Liked: 0

Default Advice for an arrive-and-drive driver

Hi everyone - I'm new to posting here but have been browsing through the forums for quite a few months now.

My situation is this: because of my job, I essentially get free travel all around the USA (east coast/central locations are easiest). Every weekend (Fri-Sun), I can go almost anywhere I'd like. I'll probably be in this position for another year. Because I get free travel and because I don't have a house/permanent location to store my own car/tools/equipment/etc., it is the perfect set-up for an "arrive-and-drive" situation.

I want to take advantage of the next year and do as much racing / high-performance driving as I can. I'm already signed up for the Bertil Roos formula car race series next year but want to do more, particularly during the winter months.

My experience level is intermediate: I karted as a kid (2 seasons), did the Bertil Roos formula-car 5 day race school, have done three races in the Bertil Roos race series, and autocross/HPDEs in my street car (Honda S2000, now in storage).

I've found some good arrive-and-drive experiences and wanted to know if anyone here could recommend any similar opportunities. For instance, a few weekends ago, I emailed someone who ran a local karting club and ended up renting one of his karts for a race weekend at Roebling Road; flew in for the weekend and flew out. I’m looking for more deals like that. Or, similarly, I did the 10 hour endurance karting race at AMP which was fun (but the typical kart rental fare is just not exciting enough for me so looking to avoid that).

I am most interested in the following experiences:
    - Shifter kart racing
    - Racing any type of kart on full-size car road courses (like I did at Roebling - AWESOME) or on a street course (i.e. Inverness, FL race)
    - HPDEs in sports car
    - Budget endurance racing (i.e. chump car, LeMons, etc.)

My budget: Would like to keep it $500 all-in or less for a karting weekend, $800 all-in or less for a HPDE event, not sure on the endurance stuff.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Not sure what is available in that budget range. I will be interested to see the responses.
    Steve Bamford

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
    Not sure what is available in that budget range. I will be interested to see the responses.
    Let's just treat the budget as a guideline for the purposes of this thread...I may be willing to pay more. Really just trying to get an idea of what's out there, even if that's out of the budget I listed.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Apex Speed is geared towards Open Wheel Formula Cars. I'd check out the F600 guys & SRF rentals. Just an FYI... I did an arrive & drive weekend in a Spec Miata. $2,000.00. Fantastic weekend. The weekend was so easy. Very relaxing, almost boring. I kept wanting to help work on the cars.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 1115

I've not seen less than $600/day for most formula cars, and it goes much higher.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 24

There are allot of costs that go into racing that your starting budget does not include. Here are some costs to consider that are normal for a formula-car arrive and drive.

1. Crash damage deposits (at least $2500.00 up front before you get into the car)
    2. Cost of tires (starting at $100.00 per tire)
    3. Entry fees ($250.00 minimum)
    4. Transporting the car to and from the track.
    5. Racing fuel costs
    6. Mechanic cost ($250.00 per day minimum)
    7. Car preparation cost.
    8. Cost of wear and tear on the motor, transmission and chassis.
    8. Hotel costs.

In all reality it is more cost effective to purchase a car and have it prepped, transported and maintained by a reputable race shop.

Unless you have at least $5000.00 per weekend to spend on racing someone else's formula car, you should direct your inquiries to the karting or lemon community.

Liked: 113

Default Arrive and Drive

with entry fee and hotel for a two or three day weekend you should be budgeting at least $1700 to $2000 for even an entry level formula car like a FV or F500.

That does not include a damage deposit which, although not an expense, is cash on hand you should have. This is assuming that you have the needed safety equipment.

Karting can be less expensive depending on class. Some tracks have league racing series or you could find some one to run a kart for you for the season.

You may just want to consider some of the arrive an drive formula racing series. Although they are expensive you could cover many different tracks if you are geographically mobile.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

And..... Have a big cash reserve in your piggy bank just in case you wad up the car.

Formula Vee may be another option ?

There are many arrive & drive karting programs, as well. Check out WKA's races at Daytona between Xmas & New Years. Lots of competition. Many supported kart teams.

Liked: 107

to get more specific, on the other answers i agree with... there are a number of people that run race prep shops, many of them have cars for (or will) rent.

neil porter in SF area, Roland Johnson here in San diego, Jens in phoenix area. i believe VIR will rent ariel atoms out of the factory there. i only know these because they are local and i have talked to or worked with them before. I'm sure there are similar folk in the road atlanta, road america, watkins glen areas as well. - the tracks here in SoCal aren't anything to write home about... buttonwillow is nice IMO. vara university is there in Jan. and there is usually the guy (forget name) who rents toyota celica "celebrity race" cars for pretty cheap (maybe 800 for the weekend or something)
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4362

I expect that you need to find someone with a day job who is looking to share his racing car with someone to help cover expenses. Nobody could provide you with formula car use for that cost as a proper business venture. I would be wary of any deal that tried to. Sharing a car has risks, but it also has benefits, and can be a great way to be involved.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

For reference, you are in Spec Miata single day car rental territory at that price range. Excluding entry fees, food, lodging, etc (tires and gas included, but crash damage not!)

Liked: 68

If you're going to be in Oregon, check out Pat's Acres. It's a great kart track about 20 minutes South of Portland. I don't know if they're still doing it, but they used to have a fleet of rental RotaxMax karts that might fit what you're looking for.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 107

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Mauney View Post
    If you're going to be in Oregon, check out Pat's Acres. It's a great kart track about 20 minutes South of Portland. I don't know if they're still doing it, but they used to have a fleet of rental RotaxMax karts that might fit what you're looking for.
    hey i have been there! it is very awesome was a couple years back - but great track and yes they had a variety of rentals.
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Liked: 113

You definitely can do an arrive and drive with the VSCDA Vintage FV series on a budget of $2000 per three day weekend inclusive of entry fees, hotel, and race car rental. I have run several drivers over the last several seasons in high quality cars in that price range. These are typically novices or people who are thinking of buying a car but want a season of hand holding. This is not a commercial business but it is an arrangement available for individuals seriously considering joining the VSCDA series as full time entrants.

This budget does not include travel costs to and from the event.

Yes, a commercial enterprise will be probably $600 to $1000 more per weekend. I select my drivers carefully and have never had any issues.

You often can also find drivers who will share a car on a Waterford Hills weekend. Prices there can be very reasonable - but track time is limited.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Sharing a car on a track day is another way to get into a Formula Car

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
    the tracks here in SoCal aren't anything to write home about... buttonwillow is nice IMO. vara university is there in Jan. and there is usually the guy (forget name) who rents toyota celica "celebrity race" cars for pretty cheap (maybe 800 for the weekend or something)
    That guy would be Danny McKeever.

Our tracks may not be pretty, but I never paid much attention to things off the racing surface when racing anyway.

As to the Celicas....they are what they are. Street tired, very modestly modified Toyota Celicas from the last time the Celica was used for the Toyota Gran Prix Pro/Celebrity races. McKeever runs the school that the celebrities complete before racing in that event.

The street tire and the brake pads used are the limiting factors. If you are racing against other McKeever school cars it's a non-issue. If you are doing a lapping day or school, again a non-issue. If you are competing in a race against other race cars it will be a substantial handicap.

Their lap times are very similar to a FV.

I have never "rented" a car from him per se. Years ago VARA would make one available for each of their class champions to race against each other at the end of the year, in what they dubbed the VROC (instead of IROC, "V" for Vintage). I was able to get a fair amount of seat time in one and had fun, but a thrill in the pants ride they are not.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default rental car costs

FYI for you cost study

I rent track day cars at VIR and Summit Point for people in events like Chin, TrackDaze, and Audi.

Two days arrive and drive;
    Toyota Turbo Supra MKIII (ITE) is $1,000
    BMW M3 $1,200
    Spec Racer Ford $1,200
    ESR P2 well we would have to talks about that

You pay for all damage caused, If you would like to see a sample rental contract let me know;

Frank Clark
    Dog Licked Racing

Liked: 502

SRF is a great value for that price. Although there are those here that despise them, I have driven them in SCCA, and they are fun, durable, as well as easy and cheap to repair. Also, they are a lot more of a "real " racecar, than modified sedans, IMO.

I would much rather race or do a lapping day in a SRF than a Celica, YMMV

Thanks to everyone for the replies. It sounds like SRF and Miata may be a good bet.

I'm already doing an arrive-and-drive formula car season next year with Bertil Roos (they call it "F2000" - but it's not really F2000). That was very reasonable since I got the "early-early" bird special and received one race free since I won their rookie run-offs earlier this year (six-race weekends for a total of $11,800, with an option to do two more race weekends at $2,400/each).

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Licked Racing View Post
    FYI for you cost study

I rent track day cars at VIR and Summit Point for people in events like Chin, TrackDaze, and Audi.

Two days arrive and drive;
    Toyota Turbo Supra MKIII (ITE) is $1,000
    BMW M3 $1,200
    Spec Racer Ford $1,200
    ESR P2 well we would have to talks about that

You pay for all damage caused, If you would like to see a sample rental contract let me know;

Frank Clark
    Dog Licked Racing

This is the exact type of thing I am looking for. Just to do an HPDE like Chin, MVP Tracktime, or HookedonDriving in a rented car. Not racing, just track time.
    Frank - I'll send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    You definitely can do an arrive and drive with the VSCDA Vintage FV series on a budget of $2000 per three day weekend inclusive of entry fees, hotel, and race car rental. I have run several drivers over the last several seasons in high quality cars in that price range. These are typically novices or people who are thinking of buying a car but want a season of hand holding. This is not a commercial business but it is an arrangement available for individuals seriously considering joining the VSCDA series as full time entrants.

This budget does not include travel costs to and from the event.

Yes, a commercial enterprise will be probably $600 to $1000 more per weekend. I select my drivers carefully and have never had any issues.

You often can also find drivers who will share a car on a Waterford Hills weekend. Prices there can be very reasonable - but track time is limited.
    This could be something that may be work for me. I have a friend who tried to get me into vintage racing but I just don't have the capability to maintain my own car. I'll PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    For reference, you are in Spec Miata single day car rental territory at that price range. Excluding entry fees, food, lodging, etc (tires and gas included, but crash damage not!)
    Any recommendations for place to rent spec Miatas in the Southeast US?

In addition, I think Chump Car racing is a lot of fun. I'm going to post in one of those forums to see what the feasibility of co-owning a car with a team of co-drivers.

I talked with some "chumps" this season. Their ride cost them $15k for an arrive & drive season split between the three of them.

Liked: 68

Quote Originally Posted by lappj View Post
    Any recommendations for place to rent spec Miatas in the Southeast US?
    Try RP Performance.

http://rpperformanceracing.com

Bret DiPedro is the guy you want to talk to. They are based at Summit Point.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 1115

Default Arizona Options

Chris Tomlinson's a good guy renting Spec7 racers in Phoenix. Last I saw it was only $300/day:

http://therx7guy.com/home

We've used him several times to get new drivers through school and up to speed before they stepped into a formula car. Jens' EFF rentals aren't really meant as a complete solution but more as a way to seduce you into buying a car somewhere (he can then handle arrive and drive in it for you if you wish).

There are also one each Miata and Mazda2 street cars for rent:

http://proautosports.com/forms/pdf/a...ate%20Inde.pdf
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 605

Go to the members listing and look up my buddy Alan Oppel and or his shop website - Pit Lane Services. He may care to rent out his Formula Ford for a little less than what some shops might charge as his car would probably be an older Van Diemen. He's a Pro mechanic of many years experience so the car would be cherry and it's always competitive in FF. He could meet you at many of the SouthEastern tracks. I have no idea what his rates are.

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by lappj View Post
    My budget: Would like to keep it $500 all-in or less for a karting weekend, $800 all-in or less for a HPDE event, not sure on the endurance stuff.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
    You can do an arrive n drive in Phoenix for about $750/day in a Spec Miata
    or $650/ day in a Formula Ford or do an street car class rental for $225/ day

http://proautosports.com/forms/pdf/anddapr.pdf

http://www.eformulaford.com/content/...a-ford-rentals

I've rented from both, the first one for the new racer's class, then the second to try a Formula Ford before buying an FF.

They are running a Thanksgiving race weekend special.

Liked: 102

Quote Originally Posted by JByers View Post
    There are allot of costs that go into racing that your starting budget does not include. Here are some costs to consider that are normal for a formula-car arrive and drive.

1. Crash damage deposits (at least $2500.00 up front before you get into the car)
    2. Cost of tires (starting at $100.00 per tire)
    3. Entry fees ($250.00 minimum)
    4. Transporting the car to and from the track.
    5. Racing fuel costs
    6. Mechanic cost ($250.00 per day minimum)
    7. Car preparation cost.
    8. Cost of wear and tear on the motor, transmission and chassis.
    8. Hotel costs.

In all reality it is more cost effective to purchase a car and have it prepped, transported and maintained by a reputable race shop.

Unless you have at least $5000.00 per weekend to spend on racing someone else's formula car, you should direct your inquiries to the karting or lemon community.
    There are several Arrive N Drive Formula Ford rentals out there for under $2000 per weekend.

Liked: 9

Multiply by 10 and we can talk about the Wolf GB08 for a weekend.

Www.edgeaddicts.com
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Thread Information