Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Mid Ohio transportation assistance, HELP !

Hi all,
    Mike Rand here, trying to relive my youth.
    50 years ago at age 16 I hitchhiked from Fairfield County CT out to Bridgehampton on the far eastern end of Long Island for a USRRC race. Slept in a sleeping bag in the woods, jumped the fence, just HAD to be there.
    Now, 50 years on, my neighbors 15 year old grandson is repeating the process.
    He is car and racing nuts, specifically open wheel road racing, odd enough in this day and age, couldn't really care about stock cars or oval racing. Kind if odd coming from Michigan, home to literally dozens of paved and dirt ovals.
    Anyway, I have wired cash for him to bus down tomorrow arriving Mansfield around 6:30PM, hopefully he'll easily make it to M/O before Twilight Testing ends.
    John Walko has enthusiastically agreed to take him on as someone to do the grunt work, wiping down cars, cleaning wheels, fetching fuel, all the drudge work.
    He is a good, quiet, enthusiastic kid who will be taking some sort of automotive engineering courses in the fall, seems exactly like the type any overloaded team would love to host.
    So transportation to M/O is good.
    The issue is the return.
    The bus schedules are really limited going north from Mansfield and it seems his choices are 6AM Sunday or 6AM Monday.
    Hate for him to miss all the fun and games on Sunday, and his mother is understandably anxious about a 15 year old on his own in Mansfield overnight Sunday.
    So, anyone willing to help a kid get back north Sunday evening after the races are over ?
    His name is Dominic Solomon, super kid, and he and I would be in anyone's debt who can help out in any substantive way.
    He lives in Hastings Michigan, hometown of Indy 500 winner Gordy Johncock, sort of equal distance from Kalamazoo and Lansing and Grand Rapids.
    If he can just get say a half hour or 45 minutes away that would be beyond fantastic.
    Looking through the F1600, F2000, Atlantic entry lists has not flown any flags yet, and I suspect there are numerous folks in either FV, F600, or DUFFUS heading north Sunday evening.
    I will send out emails asking the organizers of those series if they have any likely suspects but would really appreciate any thoughts and offers. He could help with gas as I have sent him cash for round trip bus fare if that helps.....

Liked: 0

Really nice of you to step up Mr. Rand. I would suggest that we get Schwietz to fly him home but no kid deserves that special kind of terror.

Tom, I want the kid to maintain his enthusiasm, not be so traumatized he never even drives anything ever !
    I flew with MacInnes once.
    Once being the operative word.
    Schweitz would be in that same gene puddle I suspect...
    Love ya Tommy S, you are my idol.
    You not so much Brucie....

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    I flew with MacInnes once.
    Once being the operative word.
    Schweitz would be in that same gene puddle I suspect...
    Love ya Tommy S, you are my idol.
    You not so much Brucie....
    Bwahahaha! Wine, out my nose, Rand!

Thanks!
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 19

Hi Mike,

we are coming. I can get him back to livonia, if someone can pick him up from there. depending on where in Hastings its about 45 min. away.

give me a call 248-514-7255
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default Option #2

We will be coming back to Dexter, Mi (just west of Ann Arbor) Sunday and would be happy to bring him at least that far. I'm not sure how Terry got 45 minutes from Hastings to Livonia as I see that as a couple hours. We're about 20 minutes closer to Hastings.

PM me or call 734-323-1530 if we can help.

Liked: 19

ya ok u know driving to Gratten and Gingerman i see the sign for it and time just seems go quickly....ya its on the other side of lansing about an hour more than i thought ......SORRY...

sounds like either way one of us can get him close....
    Terry Abbott

2-Vector FV's
    1-SM Miata

You guys are great, once again the racing family steps up to help a new member of the community, thanks to all, and especially Fred Edwards with the F600 gang, he and wife Linda are getting Dom to Sturgis Sunday PM where his folks can get him.
    What a nice change, a 15 year old who is not into Drifting !
    Hopefully there are more like him out there and we can keep open wheel road racing going strong.
    Thanks again to all for the offered assistance.

Liked: 0

Default Hello Mike

Long time no see Mike ! thought I would take advantage of your ability to get folks together to help racers in need for me. Nice job getting another good kid in the ranks ! I won't fly with Cousin Brucie and glad to hear to Tommy's still around ! I am looking for a car to fun in Historics and regionals for fun. If you know of any less than 20 G ,please give em my number. 717. 576. 7855. I live in Bluffton SC now which is close to Savannah. Looking for a FF. fC. Or sports 2000. My objective is fun and getting private coaching gigs. Cassius Mullen

Thread Information