Liked: 5

Default Stohr F1000 Titan steering rack wanted

We think the rack on one of our cars is suspect.
    Apparently they are custom.
    Dauntless has some on order but not in stock.

Does anyone have a spare to sell?

Thanks in advance.

Liked: 11

Default Likely a Woodward Unit

Ivin,

It is likely a Woodward WR Series Steering Rack. --> http://www.woodwardsteering.com/

You can rebuild it yourself or send it to them to be serviced. Repair services for racks and related components are in the link below.

http://www.woodwardsteering.com/PDF/...al%20Parts.pdf

There is an adjusting locating eccentric located in one of the mounting holes of the red cover to eliminate some of the on-center play in the steering wheel.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Richard,
    Early cars definitely have Titan racks.

Liked: 273

What makes you think the rack has a problem?
    Is this related to the steering vibration under braking you've recently posted.
    Does this rack have Dauphine or Dallara rack ends?
    We build steering racks, I'd be willing to look at it if you need a professional opinion.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Gary, yes we are chasing the vibration on Pete's car. Eric Langbein had the car in his shop and went over "everything" and tested yesterday and the vibration is still there. I will post an update on the other thread.
    We dropped the car off on transport wheels, and the rack seemed ok, but on race tires, there is some play. I am not sure about the rack ends. I will look into it. Thanks for the offer to inspect it. We are hoping to make the NJMP Majors next week so we will try to rebuild the rack locally. I will keep you posted.

Liked: 273

Ivin-
    Three things to look at on your rack. If it is a Titan rack it will have a helical involute pinion, not just straight cut teeth. This allows for more teeth to be engaged at anytime.

1) check for excessive backlash in the pinion gear. Any more than a perceptible amount of play should be removed. There should be a backlash preload adjuster on this rack. This basically bends the rack bar to remove backlash.
    2) Worn rack bushings. Grab the ends of the rack and feel for any movement radially. Any movement should be removed.
    3) Rack ends need to be tight, zero play. If they are Dauphine ends look for a broken preload spring. Dallara ends have a Delrin cup which can be easily shimmed to tighten them up.

Hope this helps some.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Thread Information