Liked: 30

Default LMS: Lending tools and equipment and your time at the track

Not new to racing, and have done it fairly seriously over the years.

I have one of the most stocked enclosed trailers for spares, tools and equipment in our region and somewhat on the West Coast for my type of racing (Auto-x, track day) and have considerable amount of time in planning, aquisition and preparedness with respect to my own cars and my tools and spares I carry. ie: 3 types of welders, 2 generators, compressors, nitrogen, tools and a LOT of spare race fluids, race spares, and supplies aka wires, fittings, AN supplies, oil/water lines and fittings etc. etc. For me the racing was mainly a hobby/lifestyle, but my main business ended up being car related, so yes I would assist customers at the track "gratis".

My question which has been kind of nagging me for some time now is:

At what point do you draw the line on spending your limited downtime at the track to help and repair people's cars ?? I know there's the "good guy" concept in helping others out that are in need, (trust me - been volunteering my time, money and equipment and skills for over 30 years )...... - but at what point do you draw the line when YOU have spent COUNTLESS hours in building your race program to ensure you have as much success and ability to repair and succeed in case stuff breaks, hundreds of thousands in spares and tools and equipment, and you need your downtime to check, prep, prepare and get yourself and your car(s) ready for the race. When you work in the industry as a skilled mechanic and fabricator and charge accordingly during the week - at what point do you draw the line at the track for your know-how, skills, equipment and inventory of parts needed by people who break-down ??

I mean in the real world, if someone doesn't have the skills or tools, or equipment, they hire someone to repair and replace parts that break - so why is it at the track it would be any different ?

Likewise with borrowing of tools - why is it that you spend tens of thousands on your equipment only for others to ask to borrow and sometimes "abuse" your stuff, return it broken or damaged without informing you and NEVER asking to compensate or for literally saving their bacon so that they can continue to race ??

For those that are in the business of "racing", how do you approach this at the track ?

At one point, I was getting so upset at my crew and or people just helping themselves to my tools that I started asking for driver's licenses or Visa cards to guarantee I was getting my stuff back. (I've had bnib angle grinders, and expensive pliers and more walk away, and just recently had to spend several hundred dollars on drill bits, easy outs and other miscellaneous missing tools out of my race tool box. (I have 4 different boxes at my shop and my trailer, so each is fully stocked with it's own assortment of needed tools, so it's not like I need to go into my trailer box to work on a car in my shop. But when you pay for very expensive argon, and nitrogen and carry a large assortment of synthetic race oils - how hard is it for people asking for supplies to understand that it's not Bank-of-Don and that I had to pay for the stuff including taxes out of my own pocket.

Am I out of line in my line of thought ?

Am I getting old and cranky ?

Am I just being the dink for saying things out loud that have festered for years....

I can see good customers that frequent your shop and purchase goods off you to help feed your kids and pay your mortgage you don't mind being there to see that their weekend is smooth, but when complete strangers that do not support your business are asking for supplies without paying for them........ am I not allowed to say no ?

I have a saying that is true, but will often piss people off.

"Since when does your lack of planning constitute an emergency on MY part ??

.........comments...... thoughts..........flame away.....

don

Liked: 1

Have raced 15 years locally, never lost a tool, always have parts replaced, or paid for. Always give help if possible, as do all the local open wheel group. Don't know where or who you are running with, but local CACC and Conference racers are a friendly and helpful bunch.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 502

Help everyone, within reason.
    Invest in a dry erase board, you know the big white one with the multi colored markers.
    Write down, or have the guy "Issuing" the item(s) do it. At the end of the day, or weekend, anything unaccounted for gets billed to the offender. I loan, swap things as well, however any non-consumable loaned requires a deposit....... a quart of oil or a hose clamp, invoice them, no loans, it's a sale. Tools, suspension pieces, deposit. I guess it depends on if you are still running your business at the track, or doing things gratis in good faith.

As far as labor, maybe develop a policy of first come, first serve as far as your time goes. Average how much free time you and your crew have. Have your regular customers "Bank" time. Calculate what your average customer base needs each weekend, and let it be known that they come first. If any is left, non customers get the time at a preset rate.
    Sounds like you may have a chance to turn this into an opportunity, using an additional guy or gal that has basic knowledge, can be trusted to distribute inventory while accounting for and billing it. Also, he/she can do labor at a billing rate, or customers can split the cost for the rate based on first come, first serve.

I know that I am very lucky to have ANY of the time from the guy that put our series together and takes care of and transports 5-10 cars per event, especially since my effort is always my own. Some weekends, I am glad I didn't pay for transport and trackside support. Other weekends, I am sorry I didn't have it, depends on which way the winds of unknown problems blow.

With the amount of investment that you have and bring, I would model after what an SCCA Spec Racer/FE rep does.
    Last edited by marshall9; 07.29.15 at 1:20 AM.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

It sounds like people have been taking advantage of you generosity, that is too bad. As for your time, put a sign up with "I will help you if I have time, I am here to race too". I agree with the white board idea also, that way everybody else knows who has what tool. Of course charge for oils and the likes, they would have to buy it at a store so why not buy it now. You should also add in your tax and mark-up. If they have to pay more for it being convenient then that be it. If they don't like it, too bad. Have a donation bucket with a note on it for how grateful are you for my services, help the racer in me. It is a shame that it has come to this. It is one thing to have someone help you out but to take advantage of that is terrible. Good luck and start charging. Those who appreciate your help won't mind, those who don't will come better prepared next time.
    Graham

Liked: 39

We had similar problems while racing snowmobiles. Were sponsored by a manufacturer and got lots of free parts so guys assumed we should just give them away. We put up a small sign and a whiteboard. Name goes on whiteboard, part and date. If it wasn't replaced, returned or paid for (75% of retail) no more parts for you.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 860

I always try to be helpful but since I'm usually at the track by myself, I don't get asked to go help anyone very often!

Had an experience with a very well known prep guy back in California who, for some reason, didn't have rivets or a gun and found an issue with a car he was running for a customer. I gave him whatever he needed to get his repair done, no worries. Fast forward a couple months and I went off in the Corkscrew and asked about a part. He nicely sold it to me, full pop. Ok, he runs a business, no big deal. But the worst was when I was selling my DB1 and I suggested that the buyer have a professional look at it to ensure he was getting exactly what I described. Well, this "professional" told my buyer that he couldn't tell if the car was any good but he just so happened to have a CF for a little less! So my buyer backed out and I had to bring the car to TN! Funny thing, the car was bought by a guy in AZ who won a championship with it fairly quickly!

Anyway, I still try to be nice but it isn't always rewarded. I let a guy use a CV joint (lightened) and some other misc bolts to get things back together after he wrecked his car, we exchanged cards but never heard from him and when I saw him earlier this year, no mention of the parts. I will be "out" if he needs anything else....

That said, most people have been very kind and generous with me. I try to buy things from people because my memory is terrible! I think I still owe Cliff Johnson something but I can't remember what it was! I should just mail him an anonymous gift card....
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

You are either in the business of providing services or you are not. If not, your stuff is not available for loan unless to your most trusted friends.

If you provide a valuable service I see no reason not to put a price tag on it. You just need to make the transition from free to paying very clear.

I see it as a business opportunity.
    Last edited by Ralph Z.; 08.01.15 at 9:19 AM.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 113

My policy in general is anything less than $20 I tend to provide as a gesture of goodwill -but they have to talk to me personally. My crew members know that the person has to talk to me directly - they do not give out anything.

A more expensive part has to be replaced in kind or returned at the end of the weekend before they go home.

Tools are only loaned out to a person who has shown they can be trusted. Otherwise someone is sent to watch them and bring the tool back.

If people are using you as a parts and consumables sources you need to be acting like a business - get an square credit card reader or the like and charge a reasonable price but make sure you are not losing money when you provide something.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 930

I can't believe that another racer would be as cheeky to take parts without paying for them or returning them.

Not returning or returning tools in a damaged state simply is way over the top.

An old racer told me the first rule of racing is "Thou shalt not screw thy buddy".

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 319

Default As Tuco would say:

"There are two types of people, my friend..."

I'm guessing that it is a small percentage of schmucks that are treating you and your stuff this way and the rest are grateful for your time, tools, parts, and expertise? If not, you're racing with the wrong group of blokes.

Some good suggestions here though on how to stop it. You also might try printing this thread and taping it to the inside of your trailer door.

You're not getting old and grumpy, you're being used.

Kip
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1909

No freebee's until my car is on stands, waxed with it's cover on. In 30 years I've been screwed out of 2 complete halfshaft assy's by some wanker I never saw again. I've probably loaned out $10K in parts and tools over the years without a single issue except for that one time.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

What is this "wax" you speak of?
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

18. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 9

Default Help Those That Help Themselves

A couple of thoughts on the subject:
    I'm always eager to help someone get started in this game. I hope everyone lends a hand to the beginner.
    If someone takes the time to prepare for the event, yet is caught out by the unusual occurrence, (it could be you), do what you'd like someone to do for you, and maybe more.
    On the other hand, if somebody shows up not prepared, or with the same problem they had at the last event where you help them...I'm less eager.
    I don't dwell on it, but 30 years ago a fellow racer wouldn't loan me a starting battery he wasn't using at the time and I guess I never forgot it.

Be sure to have fun yourself and spread some happiness if you can.

20. The following 4 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    What is this "wax" you speak of?

Stuff to make it shiny. He is really serious about car prep if he waxes it at the track....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Stuff to make it shiny. He is really serious about car prep if he waxes it at the track....
    Thanks Steve. Does it make the car faster or is Mike just trying to say that no one should go near him at the track?
    Garey Guzman

I think he means that leave him alone until he is done with the car (s) he is taking care of.

It may make it go that little tiny bit faster.

I remember in the 60's when I was a little kid someone telling me that either Foyt or Mario insisted on something like 15 coats of wax on their car cause that would make it go faster...

Liked: 30

Thanx everyone for your feedback......

Had a 2 day event locally and as usual, had the countless parade of people wanting this, or wanting that...

I finally voiced my frustration to my regular friends at how I'm finally getting pissed off at being the parts store for everyone around and I think they are beginning to understand my frustration. (I actually let a person drive one of my racecars several weeks back as his car ruptured a radiator. Car was being rented out to 2 other customers and my car was actually "offered" by another person. Think I got some funds for use of gas and race tires ?... nope. Think I got a beer or a card saying thanx ? nope. Think this person will ever get seat time in another of my cars ? NOPE.

Said NO on several occasions this weekend for ill-prepared people wanting free tape, fuel, tools. It felt GOOD. (my friends just smiling and laughing under their breath as the dejected moochers walked away even though they could see their desired part/supply sitting on my trailer counter..... My second favourite line I used was "oh....the parts store a few miles away is open this weekend......no SERIOUSLY it IS open ! "

I finally LOCKED my tool box while I was out on course so that people would stop just helping themselves to my stuff. (one person said "thanx...I borrowed a tool without asking but I figured it was o.k. so I went ahead anyway") I'm thinking I need a proximity alarm on my trailer......that or get a much more meaner pit-dog !! (Golden Retriever just doesn't cut it as guard dog..... lol)

I guess I really do need to have a catalog of items in my rig, along with pricing of cost and what I should mark up as my regular mark up....... but it would literally be a very large book.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

WOW! Good for you. You really do have a problem with folks taking advantage. Sounds like you have sent the message. Best of luck going forward.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by PDM075 View Post
    I'm thinking I need a proximity alarm on my trailer......that or get a much more meaner pit-dog !! (Golden Retriever just doesn't cut it as guard dog..... lol)
    Perhaps that's why they call them.... PIT Bulls.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1909

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    I think he means that leave him alone until he is done with the car (s) he is taking care of.

It means that I can't find one more single thing to check, adjust or service. Kind of the icing on the cake sort of thing. It also shows my cars are ready when they hit the grid.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

29. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information