Thread: Brom Clegg

Liked: 83

Default Brom Clegg

On March 2, 2015 our great friend, mentor, data geek and sponsor Brom Clegg passed away, he was 84. I’m sure some of the APEX speed readers remember him from his FF days.

Brom is a 50+ year member of SCCA and was on the Ohio region BoD that was responsible for helping to build Mid-Ohio and he participated in the first race held there.

He raced a 59 Alpha in the early days in the Ohio area. After moving to San Jose he moved to Formula Ford and after a few misadventures teamed up then FV racer Glen Biren. They shared the FF for a time until Brom decided he was better at being a team manager/owner than a driver. He owned 4 or 5 different FF’s over the years he and Glen raced. Glen and Brom were the team to beat, the standard of performance in FF on the west coast.

In the SF Region Brom also served on the BoD as treasurer and for a time was even a Steward.

Brom and the late Bill Mitchell were great friends and collaborators.

After he retired from a long career at IBM he became an avid back packer and hiker. He missed some of our races and test days when he was off on week long back packing trips.

He worked with us on the DSR/P2 race car since the early 90’s and was responsible for much of the success we have achieved. His FF’s were yellow and so was our DSR. He insisted on putting data acquisition on the car and his quest for understanding pushed my driving shills, set up techniques and car prep to new levels. The first time we headed to a test day with the DA on board I was nervous to the point of anxiety, after all I knew about all the mistakes and he didn’t. His words to me “stop worrying and just drive the car, you are good at it, the DA is not going to tell you to get a new hobby”.

He has been a friend to Katie and I for over 40 years. We have enjoyed each other’s company in numerous ways over the years. Brom his late wife Vickie, Katie and I had season tickets to the San Jose rep up until 2 years ago. Once a month we would go to “dinner group”, about 15 of us mostly racers have dinner at a different ethnic restaurant each month.

He will be very much missed.

Liked: 259

really sad news; Brom was a super nice guy and smart as a whip (IBM engineer). he and his "toys" will be greatly missed

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Art Smith; 03.07.17 at 2:30 AM.

Thread Information