Greetings - I hope i can get some help here with my race car. Have met a great bunch of folks in and around SCCA and here on APEX. (Have also posted over on the Spec Racer Forums too.)

I have a GEN 1 Spec Racer – yes, it really is a Renault. Unfortunately, it is now looking for an engine. It is/was an SRR. At this juncture, I'm currently classed and my Logbook reflects SPU. (Which I am fine with, and a possible option for other Gen 2s after 2018 I suppose.) That is why the thread title - "Outlaw SPEC"

I discovered a problem in cylinders 3 & 4, during test day at Sebring last weekend – wound up burning oil, looked like a mosie fogger from the county! Later, a leak down test, wet plugs, etc confirm a problem. Most likely a ring and a tear down will be required at a minimum. Now, I ask for some help to form an approach to my engine options. The obvious being a tear down and rebuild, but out of the box-thinking may be useful.

With the GEN2 SRF phasing out of SCCA by 2018, I have seen a number of these engines available, but as I understand – not so many have transmissions included. I suppose one option is to up-convert the car to “Gen 3-LITE” with an engine/tranny combination and get ~25 more horsepower, and 100 lbs less weight than the GEN 2. If I wanted to move back into SPEC, the conversion costs really escalate. I am very much interested in “cost containment,” and this platform in the SPU class seems viable in that regard.

As a SPU, 25 horsepower doesn't sound like a great improvement to me. So, why don't I spend my engine repair/swap budget to put in a better (bigger) engine? Something with 60-100 more horsepower sounds a lot better than 25 HP (thinking Honda B, K, Toyota ZZ series, or maybe even some of the GM FWD engines). The costs of these engines seems on par with the Ford engines too. [I want to remain in SPU – so no Turbo or Superchargers – thank you!] Unfortunately the frame doesn't quite fit a bike engine and chain drive.

So I am wondering if anybody have a Spare Renault engine sitting about at a really good price – that ran when removed? Doesn’t need to be sealed for me! I have all the “bits” to add on - and even a spare 5 speed. I could do a "plug and play" and work the other engine as time permits. Maybe a Formula Renault engine tranny combo? Or, unsealed Ford engine and tranny combo?

PM me here or respond in thread please! Meanwhile, I've pulled the engine and head to the shop this morning to begin a tear down.

Cheers - Jim