Thread: Trailers

Liked: 0

Can anyone help me figure out how much trailer I can pull? I've got a 1-ton p/u (single rear wheels), 9900 gvwr. I'd like to get a gooseneck, but don't want to overload the truck. Currently, I'm pulling a 24' tag trailer totaling 7200 lbs. Thanks.

I have a 40ft. gooseneck and an 18 ft. tag. I use an F-450 Super Duty to pull both. Overkill on the tag, but perfect for the gooseneck. I wouldn't pull anything larger than what you have with single rear wheels. If you do blow a tire, you at least have three more to rely on with a dually, especially if you plan on pulling a gooseneck. My two cents worth.
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

I pull a 40' gooseneck with a '99 F-250SD turbo diesel CC 4X4 (that's a 3/4 ton single rear wheel). Ford rates the truck for 14400 lbs total trailer weight and 1440 lb tongue weight with a gooseneck/fifth wheel. Loaded, the trailer runs 12-13,000 lbs depending on what is inside. This is within the tires load range and Ford's. I've pulled this combo probably fifteen thousand miles over the past three years w/o problems. Having said that, I do have this nagging fear in the back of my head that says I would be better off with a dually or a lighter trailer just in case I blow a rear tire. The key is to make sure you stay within the load range for the truck AND THE TIRES ON THE TRUCK, keep the inflation pressures right and monitor the tires before and after every trip. Coincidentally, I do want to sell the trailer if you are interested.

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

It's best to consult the truck manufacturer's towing guide to determine how large a trailer you can tow. Don't necessarily go with what you see on the road. There are a lot of overloaded (read: unsafe) truck/trailer combinations out there.

Two basic things you are looking for is the truck's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) and the combined truck/trailer Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

Generally, Gooseneck trailers have 15-20% of the total trailer weight on the pin. For anything but the smallest Goosenecks, this will require at least a 1-ton Dually or else the truck GVWR is exceeded even though the GCWR may not be exceeded.

Start by loading up your truck with fuel, supplies, people, etc and weigh the truck. Then you can determine how much pin weight you can handle before the GVWR of the truck is exceeded.

Dennis

Liked: 3787

Sometimes in the cool of the morning, sitting out on the veranda sipping coffee, watching the hummingbirds, I marvel at the fact that we need 7 tons of infrastructure to get a 950 pound racecar to and from the track.

Thanks for the comments...with the trailer fully loaded, I'm hauling 14K (well within the tow limits set by Ford). I'm thinking I could manage a gooseneck as long as 34' and be okay. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Thread Information