Liked: 0

Default Formula First for hill climb

Would a Formula First chassis be overpowered by a Type IV Porsche engine? Also would a Type IV motor fit?

Thinking about building a light weight hill climb car and the Formula First chassis looks like a good candidate.

The motor I have in mind is 215 hp / 200 ft lbs at the crank.

All advice appreciated.

Liked: 304

FST and FV have similar chassis. They both use the same gearbox which is probably the weak point for your HP/torque. It is a VW swingaxle. You could change it.

Liked: 190

Quote Originally Posted by Randal View Post
    Would a Formula First chassis be overpowered by a Type IV Porsche engine?
    Simple answer is yes. 215 BHP is too much for the gearbox (per BLS above). VW rates that gearbox for a maximum of 175 BHP

Also would a Type IV motor fit?
    I don't think it could without chassis mods. Can't say if they would be major or minor.

Thinking about building a light weight hill climb car and the Formula First chassis looks like a good candidate.
    My opinion, find another option. FST (or FV) is far from a thoroughbred. To use your (very powerful) engine, I think you'd need a much stronger gearbox and more suitable chassis

The motor I have in mind is 215 hp / 200 ft lbs at the crank.
    Too much power for FST (or FV)

All advice appreciated.
    These are my opinions/advice... Look to a different direction as your starting point. Sorry to be a buzzkill
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Appreciate the answers.

On a hill you need something that is drivable and consistent. My 914 is great as it handles at any speed and is predictable, especially since I went with a staggered tire set up based upon the weight balance and soft Avons. Car is very competitive, but doesn't have the HP to compete with purpose built hill climb cars or well driven Cobra's with 700 HP.

A C Sports Racer would make a good hill climb car, but not sure a 1600 or 2 liter motor would be enough.
    Last edited by Randal; 07.04.14 at 1:44 PM.

Default Swing HP

Randal, Engine will fit. you will need a smaller fly wheel to fit in bell housing. im not sure where Bill got the " VW rated the swing to 175 HP?" VW never had 175HP. Theses were designed for a 50 hp single port 1500 cc engine. dual port 1600cc were hooked to IRS transaxles. That said I build swing axles all day that can handle 250 hp. Off roading and at the dunes . Where there is no constant traction. Lots of HD parts and you will want a special hill climb gear set any way. TBD is available , super diff , HD axles (400 to 500HP) if needed. and it can even be made into a five speed close ratio box.
    VW Style transaxles rebuilt!
    www.mrgasrebuilds.com

Default Sounds Good

So where do I find the specs for the engine bay on a formula first?

Now seriously considering my existing type iv put together with the right transaxle.

Maybe the smart way to go is to buy an existing car and do the conversion?

Liked: 304

Randal, no real "specs" exist other than it will fit a VW1600 dual port engine with a single bocar carb. Different designs will have different configurations, in particular the rear roll bar / chassis stiffening braces.

Thread Information