Contributing Member Chet Zerlin's Avatar
    Liked: 4

Default Different State Requirements for CDL?

In considering the size trailer we will get to tow our two FE's we are wondering what is the truck/trailer weight combination that we need to stay under to avoid needing a CDL and to avoid needing to stop at weigh stations. We will be towing with a Ford F350 dually.

Would anyone have this information? Is it different based on what state we are driving in or is a the same everywhere in the US?

Thanks!
    Chet

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

As far as I know, if you do not put graphics on the trailer, you will not need a CDL. If you keep it as a private, not for hire vehicle combo, you'll be just fine with no CDL.

I pull a 36' trailer with my F250 & have never had to hit the scales. At the updated weigh stations, you'll get the OK to pass flashed at you on the LED sign as you near the station
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 123

Some states you need an upgraded license in order to tow over 10K, regardless of commercial or not, so check out your requirement in your home state. Other places you need an upgraded license when you get over a certain combined truck and trailer weight. They may have a non-CDL Class A, for example. All states and provinces have reciprocity of driver's licences so if you are OK in your home state you are OK everywhere. Weigh stations can also vary by location, in some places everything over a certain registered gross weight has to come in regardless of what it is or what it's doing. I just follow the rules on the sign, and if it isn't specific I assume I can just pass by. I sometimes get called in by the sign flashing, so in I go.

Brian

Liked: 804

Certainly the general opinion is that a blank trailer attracts less DMV attention than a graphics one, but North Carolina can be pissy in general. Also be aware of length limitations. We got stopped going into California a decade ago with a full toter+stacker that was declared 6 feet too long. Made us wait 10 hours then charged us a fee and off we went.

Liked: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    All states and provinces have reciprocity of driver's licences so if you are OK in your home state you are OK everywhere.
    Brian
    This isn't quite universally true. For example, in Ontario - once you exceed a certain weight limit (something in the 14k kilos range) - you're considered commercial no matter what your licence says. No such rule at home in Sask, but we still got into trouble (no log books/etc).

Now, you'll not hit that limit with an F2/350 and a two car trailer, but it is something to keep in mind for the bigger setups.

Sorry for the tangent, I don't have anything more useful than do the homework for the states/provinces you will drive in most frequently. For Canada - I was astonished at how different the rules are.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

In New York...one of the tougher states (but I think its a Federal rule)...the magic number is 26,000 GVW. That's truck and trailer combined. Or, in other words, if you have a 1 ton dually and a three axle (6K rated) trailer...bingo; CDL. Now, I towed one of those for years without a CDL with never an issue, and I never stopped at a weigh station. But I know of others who have been stopped and harrassed by DOT troopers. Decals on the trailer probably contribute to the stop.

The rules have been tightened in recent years. When I went through a CDL school a few years ago, there were a bunch of contractors who all of a sudden needed to get licenses because they drove a dump truck with a backhoe on a lowboy. One fringe benefit of a CDL is you tend to be treated differently if stopped while driving a car
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

IF you can register your tow vehicle or the trailer as an RV, you can be exempted from a CDL. Best to go online and check with your home State DOT or stop in your local Driver's Licence Office and ask for specifics.

Do bring along safety triangles or flares, fire extinguisher & whatever else your State requires just in case you do get pulled over.

I've had a CDL for over 40 years and it has gotten me off the hook while driving a car & pickup.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

But remember that when you have a CDL, you are bound by the requirements of that license at all times. That means the points on your license before suspension are lowered and the BAC when driving is way reduced. Two drinks will easily put you over the limit.

Liked: 44

Chat

The info is here. http://www.dmvflorida.org/commercial-license.shtml

Thee is a link on this page for the CDI handbook which has detailed info.

A CDL is needed is a single vehicle weighs over 26,000 pounds.

A CD is needed if the GCWR (combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer) exceed 26,001 and the towed vehicle exceeded 10,000 pounds.

Liked: 218

romoman, that is incorrect. You have the same BAC requirement as anybody else when you are in a private passenger car. You do have the lowered limit when you are in a commercial vehicle. Asked and answered many times.

The BAC threshold while operating a non CMV is .08 and is .04 if operating a CMV. (CMV = Commercial Motor Vehicle)
    Competition One Racing
    racer6@mchsi.com

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SStadel View Post
    romoman, that is incorrect. You have the same BAC requirement as anybody else when you are in a private passenger car. You do have the lowered limit when you are in a commercial vehicle. Asked and answered many times.
    I was wrong on the BAC in your car, but they are lowered when in the required vehicle. In NH, it does affect "serious offenses" regardless of what you are driving. In NH, this could include your boat, jet ski, or 4 wheeler!

SERIOUS OFFENSES
    “Serious” traffic violations are excessive speeding (15 mph or more over the posted speed limit), reckless driving, improper or erratic lane changes and following too closely. These can be considered either in a commercial vehicle or a personal vehicle. The “serious” violations that can only occur in a commercial vehicle are texting while driving, violation of local law or ordinance involving hand held use of a mobile telephone, driving without the proper class of license and/or endorsements for the specific vehicle group being operating or for the passengers or type of cargo being transported, driving without a CDL and traffic offenses committed in a commercial motor vehicle in connection with a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Welsh View Post
    Chat

The info is here. http://www.dmvflorida.org/commercial-license.shtml

Thee is a link on this page for the CDI handbook which has detailed info.

A CDL is needed is a single vehicle weighs over 26,000 pounds.

A CD is needed if the GCWR (combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer) exceed 26,001 and the towed vehicle exceeded 10,000 pounds.
    yes, as I've found after research as well, the frustration is the "non CDL" rules above restrict the trailer to 10,000 pounds, (which oddly allows the dually to be as much as 16,000 pounds), an almost useless combination of allowables.
    In theory, all of us with decent size goosenecks behind dually's need to be CDL rated it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    yes, as I've found after research as well, the frustration is the "non CDL" rules above restrict the trailer to 10,000 pounds, (which oddly allows the dually to be as much as 16,000 pounds), an almost useless combination of allowables.
    In theory, all of us with decent size goosenecks behind dually's need to be CDL rated it seems.
    You misread the 10,000 lb. trailer limit.
    A CDL is needed if the GCWR (combined weight of tow vehicle and trailer) exceed 26,001 and the towed vehicle exceeded 10,000 pounds.
    The 10,000 lb limit only applies when the combined weight exceeds 26,001.

Thanks everyone for all of your replies!

I guess it would seem that the key is the combined weight limit of 26,001 lbs. The figures to be used in calculating this are not the actual weights but rather the GVWR established by the manufacturer. My F350 Dually's GVWR (assuming I'm reading it correctly) is 13,000 lbs. (!) So based on this the maximum GVWR of my trailer can't be more than 13,000 lbs.

Looking at the specs for some of the more popular gooseneck trailers in the 32 to 36 foot range (to give me at least a 24 foot floor space to load two cars nose to tail) their GVWR's are in the 15,000 lb range.....considering this how can anyone put together a gooseneck plus a sufficient tow vehicle and not exceed 26,001 lbs?

Perhaps I can get an SCCA discount at a CDL school?

Chet

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C in Az View Post
    You misread the 10,000 lb. trailer limit.
    The 10,000 lb limit only applies when the combined weight exceeds 26,001.
    never caught that possible interpretation before, but could be read that way, that would make my day !! thx

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Zerlin View Post
    Thanks everyone for all of your replies!

I guess it would seem that the key is the combined weight limit of 26,001 lbs.
    Most states (all?) have a non-commercial class A. It's very easy to get that compared to a CDL, with none of the other hassle that comes with a CDL. Technically if you receive a contingency you are towing commercially but just don't admit that to the po-po.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Zerlin View Post
    considering this how can anyone put together a gooseneck plus a sufficient tow vehicle and not exceed 26,001 lbs?

BTW, it's 26,000 that you don't want to exceed. Not that you are likely to find a GVWR that ends in a 1.

Easy picking for the Highway Patrols are spotting that 3 axle tag trailer getting towed behind a DRW truck.
    Last edited by Daryl DeArman; 12.03.14 at 10:50 PM.

For a little added security, load up your truck & trailer & head to a nearby truck stop with certified scales & you'll know exactly what you have. Keep the weight ticket in the truck. If you do get pulled over, you may avoid a ticket with a bit of evidence on board

Drive sensibly, make sure all your lights & break-away brakes are working & you'll probably never be bothered.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    never caught that possible interpretation before, but could be read that way, that would make my day !! thx
    That is not the way the State Trooper I met interpreted it. Any 3 axle trailer will be approaching $10K with the smallest of loads. The best way to get the favorable interpretation is to not get pulled over
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Take a look at your states' regulations again.

I just did a refresher glance on CA's website and tags are limited to 10K GVWR while 5th wheels are 15K.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/det...dl648/dl648pt2

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by racerdad2 View Post
    For a little added security, load up your truck & trailer & head to a nearby truck stop with certified scales & you'll know exactly what you have. Keep the weight ticket in the truck. If you do get pulled over, you may avoid a ticket with a bit of evidence on board
    Nope.

The Class A / CDL requirement is based on GVWR/GCWR, not actual loaded weight.

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Take a look at your states' regulations again.

I just did a refresher glance on CA's website and tags are limited to 10K GVWR while 5th wheels are 15K.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/det...dl648/dl648pt2
    Fifth wheel travel trailers meaning that they have a bed, a sink and a potty. A fifth wheel utility trailer is limited to 10k.

This is only CA. Almost all other states use the fed limits of 26001.

I feel fortunate. I've gotten a pass on tickets over 95% of the time with Male Law Enforcement. Never been lucky ( no pun intended, well, maybe ) with Female Law Enforcement. I must make the ladies nervous. One even cuffed me & put me in the back seat until back up arrived over a moving violation. ( again, no pun intended )

I do keep the three essentials in my triple axle to qualify as a travel trailer.

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 858

I didn't think much about the weight because I figure that towing formula cars, I'm not dangerously close. However, overall length matters and it varies quite a bit from state to state. While most states allow 65' total length, there are some notable exceptions (GA at 60' max). There are also max trailer lengths in many states. I was researching this while looking to buy a motorhome to use as a tow vehicle while keeping my 26' box (30' o/a) tag trailer. I'll have to find a 32' MH to only be 2' over in GA, which has 2 good tracks!
    http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/trailer-dimensions/

As far as fitting 2 cars, I've loaded my Swift DB6 FF (100" wheelbase) and my DB4 FA in this trailer but they were butt to butt with the FF exhaust collector removed and the front and rear DB4 wings removed. The floor is 24.5' in front of the cabinets. It was tight.
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

In Florida apparently there is an exception from the definition of commercial vehicle if it's not used for profit (pretty much an accurate definition of any racing I've ever done!) : So no CDL needed....

Motorsports Exception - " A vehicle that occasionally transports personal property to and from a closed-course motorsport facility, as defined in s. 549.09(1)(a), is not a commercial motor vehicle if the use is not for profit and corporate sponsorship is not involved. As used in this subsection, the term 'corporate sponsorship' means a payment, donation, gratuity, in-kind service, or other benefit provided to or derived by a person in relation to the underlying activity, other than the display of product or corporate names, logos, or other graphic information on the property being transported."

Any other states have similar exceptions?

Contributing Member

That sounds pretty standard. If you're not towing commercially you don't need a CDL. I don't see the whole context but I bet you still need a class A.

EDIT: ah. No FL is an oddball. They only have 1 class of license. I think most states now follow the federal A/B/C and M system.

The single (non-commercial) class is up to 26k. The motorsports exception then lets you go over that without having CDL. Never heard of that before. (CA has a motorsports exception but it is about overall length, not weight.)

The distinction in FL is that ANYTHING over 26k requires a CDL (ie, strictly weight based, whether used commercially or not). Whereas I believe most states, ie the ones that follow the A/B/C system, will issue a NON-commercial Class A.
    Last edited by mousecatcher; 12.05.14 at 2:26 AM.

Thread Information