Liked: 0

Default 96 vd rf 96 - sold

Race Car, trailer and everything below $11,000. Without trailer $9000.
    (I will update as I think of new items to include)

Van Diemen RF-96-F2 Formula Continental with 20 ft enclosed trailer and spares. Ready to race right now.
    I bought this car in 2006 for SOLO events and local track days. I ended up putting less than six hours in it when health and business issues intervened, and I have never gotten back to it, so it is time to let it go to someone who can enjoy it as much as I did for a brief time.

I have the original logbook from 1996 to 2005 including the SCCA homologation certificate. The last tech inspection was 2007. Everything is current except for the Crow harness. The fire suppression bottle (Safety Systems Inc.) probably needs to be checked out.

Engine: The previous owner told me the engine was built by Ivey, then the block was damaged and replaced with another block. I don't know the origin. All I got regarding the engine were some hand written correspondence with Ivey, but I can't verify its origins or hours. I am trying to check on the serial numbers but I don't know if I will get anything back. It was very tight the last time I checked compression, and has less than 1 hour on it since then. You are welcome to check it out for yourself. Because of the track where I drove it I rarely got above 6000 rpm, and I had a hard rev limiter at 6800 rpm that I never ran into. The notes I got with it, which reference Susan Ivey 5/25/2002, say peak power i 6700-6800 rpm, redline is 7000-7100 rpm. The instructions from Ivey Engines, Inc. say optimum operating range is 5000-6750 rpm. They also include instructions for start up which I always followed. Always run on Mobil 1 15w-50.

Ignition: When I got the engine it was running an MSD6 with a points set up, which worked great but I took out that set up and replaced it with a pertronix ignitor unit, mainly because it draws less current from the battery. I still have the original set up if you want it, including new Bosch points, ballast and rotors. I also have a new distributor cab. I currently have a rev limiting rotor installed. I have an Odyssey gel battery.

Transmission: The Hewland LD200 currently installed with gears and fresh synthetic gear oil (P.O. told me it had recent refresh from Taylor Race Engineering, but I can't find any documentation of this. I only know it shifts perfectly). It also comes with 12 pairs of extra transmission gears (plus those in gearbox now) with special carrying case/service tray.
    Tilton Clutch and pedal installed plus Tilton 5.5 inch clutch disc pack (new in box), plus Tilton 7.5 inch clutch disc pack (used)
    I also have gearing worksheets and set up information for almost every racetrack.

Suspension: Penske 2-Way adjustable racing shocks all around. I have some documents from Harrison Auto Dynamics showing testing and tuning done in 2004.
    For those who don't know the RF-96 features a front mono shock which allows setting up the anti-roll progression rate to suit the course. It is also easier and cheaper to set up and maintain. I have some documents from Harrison Auto Dynamics showing testing and tuning done in 2004.
    Rear anti sway is adjustable from the cockpit.
    Girling Brakes, Master cylinder and cockpit adjustable bias pedal.
    Crow Harness (expired)
    Safety Systems Inc. fire bottle (should be checked)
    MOMO detachable steering wheel
    Seats: 2 custom molded seats included (probably won't fit you).
    Super Trapp Suppressor (muffler) with extra baffles and new stainless hardware. (This is not currently installed but I usually keep it on the car because it does not seem to cause any reduction in power)
    Micron 3 Gold: Car is set up for Micron 3 Gold data display and logger. I sent the head unit back to the factory for service and did not reinstall it so it is still in the box, but the sensors and wiring are still on the car so installation is easy. There is a bracket for it on the dash and also one on the steering wheel.
    2 Sets of Oz Wheels: One set with Avon slicks that were run twice and are now several years old and
    a set on the car with Sumitomo HTR200 175/50-R13 front and 225/50-R13 rear

Other parts and spares:
    Brakes:
    Spare Master Cylinder (Girling)
    Spare fill neck and cap (Girling)
    14 pairs of pads (new and used, all good)
    Bleeding Kit
    Seals Kits

Suspension:
    Upright Assembly
    3 front springs, 9 pairs of rear springs
    Rear anti sway - full assembly
    2 front lower control arms (A Frames)
    1 front upper control arm
    3 rear lower control arms (one bent slightly)
    1 rear upper control arms
    1 steering rod with spherical bushings
    Front and rear push rods.
    Many sets of shims

Cooling:
    Radiator
    Spare Water Pump
    Set of pump pulleys and three belts
    Extra hose pieces

Ignition:
    Coil, New Rotor, Used Rotor, New Points and balast, Used points and balast, new distributor cap, distributor roller bearing, all Bosch or Napa
    Ignition wire set, Taylor
    MSD 6A available if you want it

Drive train:
    1 complete tripod, 2 tripod housings
    1 half shaft

Wings:
    Spare Front and Rear Wings (Complete)
    Wing parts: extra sets of end plates, braces, winglets, etc.
    2 front tubes

Body Work:
    Nose cover with crumpled front point but repairable
    side panel

Spare Headrest
    New Tube covers (padded and hard kind)

Tools:
    New service cart:
    1/2 drive torque wrench
    1-1/8 socket for wheels
    Oil dipstick
    Start/Charge cable for remote battery

Miscellaneous:
    Racing Electronics radio kit for motorola (complete but does not include radio)
    5 Gallon Fuel Bottle
    Scissor and rear jack (for VD car)
    Quality Racing Accessories car support (goes under car for servicing)
    4 Orange Traffic Cones
    Alignment tube kit (aluminum)
    2 spare mirrors

Trailer is available as a package for :
    Haulmark TH85X20WTT2 20 ft Fully Enclosed 7000 gross vehicle weight Dual Axel with Electric brakes
    Bargman break away Kit
    Trailer sway control kit installed
    Custom hitch available
    Interior: carpet over diamond plate, Recessed tie down points
    6 ton bottle jack
    Spare wheel and tire (for trailer)
    Wheel bearing grease caps (unistalled)
    2 interior lamps
    Overhead crank up vent
    Custom built storage (see photos) for parts supplies and tires
    Electric winch on custom bracket with wireless remote (makes 1 man loading/unloading easy)
    Built in ramps (see photos)

Personal Protection Equipment below is also available. If the new owner of the car does not take them I will list the below items separately:
    Helmet, Throttle Racing, White with clear and tinted visors, some tear aways, worn about ten times always with a head sock, excellent, never dropped or I would have replaced it, always kept in padded carry bag.
    Racing Suits, Large, Blue and White, one R.P.M. like new, and one R.J.S. very good.
    Two pairs large blue and white gloves, one good SAFEQUIP and one very good Simpson
    Shoes, very good Oakley Carbon X, size 12, blue and white, worn about a dozen times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 11.07.14 at 9:07 AM.

Liked: 3

Default RF96 and Trailer

PM and email sent.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

This is Carl Scott's previous car, and is fast. It was a very capable Pinto FC, properly maintained with a good spares package.
    Non biased independent endorsement.:
    I do not know the current owner or have interest in this transaction.
    I will say that I have personally driven sub one minute laps at all three Firebird tracks on old tires during a test day in this car. It also has history at Willow Springs and other West Coast Pro F2000 series races in the early 2000's. Lap times can probably be found online, or if not, Les Phillips can help with records. Carl placed third in the highly competitive 2001 NASA Pro FC Championship in this car, behind myself and Jeff Sievert, and I can assure you , both of us substantially out spent him financially in doing so. If someone is wanting a good CFC, or an SCCA aero car on a budget, go for it. If I am reading the ad right, and it has only been used for solo and track days, the chassis should still be straight, and easy to setup. I only recall one bad day in a couple of years of paddock next to this team, and that was because a swarm of bees invaded our easyups and we were late to grid

Novak could make this car an F1000 MONSTER for very little money !
    Last edited by marshall9; 10.27.14 at 6:31 AM.

To OP
    If I am reading the ad right and you only want 2K for the trailer, pls send me info on how you want to be paid, consider it sold. I can be in ALBQ Tuesday pm with Benjamins and a truck to get it.
    Marshall
    Last edited by marshall9; 10.27.14 at 12:48 AM.

Default Thanks to Marshall9

Thanks to Marshall9 for the kind words. This is indeed the same car he referred to and I included some photos of Carl driving it. I am not nearly as skilled a driver as Mr. Scott was, so the car was always much quicker than myself.

It is still exactly the same car as it was then except for a few hours on the motor. And by a few I mean probably less than six, during which it was never above 6800 rpm because I have a hard limiter. Mostly it was in the 5-6K rpm range, since our track has hairpin curves. The only thing I changed on the car was the oil (Mobil 1) and the seat. In fact I never even changed the gearbox ratios because it worked so well as I got it.

I did only use it for solos, track days, and practice laps, and precious few of those. I never crashed it. I did carelessly bump one of the two noses which cracked to first few inches of fiberglass only. I think it can be repaired if you know how to do fiberglass. The front brackets that hold the nose on were not even bent, and the crush box was of course untouched. I was moving maybe two or three mph at the time. The control arms, uprights and everything else are the same ones I got it with. I did have to replace one foil on the front wing due to it rolling in the trailer as I transported it home. I even have the same spares that came with the car because I never used any of them.

As a last note, I should have been clearer in the opening thread but I do not want to sell the trailer separately since I can easily get at least $4K for it here. I would just prefer to sell it with the car because it is set up so well for it, but I will sell the car alone if someone wants that.

I am pricing to sell fast because that is what I need to do.

Working out logistics with the guy from CA. We should have a deal finalized today for the package. I'll be over with a Cashier's check and truck. He and I will square up the details of what we separate. We would like to do it before you leave town next week. Thanks.

Default A few more things

I remembered a few supplies on hand. 2 qts mobil 1, 2 qts valvoline synthetic gear oil, bottle of water wetter, bottle of blue brake fluid.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1261

Default Just waiting on you...

RJ - just waiting for you to have time for the inspection. Been ready to wire the funds for days.

Thanks,
    Paul

Liked: 14

Pm sent
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

Default Still Available

Just so everyone is clear, this car, trailer, and everything else in the original post is still available, and it will be until I have cash in hand. No one has put any sort of deposits down, and as soon as somebody does I will close the thread.

If you are interested and the thread is still open, go ahead and get in touch with me.

Thanks.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

In regard to the Novak F1000 reference - The Nova-Dieman kit is for the '98 and newer chassis...

Default happy as can be

As the HAPPY new owner of this car I would like to say thanks to RJ for making this a very easy deal. He returned all my calls and made it VERY easy to buy the car. I am very excited to get started on bringing this car up to date. I may need some help on where to source some parts from soon!

Congrats, and have fun ! It was a winner in the past, and should still be a capable car.

Liked: 14

Default Re: 96 vd rf 96 - sold

Congrats on the car! Remember, there is a wealth of knowledge here on apexspeed if you have any questions on the car, chances are someone has already asked the same question.

Jon Updegrove
    RF97 Van Diemen FC
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

Thread Information