Classifieds Super License dsmithwc04's Avatar
    Liked: 178

Default Does the lower side pod need to be removed?

I've got every body panel off the car except the fuse side panels and the lower side pods. I'm trying to keep the lower side pods on to remove the side panels on the fuselage but no go. I removed the bolt going through the frame, fuselage panel and lower side pod near where the drivers hip would be located but it doesn't want to pull up. Am I missing something? This is where building the car would have helped instead of buying used!

The body is going off to paint and while its there I will be going over every inch of this car. Any advice on important things to check while I'm going through the car would be most appreciated!
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 77

You can remove the side panels with the lower side pods still on the car, but you might need to loosen them.
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Liked: 8

You can remove the side panels with the lower side pod on, BUT, the sides get caught on the panels around the top of the fuel tank, at the driver's back. These can be removed to make it easier. Usually some beer and cursing help.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 218

Bungee the radiators and oil cooler up and remove the lower side pods anyway. If you're going that deep in the car, you should see how they attach, etc. I would think they need painting as well. They seem like the first thing to get banged up by rocks, etc.

If you took out that bolt that goes from inside the cockpit through the side panel and into the front section of the lower side pod, you can take the side panels off. They do get caught up by the "firewall" panels on each side of your shoulders but you can usually get them off anyway.
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Quote Originally Posted by pschneider View Post
    You can remove the side panels with the lower side pod on, BUT, the sides get caught on the panels around the top of the fuel tank, at the driver's back. These can be removed to make it easier. Usually some beer and cursing help.
    I don't know about the beer but the cursing seamed to help plenty.

BTW: I noticed this on top of the oil pump manifold. I was going to remove the manifold and drill and tap for a oil temp sensor and then I saw what looks like perhaps a plug? I haven't seen this on any other car so maybe I'm luck and I can use it for the oil temp sensor. Or should I even worry about oil temp since it has the oil coolers?

Liked: 8

My first oil pump is just like yours; the removable plug. I drilled and taped a hole in it for an oil temp sensor, following the Mumm Brothers site. My second, newer, oil pump does not have the plug, necessitating drill and tap of the manifold itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pschneider View Post
    My first oil pump is just like yours; the removable plug. I drilled and taped a hole in it for an oil temp sensor, following the Mumm Brothers site. My second, newer, oil pump does not have the plug, necessitating drill and tap of the manifold itself.
    Good news: Way easier to drill and tap the plug rather than remove the manifold and tap it!

Bad news: I have an older style pump, is this something that should be addressed or....?

Also, I noticed what appeared to be a solenoid attached to either the clutch or brake line located to the left of drivers hip area once I removed the body panel. I was literally walking out the door as I noticed it and haven't been back in the shop to confirm which line it is on. The solenoid is then wired into a toggle switch on the switch panel. Any ideas what the heck this is?

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Lower side pod = side pod floor
    Fuselage = Chassis

I'm a nomenclature freak - Like I tell my crewchief - "words have specific meanings, and when incorrect or not 100% specific words are chosen, that opens the door for confusification!

As for the oil temp fitting, there are specialty fittings that attach to the end of an AN hose, one end male, the other female, with a 1/8 NPT threaded hole in the middle section for a temp sender.
    Easy and doesn't weigh much.

GC

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Lower side pod = side pod floor
    Fuselage = Chassis

I'm a nomenclature freak - Like I tell my crewchief - "words have specific meanings, and when incorrect or not 100% specific words are chosen, that opens the door for confusification!

As for the oil temp fitting, there are specialty fittings that attach to the end of an AN hose, one end male, the other female, with a 1/8 NPT threaded hole in the middle section for a temp sender.
    Easy and doesn't weigh much.

GC
    Agreed, just like there is the right tool for the job there is also the correct term for the description.

I like the idea of the AN fitting to add the temp sensor into the system. Question is, what is the best location for getting meaningful temperature readings on the oil system. I would imagine the AN fitting on the bottom of the oil pump towards the rear of the car? I will ponder that for a moment. I'm still on the fence on just taking the plug out of the top of the pump and just tapping it for the 1/8" NPT sensor since it is easy.....and free as I already have a tap and die set..

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    Agreed, just like there is the right tool for the job there is also the correct term for the description.

I like the idea of the AN fitting to add the temp sensor into the system. Question is, what is the best location for getting meaningful temperature readings on the oil system. I would imagine the AN fitting on the bottom of the oil pump towards the rear of the car? I will ponder that for a moment. I'm still on the fence on just taking the plug out of the top of the pump and just tapping it for the 1/8" NPT sensor since it is easy.....and free as I already have a tap and die set..
    The oil tank. My tank has a weld on fitting where you can fit a temperature sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by jcorsico View Post
    The oil tank. My tank has a weld on fitting where you can fit a temperature sensor.
    I just went out and noticed that same plug on mine. I wonder if it's 1/8" NPT... Anybody see any fault with getting oil temps from the tank instead of inline from the pump? I would imagine the oil in the tank would be roughly the same temp as getting the sample from the top of the pump where mumm racing drilled for theirs since the pump is pulling the oil right next to where the welded bung is on the tank.

Liked: 45

Quote Originally Posted by dsmithwc04 View Post
    I just went out and noticed that same plug on mine. I wonder if it's 1/8" NPT... Anybody see any fault with getting oil temps from the tank instead of inline from the pump? I would imagine the oil in the tank would be roughly the same temp as getting the sample from the top of the pump where mumm racing drilled for theirs since the pump is pulling the oil right next to where the welded bung is on the tank.
    If I recall correctly, the factory thread was BSP or something else funky. I used a Bosch NTC M12-H sensor (part number 0 281 002 170). I had to re-tap the oil tank to accept this sensor (it's a 12 mm thread), but the re-tapping worked fine. I couldn't find a sensor that fit the factory thread, although they are probably a dime a dozen in England.

I assume the in-tank measurements are going to be more accurate than measuring off the scavenge line. The scavenge line is going to include tons of air.

So it's probably the same thread as a miata oil pressure sender.. 1/8 British thread. I have an adapter to 1/8 npt so that would work.

Thread Information