Liked: 3

Default Airplane with helmet, HANS, suit, etc

I'm flying to a race school and renting a car so I need to travel with my safety gear. I'm going to check a bag but it's going to be the stuff that won't ruin my weekend, like regular clothes, etc.

I want to take all my race gear as a carry-on. The problem is the airlines rules.

Here are their rules because my flight is a regional US Airways Express flight.

Carry-on rules for US Airways Express
    Not sure if you're on a US Airways Express flight? Please check your confirmation. If you're on a flight operated by Air Wisconsin, Mesa, Piedmont, PSA, Republic, SkyWest or Trans States, you're allowed to carry on 2 items:
    1 personal item (such as a purse or laptop) in the cabin, and
    1 small carry-on bag, which will be tagged, placed in the cargo bin and returned to you plane-side or on the loading bridge when you arrive

Their carry-on rules are:
    Your carry-on bag can be up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels.

I've read a couple posts on this forum and on the web about absolutely keeping your helmet (and everything for that matter) with you inside the plane but given the above rules I just don't think that's going to happen on this little regional jet. I'm going to ask if they will put it in the first class cabin, if they even have one, or keep it in their area maybe.

The question is what type of bag you think might work out the best. I don't have one of those helmet specific bags but I've been looking at a few helmet/hans bags online. I'm just not sure if there is enough room in these small bags (and even they barely meet the carry-on size limits) to surround the helmet with either my suit or some other soft cloth for when it gets handled by the airline.

A cracked helmet, etc will ruin my weekend so that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

You could put your helmet, Hans, race gear all in a back pack to carry on. Check a small suitcase for other stuff that doesn't fit.

A pair of jeans will get you. Remember, shirts are good for at least two days. When it gets dirty, turn it inside-out. Now, you have a 'clean side' for another day.

Seriously, get there early with all your driving essentials in one bag and plead your case. IF your budget allows, buy the seat next to you for your gear.

Most importantly. .. Enjoy the experience !
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 27

Why don't you put it in a box and ship it ??
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 232

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Chevy View Post
    Why don't you put it in a box and ship it ??
    We, as a four member family, traveled for many years, at least three if not four times a year, from Fla to PA, to visit family. Once the airline began charging for bags that is EXACTLY what we did - FedEx Ground, (4 days) total costs was less than $50.00 for four for "all our stuff" just packing the essential in a carry-on - May I suggest drop off at FedEx Kinkos then to the Hotel - then back to where you work (Business to Business Discount)

- The suggestion of Helmet and Hans in back pack excellent -@ motorcycle 118.com (who sell monster branded bags - $29.99)

http://www.motorcycle118.com/new-bag...e#.VMYIXbl0zPQ

this back pack can hold ALL your racing gear was well as the helmet/hans and take a small carry-on bag as well just for the essentials ............

OOPS .......... HAVE FUN !!!!!!

Liked: 123

In the last 6 - 9 months many airlines got serious about carry on bag dimensions. About the same time as they started charging for the first checked bag. That backpack, loaded with stuff and a helmet, might not fit the 9" dimension.

Brian

Liked: 232

Default True ..............

.......But they will "gate check" at the plane - drop off at the steps - bring it to you at the steps; no chance of loss, risk of damage alot less ......!

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 24

so are under-ware.....
    Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    You could put your helmet, Hans, race gear all in a back pack to carry on. Check a small suitcase for other stuff that doesn't fit.

A pair of jeans will get you. Remember, shirts are good for at least two days. When it gets dirty, turn it inside-out. Now, you have a 'clean side' for another day.

Seriously, get there early with all your driving essentials in one bag and plead your case. IF your budget allows, buy the seat next to you for your gear.

Most importantly. .. Enjoy the experience !

Liked: 296

Mail your equipment to the race shop who is prepping the car. You can mail it long in advance, and you know that it will be at the track with the race car.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

I've run into this situation before when the airplane's carry-on baggage area was too small for the allowed carry-on baggage. You left your carry-on with the crew when you went on, and then it was sitting on a table for you when you walked off the plane. It added about 2 mins to the process and was no big deal. The process appeared to be independent of the baggage handlers. It was a US Airways flight with Air Wisconsin.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

I fly with a motorcycle helmet and gear several times a year. On short trips I usually carry the helmet on in its own bag and I have never had a problem with it being counted as an extra carry on, even when I had a total of three bags. The only time I had an issue was on a small plane going to South Dakota where the overheads were too small to stow it, so I had to stash it under the seat. Helmets don't squish very well, but it would take a serious hit to crack one. Not something I would personally worry too much about considering my experience with them in various bags.
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Liked: 319

Default wear the helmet and HANS

When they ask you about it respond: "I've flown with this pilot before, have you?"
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

14. The following 5 users liked this post:

Liked: 22

FedEx the most reliable carrier shipped 1,200,000,000 packages in 2012... with a FAIL ratio of 0.55 %.... so they LOST... how many packages?, yea want one of them to be your gear?

CARRY ON and be safe!

http://www.statisticbrain.com/fedex-company-statistics/

Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 177

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post
    When they ask you about it respond: "I've flown with this pilot before, have you?"
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Offcamber1 View Post

Would vacation insurance cover the cost of the event if the airline lost / damaged the gear?

If you ship, ship early and insure for replacement cost and have the school inspect when the package arrives.

Could we get a debrief after the event?

Have fun!

Chris

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by zookie View Post
    I'm flying to a race school and renting a car so I need to travel with my safety gear. I'm going to check a bag but it's going to be the stuff that won't ruin my weekend, like regular clothes, etc.

I want to take all my race gear as a carry-on. The problem is the airlines rules.

Here are their rules because my flight is a regional US Airways Express flight.

Carry-on rules for US Airways Express
    Not sure if you're on a US Airways Express flight? Please check your confirmation. If you're on a flight operated by Air Wisconsin, Mesa, Piedmont, PSA, Republic, SkyWest or Trans States, you're allowed to carry on 2 items:
    1 personal item (such as a purse or laptop) in the cabin, and
    1 small carry-on bag, which will be tagged, placed in the cargo bin and returned to you plane-side or on the loading bridge when you arrive

Their carry-on rules are:
    Your carry-on bag can be up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in) or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels.

I've read a couple posts on this forum and on the web about absolutely keeping your helmet (and everything for that matter) with you inside the plane but given the above rules I just don't think that's going to happen on this little regional jet. I'm going to ask if they will put it in the first class cabin, if they even have one, or keep it in their area maybe.

The question is what type of bag you think might work out the best. I don't have one of those helmet specific bags but I've been looking at a few helmet/hans bags online. I'm just not sure if there is enough room in these small bags (and even they barely meet the carry-on size limits) to surround the helmet with either my suit or some other soft cloth for when it gets handled by the airline.

A cracked helmet, etc will ruin my weekend so that's what I'm trying to avoid.

I have flown many times with my gear. Here's how to do it:

Helmet/hans in a backpack or hard shell helmet bag as a carry on. If the plane is full, you might have to tuck it under your seat or hold it but definitely have it as a carry on. Gear put in a small duffle bag or in with your "normal" clothes in a "carry on" sized suitcase. Again, if there's room take it as a carry on and put it up top. If not then have them check it at the gate. That way there are no baggage handlers to loose your important things.

I traveled a lot last year and did this all the time and have never had an issue. Basically, do whatever you can to keep it with you and protected.
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Wear it

Was pilot for United Express (Mesa, UGH), worse case situation: wear the helmet: Doctor "requires you need to "b'cause you had an operation 3 months ago"

Thread Information