Liked: 5

Default Shipping a car from UK to US

Good morning,

Found a potential car but it is located within the UK. Has anyone ever shipped a car from the UK to the US? If so what is the approximate cost to ship a car over to the US.

I am sure there is a ton of paperwork that is needed as well.

Thanks for any information you may have.

Josh

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Costs about $2k total. The Apex brain trust will have all the info you need when they see your post.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Call Jeff Lunk

Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 81

I shipped a Mallock MK16 over back in 1998.
    The cost then was only about $750 but it took a while to convince customs that it was not a street car and would never be street driven. They were friendly and curious once they learned of it and there were no subsequent problems.
    I used Maggelan Shipping in Englewood NJ.
    Shipped from Southampton to Port Elizabeth NJ

Liked: 95

Default UK shipping

Also remember that you likely need to call a customs broker to post a bond. Usually you need 2. One from UK to USA and a second from USA customs dock to your shipping address as I doubt you can pick up at customs. I couldn't anyway. You are not a bonded carrier to release it to. Count on it being inspected and there is a cost billed to you basically for them doing their job. This sometimes is handled by the broker writing the bond then passed on to you for payment before it moves from customs. Customs did not charge me much. Make damn sure the UK guy uses the right wood if it's a crate as they are spastic about that. I am not kidding. Don't let it scare you off just more crap to do that's all.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 102

Default Currently involved in the same process

Quote Originally Posted by jgiordano3375 View Post
    Good morning,

Found a potential car but it is located within the UK. Has anyone ever shipped a car from the UK to the US? If so what is the approximate cost to ship a car over to the US.

I am sure there is a ton of paperwork that is needed as well.

Thanks for any information you may have.

Josh
    FIRST: You must get an EPA exemption for any race car imported to the US.

Email : John LaCroix Lacroix.john@epa.gov
    ask him for the forms, he will give you very specific directions on how to apply for the exemption.

Shipping will vary from $2000 to $4500 depending on which ports are used and the amount of overland trucking involved (at both ends).

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Shipping cars

It's a lot of work, and there is a lot of paper, but detailed planning can make it less painful. Will you be able to pick it up at the port of entry, or will you need another carrier to take it to your location?

As mentioned, your best bet is to contact an experienced race car freight forwarder in the UK. My last shipment was a little over $2K, but I built the crate myself.

Good luck!
    Larry Oliver
    Larry Oliver

Thread Information