Liked: 0

Default A newbie question.

I did a search but couldn't find the answer. What type of shifters do the formula 1000 cars use? For example, Novak/Van Diemen (RF99)? Are they paddle shifters or sequential shifters? I thought they had sequential shifters but I was browsing through wikipedia and it says there are a lot of manufacturers who make paddle shifters for the F1000 cars so I'm now confused.

Thanks!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Shifters

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...hlight=SHIFTER

The standard bike gearbox is sequential but some are using a paddle type shifters and some have a linkage with a standard shift lever.
    Last edited by Mike Holland; 07.17.14 at 7:34 AM. Reason: clarafication

Thanks Mike. I read through the thread but couldn't quite find a short answer. Guess I'm more of a newbie than I thought! Although I'm now thinking the Novak/Van Diemen F1000 car I was inquiring about has paddle shifters and not sequential shifters. Please let me know if that is a right assumption!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default SHIFTERS

The question should be whether the car has an electronic shifter or a linkage to the gearbox with a shift lever. The electronic shifter may have paddles or a standard shift lever. Email the owner of the NovaDiemen and ask what is on the car. Email me and can explain more.

Liked: 1432

I think you might be a little confused on the lingo.

All bikes (the engines used in F1000 cars) are sequential, meaning the gear selection is a forward, or backward motion as oppose to an H-patter you find on a street car.

Now, as for selecting that sequential gear change there are a few options, paddles (mechanical or electrical) or a simple lever that looks the same as a normal shifter, but instead of an H-pattern it is a push forward/pull backward for gear changes. Most cars will have a engine cut and a blipper system of some varying degree of complexity, associated with paddles or the lever.

Hope that helps.

Where in Milwaukee are you?

For me the essence of sequential is that the only way to get from 1st gear to 6th is to pass through 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. No skipping gears as one might in an automotive gear box. That is not to say that one has to engage (by letting the clutch out) each of the gears while passing through.

The design for a sequential gearbox (two shafts as opposed to three or more) is both simple and robust and even F1 has ended up using a very similar transmission design.

I must admit that I am curious to see inside the latest MotoGP gearboxes which are a. required to be fully mechanical and b. perform like the latest dual clutch automotive transmissions in that they allow the gearbox to be in two separate gear ratios simultaneously without blowing up. So far no one has been able to photograph (allowed to) the interior of the gearboxes with this setup.

The advantage of these new gearboxes that is that they allow a. clutch less shifting and b. perform without any upsetting lurch through the drivetrain that would cause traction problems when leaned over in a corner.

The design that I think that they are using requires VERY precise sprag clutches to be built into each gear set. The machining and clearances must be incredibly precise.

Hasty Horn

Liked: 6

A little added info. The shifter system most of the guys are using is Geartronics, which is pneumatic not electronic. There is an electronic system, the issues with it is once the actuator becomes hot the shifting becomes less consistent and less reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by DonArm View Post
    A little added info. The shifter system most of the guys are using is Geartronics, which is pneumatic not electronic. There is an electronic system, the issues with it is once the actuator becomes hot the shifting becomes less consistent and less reliable.
    It's both, paddles are electronic with the business end being pneumatic. Electronically controlled pneumatic I think they call it? Right? I just didn't want to add more confusion. I lumped it into "electronic" as oppose to the mechanical paddles on Mike's and Dan's cars.

Liked: 43

Don't forget Jeremy's car. He has the same system that we use and is Fast!

He does? Cool. I didn't know.

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    Now, as for selecting that sequential gear change there are a few options, paddles (mechanical or electrical) or a simple lever that looks the same as a normal shifter, but instead of an H-pattern it is a push forward/pull backward for gear changes. Most cars will have a engine cut and a blipper system of some varying degree of complexity, associated with paddles or the lever.
    Thank you!

Thread Information