Thread: Occupations

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Just wondered if once the member list is again posted, if anyone would be interested in having their occupations displayed as well if that capability even exists. Through experience, I have found that I most enjoy doing business with those individuals that share a common interest. If the camraderie expressed in the forums is any example, I would be happy to send my business to other members if the opportunity should present itself. I know for example one individual (I won't mention names unless given permission to do so) that owns a tire store (lucky dog). I expect there are others out there that might be able to offer the members genuine advice or service and that might benefit from our own patronage. I know that within a year or so, I will be buying my first FC and I have little doubt that it will be from another member or at the very least from someone referred by another member. Just thought it might be nice to expand a bit on the concept. If there is fault in my thinking let me know, I'm not easily insulted.

Regards,
    DC

Liked: 3

Just in case this doesn't pass...

I work for Pegasus Auto Racing in New Berlin, WI 800-688-6946 (262-317-1200 for tech help).
    Much as I HATE to mention that!

Liked: 1417

Well, currently I am a print & web designer (see, uh, this site [img]smile.gif[/img]) but lately, the market has caused such a problem with marketing budgets, I am looking for a career change.

If you guys have any suggestions, I'm open to ideas. [img]redface.gif[/img]

Contributing Member

Doug, I'm a stock broker (OK, the firm likes to call us Investment Consultants). Given the current market climate, I may be the wrong one to offer suggestions. Just admitting my occupation openly here may be unwise at best. I'm here looking for a F1 ride. If I get the ride, I'll insist they hire you as backup. I'm afraid thats the best I can do at present.

Well, if you get "the call" I'll be right behind you. I actually wouldn't mind sweeping floors for an F1 team. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm keeping my F1/ChampCar physique, too, just in case any team ever has a problem fitting normal sized humans into their cars.

I am a video editor I work for a national syndicated TV show on NBC. It's the next best thing to not having to work at all.

Michael Hall
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Ok Michael, are you gonna tell us which show?

The show is Access Hollywood. When I said it was the best job around I should have said the best occupation. If I were cutting at Speedvision however that would be bliss.

MH
    Michael Hall
    Got a job
    Race a bike
    Cal Club

Liked: 68

El Guapo is currently employed (you will notice that there is a subtle difference between being employed and working) as a corporate trainer for a large chain of automobile dealerships. Doug, I have a suggestion for you. In recent years there has been a shortage of criminal master-minds. This lucrative occupation offers a great deal of autonomy, a virtually unlimited income, and, of course, the stimulation of mentally challenging work. Or, you could be a web designer.

EG

Howdy Gang,

What with being on the road with Pro races and club races since early July haven't had much time to respond to anything. I work in the U.S F2000 series as Director of Public Relations, a fancy way of saying I write stuff and take pictures. I think this a great idea. As a racer I'm always looking to deal with a fellow racer when I can.

Michael since you work as a video editor you might be able to help me. Send me an email at alcraighead@usff2000.com so I can ask you a few questions.

Cheers,

Al.
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Liked: 449

I'm a Network Administrator for the Orland Park division of Panduit Corporation. We mainly have a Windows NT environment with a smaller Novell network for our shipping department. Oh yeah, by the way Ennis Bragg has a page up for this sort of thing for people to list their companies to the "Racer Yellow Pages". It's listed under the links page of this site under "personal sites" if anyone also wants to post what they do there.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Hey Keith,
    What does Panduit do or sell? The guy who lives across the street from me works for them or sells for them or something. I'm always finding invoices and other paperwork from Panduit Corporation in my yard on trash day. I never see the guy outside or I'd ask him myself (and tell him to keep a lid on his recycler bin). He works out of his house and until I saw your post I assumed Panduit was a small company he ran from there.

I own and operate a machine shop. Has some nice advantages considering the hobby. Its such a great job I turned down an F1 ride ...........hahahahahha.... anyway I have the capacity to machine a lot of different parts that we use up with these mini money suckers. Oh did I mention I sell starters

Liked: 79

Panduit makes the greatest wire ties I have ever used! I import them and sometimes get a few extra for myself (keep that on the hush hush keith).

Anyway, I have a trucking company in Chicago. We import and export products to most of the world. We also move steel and food domestically.

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Jtovo ]

Contributing Member

By day I pretend to manage a group of engineers and supervisors for an aerospace manufacturing firm. Fortunately this doesn't require much thinking or effort, or else I'd be back shoveling fish guts for a living...

BTW, did Tab mention that he sells starters?
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

parts manager for a Dodge Dealership.
    there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

I'm a lighting designer for theatre (Broadway, Off-Broadway, Regional Theatre), Ballet, Museums and Large Industrial Shows. The Industrials allow me to do all of the other things and race too! I have the job security that, every 12 hours (on average), it gets very dark!!
    Scott Pinkney<br />NER #53

Liked: 19

I started an "Engineering/Consultancy Service" about 10 years ago with 2 of my brothers...... Most of our business is contract personell that have auto/aero/product background... Designers, Engineers etc etc... The rest of our business is "outsourced" CAD/CAE/CAM work - We've worked on everything from spoon rests to packaging of a satalite in a rocket......

WOW thats the first time I've been able to describe what the company does in less than 200 words.... As for what exactly I do...??? I have a desk, phone and a T1 line to the net - beyond that - its kind of a mystery to me.....My card says "Applications Engineer" - whatever that means....

Matthew McDonough
    Applications Engineer
    TASC Technical Services
    TASC Web Site

Liked: 126

I work as an Operations Research consultant to the U.S. Navy, but I really want to build automobiles.

Tom - I kind of like shoveling fish guts. . .
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Liked: 3855

I'm a middle manager in state government. (I am not the pharmaceutical importer that Tab has told everybody about.) For the last 30 years I have been in Information Technology (although we didn't call it that 30 years ago...). I supervise a staff of UNIX systems engineers (big Sun platforms), Oracle DBAs, and even a bunch of mainframers. We try to keep a portal called MyFlorida.com up and running.

Went to my first road race at the Sebring 12 Hour in 1962 (yes, before most of you were born.) Fell in love with road racing and naked women on that trip and have tried to stay around both ever since.

In the mid 70's I campaigned a very competitive solo car (one-off Super Vee sort-of). Got bored with airports and parking lots and took up running marathons (it was cheaper).

From '88 - '96 I freelanced as overcrew on IMSA/PSC teams, mostly for endurance races. Little teams like Full Time Racing (John Fergus, Don Knowles, Neil Hannamann), Brix Racing (Jeremy Dale, Price Cobb, Johnny O'Connell, Dorsey, Fredrick Ekblom, et al), Roush Racing (Tommy Kendall, Mark Martin), and Screaming Eagles (Craig T Nelson). Learned a lot from Jack Roush, "Beaky" Sims, and Emory Donaldson.

When I got to about 50, it was now or never, to get a chance to be in Defer's way, so I went out and bought all the real racecar I could afford from Rock Irving.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: Purple Frog ]

Contributing Member ennis bragg's Avatar

Here's a link to the site that Keith mentioned above.
    http://www.witnessracing.com/rbd.shtml

I'm an electrical engineer. I've done a lot of industrial controls and automation but right now I'm doing embedded systems programming, mostly C and 8051 assembly.

BTW, David and Doug, I am also planning to start a formula 1 team and I need drivers. Please send me a copy of your resume, a check for 50 million dollars and also the deed to your soul. Then, we'll talk....

Liked: 6

I'm in the machine tool business. The company name is Boldt Machinery. We sell and service metal cutting machinery in Western PA and upstate NY. If Tab would move his lucrative race parts manufacture business a little bit east I could pretend to try and sell him stuff while we were really drinking beer and bench racing.
    Anything is possible, until it is proven impossible.

Liked: 3

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ennis bragg:
    I am also planning to start a formula 1 team and I need drivers. Please send me a copy of your resume, a check for 50 million dollars and also the deed to your soul. Then, we'll talk....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A check?? I thought you needed MONEY!! Tell you what, I'll just buy both seats on the team right now...

Liked: 449

Daniel,
    Panduit started out as a mfg company that made wire harnesses and ductwork. That's how they got their name, Panel and Conduit = Panduit (or "el Cond", what's that mean el Guapo?). Then they progressivley got their hands into a lot of different types of connectors, fasteners and a bunch of other stuff. Their bread and butter product was the cable tie (Pan-Tie) but has since moved onto bigger and better things like fiber optic connectors and network plugs, jacks, and racks for large companies. We've got manufacturing facilites mainly in the northern Illinois area along with another in Georgia, but we may have sales offices in the SC area along with the rest of the globe. Oh well.... enough of my infomercial before I'm the next one to get laid off...
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 1

I run the Email systems at a large, stuffy corporation. On the side, I like to pry into people's email, figure out what all of your IP addresses are and steal all of your setup data to use for my advantage...

Unfortunately, I'm not a very good hacker...

Liked: 68

Ferris, are you related to the guy that invented that wheel?

EG

I'm a Captain with a major airline. I just can't get enough of going fast....

Liked: 1

I wish I did invent that damn thing. Maybe it could pay for my racing!

Thread Information