Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

Default 2015 major dates

Can someone please advise When are the 2015 majors dates released, also runoffs

Liked: 304

Steve, I do not know what is official. but noticed last night that the southeast division has released the 2015 schedule which includes 4 majors dates. However, my understanding was the majors East was going to be split between NE and SE, so I do not understand only 4 majors races on the schedule.

http://www.sedivracing.org/2015_Schedule.pdf

Barry

Liked: 852

SCCA also just released a DATE CHANGE for the Daytona Runoffs in 2015. They moved it backward a week to avoid a big race at Road Atlanta (for workers and spectators).
    Check out the SCCA Club Racing / Runoffs site.

I've also heard that the 2015 Majors list will be out ... soon :-).
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Liked: 307

Why is Sebring the 3rd weekend in January - not the 1st as has been tradition.

With this schedule doing both will not be possible for me.

Liked: 232

Default Swap 'in dates .......

I hate starting this way, "... but back in the 'ole days ....", when the Double "Grapefruit" Nationals first started, these not always swapped the first week/second week. Actually for many years PBIR/Moroso was always first with a "FF Prorace" on Saturday having 40+ entries and many new cars i. e. Lola, Van Diemen, PRS, Crossle, Royale, Tiga, flown in to Miami from England [as well as USA brands] for their first USA showing - with sales "closed" next weekend at Sebring - Huge issue of Autoweek/CP and Formula covered these weekends as "new cars issue" including FV FF2000 and S2000) [Note" -PBIR/Morose had another National in September as a kinda "...last chance..." qualifier for the Runoffs - cars on the bubble would come down and compete then travel back north with several teams leaving their cars in the Gainesville GA area]

Only recently due to the new owners of PBIR (and their commitment to the NHRA
    "Wintertest" -as well as the international kart race -and the reconfigured track/paddock - etc) did that become "difficult" - With the Homestead track it is somewhat easier to swap dates. Remember Sebring is in great demand for early testing often times lately the "factories" would be waiting across the pit straight to set up .

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Why is Sebring the 3rd weekend in January - not the 1st as has been tradition.

With this schedule doing both will not be possible for me.
    Because the FIRST weekend in January is the 2nd-4th, which means the Thursday test day would be on New Year's Day. Both the track and the region found that to be unacceptable.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Butch, what is the status of the eastern majors? It was my understanding that the NE and SE would become separate majors regions for 2015. The SE region calendar only shows four majors races however.

Thanks,
    Barry

Liked: 76

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Davis View Post
    SCCA also just released a DATE CHANGE for the Daytona Runoffs in 2015. They moved it backward a week to avoid a big race at Road Atlanta (for workers and spectators).
    Check out the SCCA Club Racing / Runoffs site.

I've also heard that the 2015 Majors list will be out ... soon :-).
    I looked at the schedule and I don't see anything at road Atlanta the previous week.
    Are we talking about a non SCCA event?
    butch deer

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by butch deer View Post
    I looked at the schedule and I don't see anything at road Atlanta the previous week.
    Are we talking about a non SCCA event?
    http://www.scca.com/clubracing/news.cfm?cid=52003

Liked: 3

Default 2015

Butch:

I believe the 2015 Runoffs date moved to avoid a conflict with Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta.

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    Butch, what is the status of the eastern majors? It was my understanding that the NE and SE would become separate majors regions for 2015. The SE region calendar only shows four majors races however.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Hopefully they'll be ready to release the information soon, but unless my successor changes things up dramatically there will be four Majors events actually conducted in the Southeast Conference - Homestead, Sebring, Road Atlanta & VIR. Then even though they will be conducted by regions outside the conference, the NOLA event (presumably March 7-8) and Summit Point (presumably May 1-3) will also count towards Southeast Conference championships.

Each conference will still count the best eight finishes of six weekends (twelve races). There will be a number of "dual" events designated that count in multiple conferences - Mid-Ohio, for instance, will count for both the North and Northeast.

It will become much clearer when they release the "working" 2015 Majors schedule, which is tentatively planned to be around Sept 15 (is that ambiguous enough?).

And yes, the 2015 Runoffs dates were moved to avoid conflict with the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta. While the Petit is certainly a non-SCCA event, a lot of SCCA workers and almost all the Runoffs on-air announcing talent would be in Atlanta rather than Daytona if they're the same weekend.
    Butch Kummer

Thanks Butch.

I'll have to say, it doesn't address the actual problem of too few majors races in the SE. We get a separate majors conference but we still include Summit Point and we add NOLA. I don't see a lot of difference. I hope the NE guys are going to come out better, no real difference for the SE.

By the end of January, half of our SE conducted majors races are done...

Barry

Liked: 4

It would be a good thing if you could count up to 2 "out of conference" majors towards your conf points.

That way, those from up north traveling south are doing it for more than fun, and events like the Sprints could count for people pulling from far far away.

Quote Originally Posted by scott sanda View Post
    It would be a good thing if you could count up to 2 "out of conference" majors towards your conf points.

That way, those from up north traveling south are doing it for more than fun, and events like the Sprints could count for people pulling from far far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    Each conference will still count the best eight finishes of six weekends (twelve races). ...
    I believe this is pretty close to what you were thinking would be a "good thing" (though not exactly). IMHO, we DO have enough Majors races in SEDIV for 2015 .. along with quite a few NON-Majors weekends that still count for SECS points towards the Runoffs. I presume there will continue to be at least THREE different paths to reach the Runoffs, including the Majors, SECS and National Points. I was wondering about Summit since it's right on the border between SEDIV and NEDIV - this provides a good solution. SEDIV can count Summit and Summit can count VIR - should improve the car counts for both Divisions .. er.. Conferences . The 'outlier of NOLA gives racers that want to try different tracks another place to go that will COUNT. I went there this year, but it didn't count since it was out of conference. They've slid it down the calendar a bit to try to avoid what happened last year (freezing rain - didn't expect that at New Orleans), but I'm not sure what people will think of a tow that long for "just" a 2 day weekend. I suspect that Friday would be a test day, so that might help things. I have no idea what the reason was for defining only specific events that would be allowed to count, but I'm CERTAIN there was a GOOD REASON.. after all, this IS SCCA, right ?
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 29

and in almost no time at all, nationals and majors, turns into majors with fewer conferences than divisions with more double race weekends to make it more economical, is now turning back into majors with the same amount of conferences and divisions, and more races to make more races that can be attended, which is about the same as the previous nationals....

The reason for counting specific OOC events rather than allowing 1-2 wild cards was to encourage drivers to support "their" events plus discourage people from cherry-picking at lower subscribed events (that might be 1500 mile away) to accumulate points. It also allows the Majors program to have awards parties at specific events (a concept that's been well-received by those getting conference awards). If you don't designate which events count for each conference then you can't determine champions until the very last event of each season.

As far as concern about increasing the number of events, in 2014 there were 25 Majors events while in 2015, even with one additional conference, there will be 24. The BoD is adamant we will not return to 85 "National" weekends in a calendar year and has set a ceiling of 25 events on the Majors calendar.
    Butch Kummer

Keith,
    You are OBVIOUSLY confused. This is SCCA and things are TOTALLY different now...
    See ?
    Steve, FV80

Liked: 5

Butch: ". . . . . but unless my successor changes things up dramatically . . . . "
    "Successor"? I am curious about the rest of this story.

Jim

Butch Kummer

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    Wow! What does the future hold for you, Butch? Anything that you can talk about at this time?

Jim

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Butch , it has been a pleasure dealing with you ,,,, I hope to see you around the s.e. div in the future,,,,,,bob

Thread Information