Thread: Mattiacci fired

Liked: 123

Default Mattiacci fired

Well, that didn't take long. Mattiacci fired by Fiat chairman Sergio Marchionne. Apparently losing Alsonso has consequences. He was actually fired, too, apparently not reassigned within the company.

Brian

Liked: 0

Guys, he wasn't fired. Look for him to be somewhere higher in the organization.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 86

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyf14d View Post
    Guys, he wasn't fired. Look for him to be somewhere higher in the organization.
    I don't think so. The statement from Ferrari thanked him for his 15 years of service and wished him well in his "future endeavors." That's pretty much corporate spin for "don't let the door hit you in the ass."
    Matt King
    FV19 Citation XTC-41
    CenDiv-Milwaukee
    KEEP THE KINK!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Alsonso

Do you really think that Alonso's moving on precipitated that firing? Don't you think that Alonso was just tired of running mid-pack and thought (maybe he knew), that there is no hope for Ferrari in his [very] few years remaining at peak level?
    Last edited by Albatross; 11.24.14 at 6:26 PM. Reason: spelling

I think he was brought in to be the high level manager, not the designer or the engineer. As the manager, his first job has to be to put the right pieces in place. Alonso hated him, and I think that was the first thing that really made up his mind to actually leave, to finally take the decision that he was pondering for some time. He liked Di Montezemelo, respected him as a racer, and whatever else Mattacci was, he was in no way a racer. Do you think that Alonzo had any respect for him? I don't. Do you think that Mattacci thought Alonzo was an over-paid prima dona? I do. Hence Alonso exit stage right, and lord only knows how much they had to pay to get Vettel, who has proven that he isn't the driver that many thought he was. If I had to say why else he has left, it's probably signing Vettel...

Brian

Liked: 8

Default He Had to Go.....

So his salary can make up some of the increased costs of Vettel! Seriously, Ferrari have a turd right now, and nobody would be able to make it go faster....Vettel may end up going from the frying pan into the fire with this one.... There is going to be a LOT of midnight oil being burnt this winter....not that they have not been full out trying to fix what they had...

It is a desperate time in a team when nothing is working right....Ferrari have a slow engine/ERS package, mediocre handling. Not sure about the aero as they have had to run low downforce the whole season to keep from getting run over on the straights....

I am really pleased to see Williams have a good season; it has been a long time coming but hard work is (sometimes) rewarded! The best part about the Williams (of course) has been the engine/ERS package.....

I enjoyed the season; lots of passing, lots of inter-ream drama at Mercedes, and a classy end of the season due to Rosberg; he handled the defeat properly and politely. A classy guy. I can only IMAGINE what would have happened if Hamilton's car had been the one with all the problems...the conspiracy theorists would have been screaming blue murder!

Now, the long boring wait for next season. At least ski racing is starting
    Tom Owen
    Owner - Browns Lane and Racelaminates.com

Liked: 49

Ferrari is in trouble next year with 2 drivers that were trounced by their respective team mates this year and who each cost a bundle. Kimi complained all year that the car was no good, but Alonso just got on with it. Vettel probably had a motivational let down, but that doesn't excuse his performance against a guy with much less experience and new to the team. Mattiacci seemed way out of place and just another un-needed distraction.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4360

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I think he was brought in to be the high level manager, not the designer or the engineer. As the manager, his first job has to be to put the right pieces in place. Alonso hated him, and I think that was the first thing that really made up his mind to actually leave, to finally take the decision that he was pondering for some time. He liked Di Montezemelo, respected him as a racer, and whatever else Mattacci was, he was in no way a racer. Do you think that Alonzo had any respect for him? I don't. Do you think that Mattacci thought Alonzo was an over-paid prima dona? I do. Hence Alonso exit stage right, and lord only knows how much they had to pay to get Vettel, who has proven that he isn't the driver that many thought he was. If I had to say why else he has left, it's probably signing Vettel...

Brian
    Do you have personal private conversations with these guys? Or are you just reading their minds from an ocean away?
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 319

Quote Originally Posted by Matt King View Post
    I don't think so. The statement from Ferrari thanked him for his 15 years of service and wished him well in his "future endeavors." That's pretty much corporate spin for "don't let the door hit you in the ass."
    Usually a good clue that you're not wanted: Waking up with a horse head in your bed.

Probably a black horse.

Wonder if he had yellow sheets?

All joking aside, Ferrari seems to be totally lost. Things were worse this year than any year since 1973. And to have the power unit suck? Enzo must be spinning in his grave.

I was not an Alonso fan, but he carried the team on his back for the last two or three years and is certainly as good as Vettle or Kimi (who are both terrific.) Very sad that they could not provide a car that was capable of showcasing his talent.
    Lola: When four springs just aren't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Do you have personal private conversations with these guys? Or are you just reading their minds from an ocean away?

Nah, just paraphrasing the pundits in the press, and reading into their analysis and reports... Ferrari is about racing, at the beginning and end of the day, and he was a salesman. Was never going to work...

Sorry I offend you.

Brian

Liked: 30

Default Alonso

Yes Alonso had a lot to do with it>

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...med-in-top-job

Liked: 757

It seems odd but F1 teams can underestimate the value of having racers involved in racing teams. That might seem like a crazy thing to stay, but I experienced it first hand. At Williams in the late 90's and early 2000's we had a great bunch of people. Then, over the course of a couple of years some key personal changes were made, and positions were filled by non racers from other industries. I knew my days were numbered when i realized the new general manager didn't know one end of a race car from another. I left in late 2003, and only now are they showing promise again and I for one am pleased to see Claire Williams taking a prominent role. Oddly enough some of the good guys who left at the same time as me are now back there. I just hope they can build on this year. I still have a soft spot for the team, and always will.

13. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    It seems odd but F1 teams can underestimate the value of having racers involved in racing teams. That might seem like a crazy thing to stay, but I experienced it first hand. At Williams in the late 90's and early 2000's we had a great bunch of people. Then, over the course of a couple of years some key personal changes were made, and positions were filled by non racers from other industries. I knew my days were numbered when i realized the new general manager didn't know one end of a race car from another. I left in late 2003, and only now are they showing promise again and I for one am pleased to see Claire Williams taking a prominent role. Oddly enough some of the good guys who left at the same time as me are now back there. I just hope they can build on this year. I still have a soft spot for the team, and always will.
    The modern TV coverage has it's ups and downs, but I like seeing the personal shots in the garages. Usually they are the wives and girlfriends, but when you see the Williams pit and see Claire Williams, you always see a neat vignette of a racer. The expression on her face tells volumes...

Brian

15. The following members LIKED this post:

I haven't been following this in the least, but I understand that Ferrari is being spun public. I'll take bets now that it is out of F1, or dramatically changed in it's aspect, within three years of going public. For me, the biggest failing in F1 has been the OEM's being owners. They aren't in it for the long haul, they have to justify to shareholders far too often. Spend far too much, get caught, divest, start again.

Brian

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Smith View Post
    Ferrari is in trouble next year with 2 drivers that were trounced by their respective team mates this year and who each cost a bundle....
    Ferrari is paying Vettel 80 MILLION pounds in 2015
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 232

Default So sad ..................

It is obvious that the status of " .... the greatest F1 racing teams of all time ...." is sliding downward; at first slowly and now almost headlong into oblivion such that it will need more than a super set of Brembos' to stop the decline. Invariably, it it never a simple item or two but a erosion of many facets within an organization that causes the result. In no particular order .....

Racers run racing teams ......

Before Michael S and then his "team" thereafter came to Ferrari in 1996, the last World Champion was Jody S and in 1979 -- The car of 1978, 1979 was a development of the '75 - '77 car and organizational and driver talents that had Luca M and Niki Lauda at the helm. And yes, the championship of 1979 was in reliability. After this period, Ferrari wasted the talents of another great driver, Gilles ...

Luca M (not may people know he was a early years Fiat and then Lancia rally racer) returned and brought in Todt who brought in Brawn, Byrne and Schumacher - that team and its result are well known ......

Then the team loses Brawn, and other players leave and well the slide begins .... Kimi is the champ in "left over" technology, one by one "racers" leave and the slide begins ...

Alonso is hired and one just needs to watch him drive and understand he is an exceptional talent - he has carried the car/team for years - moody, yes it appears so - demanding, for sure - want's the leader role, absolutely, but a HUGE talent - team decisions (i.e. not Ross Brawn being there ...) cost him the championship to Vettel - He has finished 2nd three (3) times in the World Championship ....... sorry, the wasted talents of another driver. If I was a team principal, engine mfg'er, I would want Alonso - I guess Honda agrees and is pushing Ron D this way, despite $100M reason not too....

Luca did not always make the best decisions BUT I truly believe he made racer decisions...
    Remember the bean counters/Board of Directors almost "killed" the Brawn Mercedes team ... if any one does not think the team's current form and dual championship status was NOT a direct result of Ross Brawn ............

Horner, historical and continued development of naturally aspirated Renault race engines, the brilliance of Adrian N with the excellent driving of Vettel led to their four championships - the return of racers to Williams (and yes with Mercedes power) has led to the return of Williams to the front - Vettel to Ferrari will NOT carry the day without significant other changes - this may all come to tears.

The current beans counters if not stopped will not just erode but may destroy Ferrari F1 - a publicly traded Ferrari SpA filled with non-racer MBA management with costs analysis, market share stockholder value, etc. being most important concerns is cause for alarm. A "sponsor" type who bought for his employer the commercial branding for the entire car for resale as experience from now on running the racing team and the global president seeking public funds and Ferrari an American/Wall Street Company does not bode well.

I hope for the best ...........
    Last edited by Swift17; 11.25.14 at 10:49 PM.

The only real hope for Ferrari is for Piero Ferrari to step up and pretend he's his father After all, he does still own 10% of the company.

Or, maybe Enzo's grand son.... ENZO !!

Liked: 33

How long until Sergio and his MBAs introduce a Ferrari SUV?

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Been there and done that. Thanks for expressing this so calmly. I am not able to do that.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

22. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 2

It seems the head of Fiat fired Matiacci because he did not understand the number one rule in F1, firmly attach lips to Bernie's axx!

Liked: 80

Default gilles

swift 17 i hope you meant wasted the talent of Gilles not on Gilles....

Default Gilles ..........

My hero, ... late for my wedding rehearsal party 'cuz need to seem him qualify at WG in '79
    Got up at 4:00 am the day after my wedding to see him win the race -- Ferrari wasted HIS talents

Liked: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Swift17 View Post
    My hero, ... late for my wedding rehearsal party 'cuz need to seem him qualify at WG in '79
    ...........That Day in the Rain.
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

Gilles was beautiful

but Claire is hottt

anyway is hasn't been racing for quite some time, just TV entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by provamo View Post
    .....but Claire is hot....
    Who's Claire?

Quote Originally Posted by WRD View Post
    ...........That Day in the Rain.
    EXACTLY !!!! ..... there is no other "That Day in the Rain" -- In wet practice for the 1979 US GP at Watkins Glen, Villeneuve was fastest by 8.5 seconds - and at one point was 11 seconds quicker than any other car on the circuit at the same time, including Scheckter;

4X World Champion - Alain Prost, ...
    "Gilles was the last great driver, the rest of us are just a bunch of good professionals."

3X Triple world champion - Niki Lauda
    "Gilles was a perfect racing driver... the best - and the fastest - in the world".

Jacques Laffite -

"Why do we bother? He's different from the rest of us,"
    &
    "No human being can do miracles, you know, but Gilles made you wonder,"

31. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information