow in the middle of the night. It is true news radio (not crazy call-ins) and clear channel. It is where Brent Musburger of ABC Sports started out. WBBM is what I listen to when I am up there. You can remember it as "Seven-eighty-o on your radio!" File this away for next year.
    - Frank C

[size="1"][ November 18, 2004, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Frank C ][/size]

Liked: 23

One way to halve the commute through Chicago is to just move here! But don't take your trailer on the Drive....
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thread Information