Liked: 0

Default best states/regions for racing?

Hey guys, I'm currently living in VA and will be there for at least the next 6-12 months. But, after this period I will likely be looking to acquire a practice (I'm a dentist) and my options of locations are pretty open since I'm single with no dependents. Aside from the obvious factors that come into play when deciding where to establish one's life, I'd like to include racing into my decision as best I can.
    I have attached a map of the states that my regional exam allow me to practice in at the moment. Any state that is whited out is a state that accepts my regional exam and thus a state I can relocate to.

So, my question to you all is this: Out of all the white states on the map, which ones do you guys think are the most beneficial for aspiring racers to live in? (aka: which states/regions have a lot of road courses that have a reasonable amount of accessibility to amateurs? which ones have the strongest local participation? etc)

Feel free to simplify this into "as a racer, if you could live in any state, which would it be?" if you like, just don't forget to say why you chose that state.

Additionally, if any of you are into karting as well and want to throw out comments on states/regions with best kart support (kart sprint tracks, good regional competition base to join the ranks of, etc) that would also be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Liked: 605

In Central Florida I can easily drive to: Daytona, Palm Beach [PBIR], Sebring, Homestead, Savannah [Roebling Road - and I'm not sure how much the other course on Hutchinson Island is being used these days]

I can for just a little more trouble drive to: Atlanta, Birmingham Alabama [Barber], Kershaw SC,

VIR is a bit of a hike but it can be argued it's worth the drive.

Remember - Randy Pobst decided that he wasn't going anywhere living in Florida and moved to Atlanta.

Liked: 115

Default Location

I did much the same scouting a number of years ago. I took all the tracks in the northeast and Midwest and started drawing concentric circles around all the tracks. I kept widening the circles until they started to overlap...at the time it worked out that just a bit north east of Harrisburg PA was the sweet spot....

Just my $.02 worth and since they invented Novocain I have no problem with dentists so I wouldn't lead you astray..

Banned
    Liked: 1116

To me there are soooo many other factors that would influence my decision about where to live and start a practice.

However, you stated as it relates to racing.

Of the white states I'd go PNW and race with Council.

If you know which class you want to race then take a look here:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...tion_FINAL.pdf

While it looks like some areas of the country are weak, it could very well be an indicator that there is a very good alternative.

Towing across the Rockies should be a concern. Some regions of the country can be an awfully long and boring drive.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Al's got it. Scranton, PA to Binghamton,NY .... you're less than a day's drive from dozens of tracks, and half a day from a bunch. And these are great tracks like the Glen, Mosport, Mid-Ohio, Montreal, etc. Lots of different club, Pro, and vintage groups to choose from too.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Banned

Not many places to scuba in many of those white states...

Liked: 502

What type of racecar?

It does matter, we have huge FF fields here in AZ, and some other classes as well. If you answer FST, there are none here that I know of. Mazda fields are small, FM anyway. RX7s do get a lot of participation.

I moved here because I like a warm climate, where I can race and enjoy other outdoor hobbies year round.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 923

If you don't mind dry suit and somewhat murky waters Lake Erie has some nice wrecks.

But that said all my diving is done in the Caribbean.

Liked: 68

A day's drive from Milwaukee/Chicago gets you to:

Milwaukee Mile
    Road America
    Mid-Ohio
    Grattan
    Gingerman
    Nelson Ledges
    Blackhawk Farms
    Gateway
    Brainerd
    Waterford Hills
    Mid-Am
    Hallet (long drive, but I've done it)
    BeaveRun

There are probably more that I haven't picked up on (not having done the drive myself).

CenDiv has a solid open-wheel contingent in just about every class. FM seems to have weakened a bit lately, but otherwise you'd have a good group regardless of what car you pick.
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Default Upstate New York is great , BUT

The TAXES will kill you , I know first hand ... I live an hour from the Glen you can race as much as you like here with all the different organizations . and a short trip to Mid Ohio, Pocono ,Nelson a little farther to Limerock and NJMP

Liked: 95

Default CANADA!

No OBAMA care up here. We have had a good health care system up here going over 50 years! We always need DR's although family GP's most. Taxes are probably lower and housing in my area (Windsor) is a screaming deal. Most dentists I know make better than good money.
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 42

I've lived in Wisconsin and now I am in north Carolina. If I had to choose a place for all racing. Charlotte nc.

Brand new top notch karting facility outdoor. Great indoor facility. Vir 2 hours. Road Atlanta 3 hours. Charlotte motor speedway in town and has scca races again. Plus a huge amount within a day. And you can race every month of the year within a days drive.

Liked: 353

It looks like you're locked out of the southeast, which has the most active and growing SCCA program. Second choice would be either the northeast Pennsylvania (economically challenged) or southwest Connecticut (affluent/high cost of living) since you're locked out of NY/NJ. The added benefit of NEDiv, if you're thinking about FF or FC is easy access to the pro series.

After that, the upper midwest would be a good choice. Chicago/Illinois is expensive in some obvious and subtle ways, but gives you access to some great tracks. Good population density.

The WDC Region has a very strong regional racing program, so staying where you are might also be a good choice. It would also provide good access to the FF/FC pro series.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Tijauna, BC! There are a bunch of American doctors and dentists with practices in Mexico where the laws are different and costs are negligible. Most of them are doing either cosmetic surgery or cosmetic dentistry. You could live across the border in the U.S. You would be within easy towing distance of Willow Springs, Auto Club Speedway, Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla in California, Pahrump and Las Vegas Motorspeedway in Nevada, Firebird and Indie Ranch in Arizona and a lot more within a day or two. Laguna Seca, Thunderhill and Infineon should all be within a day's tow. Passing the test (if there is one) should be a piece of cake. If it's not, Mexican officials accept bribes! Viva La Dentista!

EG

Liked: 102

I would suggest that you also consider the personal and business tax rates as well as medical malpractice insurance costs. They vary considerably state by state.

As Marshall said, Arizona has a lot of Formula Ford racing, but only 5 tracks in state. You need to take a one day road trip to visit the other 8 nearby tracks. Great winter weather, we race while Pennsylvania is shoveling snow. Lower property tax rates and lower real estate prices relative to the midwest and northwest and northeast (especially Va, NY, Conn, RI etc). Lower personal and business taxes than most states, although New York has introduced a new no tax program for small businesses ( but I doubt it applies to dentists ).

Texas has no personal income tax, low auto licensing fees (especially compared to Va), low property taxes,….

If you want to talk to an established dentist in the Phoenix area, I can give you the number of my dentist. He has 3 offices and will share the good and the bad about Phoenix with you. He may offer you a place to start.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

Vegas? No state income tax...

Tracks within a days drive:

Reno/Fernley
    INDE
    Firebird
    Chuckwalla
    Fontana
    Willow Springs
    Buttonwillow
    Laguna Seca
    Sears Point
    Thunderhill
    Tooele
    Might make it to the Colorado tracks on a day's drive, as well as the two small NM tracks
    Las Vegas (plus Kart tracks in Vegas, Apple Valley, and all over SoCal)

Pretty much racing every month except July/August/December - although I've run a July race at Willow Springs before

HA! Pete beat me to it!

Wow, I am overwhelmed at the support you guys show to new posters. I was expecting 1-2 replies after a few days at most. Just wow. I just received so much info I'm going to have to read through it 2-3x to take it all in. Thanks so much guys, you've given me a good place to start.

To EYERACE: I'm actually in Orlando right now (for another 2-3 weeks), and grew up here. You're definitely selling me on spending the money to take Florida's regional exam, haha.

To those that commented on fiscal and professional factors for states, I found this funny since I tend to think along the same lines. As an example, I've attached that same map, but with other details (That I elected not to include in the original one since they weren't racing related).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Well since you've brought the tax situation into the fold...

WA does not have a personal income tax. A dentist making $300K in CA would pay $25,920 in STATE INCOME TAX alone. That's a pretty nice racing budget alone.

If you live near the OR border, OR doesn't have a sales tax.

There are 7MM people in WA and only .67 dentists per 1000 residents.

Open carry.

Shall issue for concealed weapons.

You will learn to race in the rain.

Good dive spots can't be far away.

Have you spent time on city-data.com?

Liked: 145

Vancouver, Washington

Portland international
    Pacific
    Oregon Raceway Park
    The Ridge
    Spokane County Raceway
    Mission, B.C.
    Thunder Hill
    Sears
    Laguna Seca
    Miller

No state tax.....next to Portland......SCCA and ICSCC

Daryl, I haven't actually heard of city-data.com until now, but at 1st glance it looks quite useful. Its making me wish I would have posted on here 6 months ago since I could have really used that website when I was looking for my initial associateship position, haha. Anyways, it's almost 1am so no time now, but I'm leaving the site open to remind me to assault it 1st thing in the morning.

Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

I like the way you're thinking.
    Here is a SCCA Class count that could be helpful if you want to compare classes/regions. You'd need to drill down into each region for specific track use though.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...tion_March.pdf

Cheers - Jim

Quote Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
    I like the way you're thinking.
    Here is a SCCA Class count that could be helpful if you want to compare classes/regions. You'd need to drill down into each region for specific track use though.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...tion_March.pdf

Cheers - Jim
    The link above only shows the first few months of racing. The link below is for the full year.

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...tion_FINAL.pdf
    Marshall Mauney

Milwaukee Region

Liked: 45

SoCal. People take vacations here and write songs about this place...plus we have a bunch of cool tracks near by.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

Thread Information