Liked: 3

Default Live in sub-division, trailer storage options?

I'm trying to get things lined up so that I can buy a small race car and one of my bigger hurdles is where to store the trailer. I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem and might have some advice. The trailer doesn't need to be extremely large but it does need to be enclosed. 20-24' tops.

I live in a sub-division. Between the tiny yard and HOA I can't keep a trailer at my house. I'm still checking with friends to see if anyone has some space somewhere but I'm also trying to avoid having it sit in grass or anything like that as well. Perfect world it would be covered but at least sitting on concrete, asphalt, gravel, something.

I've looked into a couple of those self storage type places and even one meant for RVs, boats, etc. but $230/mo seems a bit crazy to store a trailer. Maybe it isn't. Outside storage, which is basically just a parking space is reasonably priced but not sure I want all my tools, spares, or my race car if I needed it out of the garage for a bit to just be sitting there waiting for someone to steal them.

Figured I would check to see what advice people here might have...aside from moving.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by zookie View Post
    I'm trying to get things lined up so that I can buy a small race car and one of my bigger hurdles is where to store the trailer. I'm hoping someone here has had a similar problem and might have some advice. The trailer doesn't need to be extremely large but it does need to be enclosed. 20-24' tops.

I live in a sub-division. Between the tiny yard and HOA I can't keep a trailer at my house. I'm still checking with friends to see if anyone has some space somewhere but I'm also trying to avoid having it sit in grass or anything like that as well. Perfect world it would be covered but at least sitting on concrete, asphalt, gravel, something.

I've looked into a couple of those self storage type places and even one meant for RVs, boats, etc. but $230/mo seems a bit crazy to store a trailer. Maybe it isn't. Outside storage, which is basically just a parking space is reasonably priced but not sure I want all my tools, spares, or my race car if I needed it out of the garage for a bit to just be sitting there waiting for someone to steal them.

Figured I would check to see what advice people here might have...aside from moving.
    try other trailer storage places. I store my 30 ft tag for $35/month.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Wow, is that outdoors or inside? If outdoors have you had any problems with vandalism or theft?

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by zookie View Post
    Wow, is that outdoors or inside? If outdoors have you had any problems with vandalism or theft?
    outdoors. fenced, good security, no problems.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Thanks, two more questions.

Do they have 24x7 staffed security people there?

Do you leave your race car(s) in it or just tools, spares, etc?

Was nervous about leaving the trailer in an open space (which are reasonably priced) but if you're doing it that's comforting.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Anywhere from $100-$150 seems to be the norm for 24/7 fenced storage. I have a slot in West Palm @$150/mo for a tractor trailer; cameras, lights, gate and fence. There are three racing rigs in the lot. Keep looking. And yes, we leave everything in the rig.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

In the Midwest, maybe out beyond a beltway, $1/ft/mo should be about the going rate. LA, SFO, FL, NY, DC, that's a whole 'nother market.

Trick is to make stealing it a huge PITA. Use a ball lock. Put a lock in the ball catch. Use really big-ass circular locks on the doors and a bar-lock side door instead of the RV style side door. If you want to get real fancy, crank the tongue jack down all the way so the nose is sky high, drill through the assembly, and lock that. And you can also run chains through the holes in the wheels.

Then buy STP insurance.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 435

I have also heard of regional airports. Good security etc.
    Graham

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

obviously time to sell that house!

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 3787

i know a few folks that had custom trailers built to fit in their garages.

Liked: 113

Default Trailer storage

If you have not bought a car yet then consider a FV / F500 or F600. Don't buy a trailer for the first couple of years. All of these cars can easily fit in a 6x12 cargo trailer which you can rent locally - even from U haul. Make storage of the trailer the problem of some one else for the first couple of years. You won't be able to store anything in the trailer - but you probably won't anyway initially -particularly if it is sitting in off site storage.

You will likely find racer friends from your area which may have a lead on storage location in your area. Some may even have a good place to store a trailer.

Ultimately if you are going to get serious about racing you will want to change residence to an area which has less restrictions if at all possible. This typically means older subdivisions with larger lots - and older style houses.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

SPT insurance makes outside storage an option. Course it costs the same as outside storage itself but at least it would also cover transport and paddock as well.

Buying land is an idea though I'd probably expand on that and buy land where I can live as well. Kids in school and all that makes where we live work well for them but it's horrible for my racing needs.

Mark, F600 is exactly what I have been getting into. I've rented them twice and will probably continue to rent for races but I'd like to get one for test days, etc just to get more seat time. I have zero racing experience before this year and I have a lot of catching up to do. Renting a trailer is something I hadn't thought of. Those cargo trailers are only $30/day and the car will fit in my garage between track days. I guess I was thinking I would need a lot of room for wet and spare tires, gas, parts/tools that I will inevitably need for track side repairs, generator, air compressor, etc. Some, or maybe even a lot of that, could easily fit in my tow vehicle (extended SUV). I'm sure I can make it work. That would give me some time to possibly move or at least delay the costs that come with buying and storing a trailer until I get deeper into this game.

Thanks all!

I store my Silverado and 14' enclosed trailer at a storage facility for $85 per month. Its fenced in and requires an access code to enter. tons of cameras. The only thing I don't like is there are a lot of contractor and landscapers that store their stuff there too. And I don't trust them.... I don't leave the car or tools in it if I don't have to but if I get back late on a Sunday night, I'll leave it for a day or 2.
    Nick Sullivan
    F5 #92
    '97 Red Devil T-27
    facebook.com/SullySpeedShop twitter.com/SullysSpeedShop

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    try other trailer storage places. I store my 30 ft tag for $35/month.
    That's an awesome deal! I wish there was something more reasonable near me.
    Nick Sullivan
    F5 #92
    '97 Red Devil T-27
    facebook.com/SullySpeedShop twitter.com/SullysSpeedShop

Liked: 10

I paid (and will pay again) $25/month to store my 10' enclosed trailer for my F500, here in Huntington WV. Outside, on gravel. I only had a cable lock through the wheel, fenced in place, locked at night. But they came in when the owner was gone, snipped the cable with bolt cutters, and stole my trailer a year and a half ago.

Cops raided a drug house a few weeks back and found my trailer, in still-good condition. (Time for new tires anyway) I watched a fair amount of Youtube and saw that bolt cutters can easily and quickly take off nearly any padlock, even the ones with shoulders that cover most of the bolt. Even the $150 ones from Europe. And the hitch locks. . . They can just use your safety chains (or theirs) and tow the trailer to a place to spend more time on it. All but one of those are shown being easily cut off with bolt cutters.

I own a Brahma wheel boot. A heavy-duty version of what the cops use to immobilize cars. $250 delivered to the states, email Brahma (Canada) directly. It weighs about 40 pounds, heavy steel. Still, a serious thief. . . I do not plan to leave locks on all of the doors, so the potential thieves won't feel the need to cut one of my keyed-the-same locks off to look for tools.

And note that with low ground clearance it can be a challenge to get an F600 into a trailer. Particularly one without a dropped axle, beavertail, folding ramp extensions. . .

Chris Eckles

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

If you're truly concerned about break - ins and theft, a GPS tracker system can be installed to notify you if the trailer moves and where it is. Coupled with an entry alarm and you could be on site to see where your trailer used to be

The key is to slow the thieves down. Make it a huge pita to break into or steal the trailer. If you're outside, back the trailer up to a wall and get your side door so close to another stationary object so they can't open the doors.

At my local track I'm called the 'locksmith ' because I keep a large pair of bolt cutters on my truck and in my garage. Someone is always forgetting the keys to their paddock. A truly tough lock takes me three seconds to cut loose.

Put the trailer up on jack stands and take the wheels with you. Etc.

Or, just buy truly good replacement STP insurance and sleep soundly.

If you're near any farm land, you may find inexpensive storage inside a pole barn or a boat storage yard. If you have a short track nearby, take a walk through the pits and ask the racers. You may be able to 'double up' with someone.

Happy hunting !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 123

Will a F600 fit in the back of a Sprinter van, or a pickup truck?

Brian

Liked: 183

a long term option would be to get yourself elected to the HOA, then override all the complaints about the trailer in your driveway.

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Trailer

Zachary, let me know if you need a good trailer very reasonable. I live in Cincinnati and I am helping Mike Kolthoff's wife sell a number of racing items after his passing to raise money for a scholarship in his name. She has a fully outfitted trailer just north of West Chester that we are selling. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Thanks

Joe Fisher

Joe, PM sent. Kind of like the cargo trailer idea at the moment but if it's the right fit, I'm all for helping her out.

Liked: 11

My hoa allows trailers and rv type outside but we can't have storage sheds...most hoa rules are useless.

I have thought about an enclosed trailer just to keep the car in when not working on it to save space in the garage...in winter put my lawn equipment in it and car inside for overhauls. My hang up is not just price but my suv is only rated for around 3,500 pounds.

Liked: 87

One good rule is always make sure your trailer is stored in a place where its not the biggest piece of eye candy. I have found that its much less likely to be broken into when its parked next to a nice stacker operation...
    Mike

Liked: 24

Default trailer theft

Paint your phone number on the trailer roof in big numbers (just in case). Make them about 2/3 width of the roof. chances are the thief won't see them
    numbers are there

Dave Coughlin

28. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information