Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 91

Just exchanged some messages with my former instructor at Derek Daly. The cars were FF2000's he says.

Formula Ford 2000. Jeff Shaffer with Team Green actually won with the car at Phoenix in ff2000. Best 2.0 liter car at the time and the best school cars in history of racing school next to the formula Renault at the elf Winfield program in France which me Jeff and Richie Hearn were a part of

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Just exchanged some messages with my former instructor at Derek Daly. The cars were FF2000's he says.
    Not the sort of FF2000 you would be racing, assuming you actually decided to race. Techincally Skippy series cars are F2000, but they are buckets. I would venture a guess that the Daly cars were the same.
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NPalacioM3 View Post
    Not the sort of FF2000 you would be racing, assuming you actually decided to race. Techincally Skippy series cars are F2000, but they are buckets. I would venture a guess that the Daly cars were the same.
    Yeah, I'm thinking they were OLD SCHOOL F2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Thanks for all your suggestions Patman, I didn't intend to sound harsh.

Speaking of Lotus, are you coming to PIR for the Club Lotus day?

Quote Originally Posted by gcoffin View Post
    Basically it comes down to what you can comfortably fit into mate. FMs are roomy, FCs are generally tighter but vary considerably by make and year, FE I have no idea. If you don't fit its game over.
    ABSOLUTELY! You get the point perfectly! At one time, I wanted an F355. I went to a used dealer in the area who had just gotten one in. And it took about 2 minutes in the driver's seat to realize it wasn't going to happen. I was MUCH too big for the car. *sigh*

As for pumping more horses into an FM, well they are already making 180-190 and are mated up to a gearbox very close to the limit of it's reliability. FCs can maybe add 25 hp before transmission reliability becomes an issue for the LD200, and the older Mk 9, is pretty much at the edge of reliability.
    So, it would be an engine, AND tranny swap. (Not to mention finding a new gearbox that could handle the more power/torque of the new lump). Probably not an easy task, but it HAS to be do-able. (Yes, I know, ANYTHING is do-able if you throw enough money at it.)

Like RSS said come up to the Ridge, and try on some cars. There should be a couple of Mygale FC cars generally the roomiest Ztec cars and a FM or two.
    That's a haul from Hillsboro, but as the date gets closer, I'll have to see how the weather is, and make sure the calendar is clear. If the stars align, I'd LOVE to do that. :-)

Race cars, racers, and the track? :-)

Just had a flash that I thought might be pertinent here. When I bought the Ultrashield seat for my Miata back at the dawn of time, I had to get a 17" wide one. It's a snug fit (like it SHOULD be), but that's what it had to be. That's not because I have the big secretarial spread saddle bags. That's just how wide my pelvis is!

Does this exclude anything to anyone?

Also, I was thinking at 275, it might be impossible for me to make "minimum weight", and as a result I could be doomed to be an eternal back-marker.

Thoughts on this?

Liked: 131

Thanks for all your suggestions Patman, I didn't intend to sound harsh.

Speaking of Lotus, are you coming to PIR for the Club Lotus day?
    No, unfortunately I am way too busy and can't make it. It's a good event though.

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1264

Just had a flash that I thought might be pertinent here. When I bought the Ultrashield seat for my Miata back at the dawn of time, I had to get a 17" wide one. It's a snug fit (like it SHOULD be), but that's what it had to be. That's not because I have the big secretarial spread saddle bags. That's just how wide my pelvis is!

Does this exclude anything to anyone?

Also, I was thinking at 275, it might be impossible for me to make "minimum weight", and as a result I could be doomed to be an eternal back-marker.

Thoughts on this?
    As I said before I'm not as tall, but.... my 240z has a 19" seat 'cause I'm wider in the thighs than the hips/waist (~19"). I've lost 30-35lbs over the last 18 months and that hasn't changed my thighs at all (probably larger from exercise)...
    Leaning against a wall my shoulders are 21.5"-22" wide..... I have to turn and put one shoulder in at a time in a 94VD...

I currently weigh in @227. When a friend help me scale the car last month I was 230.

Car w/me and 5 gal (35lbs) of fuel was 1255 (min weight FC class 1200).
    So @ 210 and empty of fuel I'll just make weight. There is some lead ballast in my car.

I don't think weight is going to make you an eternal back-marker. I know there are some pretty big guys that have been very successful. You can also put the car on a diet.

I put myself on a diet last year for several reasons:
    - turned 50.
    - wanted to race and knew weight was going to be a factor.
    - wanted to feel better
    - realized that as I get older it was going to be tougher to lose
    - realized that as I get older mobility becomes an issue and the fatter the worse...

Make a plan.....

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    No, unfortunately I am way too busy and can't make it. It's a good event though.
    Yeah, I ran it EVERY year in my Miata, and then my Atom. Mark is a great guy, and it's the gold standard for a well run track day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information