Contributing Member Scott Hutchison's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Default Super Vee help needed.

A friend and I recently purchased a 1978 Lola T620 Super Vee Chassis #HU-4. We are in the process fo restoring it and are trying to establish it's history. So far all we know is that it was oringinally purchased from Lola on 1/21/78 by Carl Haas Autos as a rolling chassis with Royal Blue body work.

We also know that in 1982 it was owned and raced by Craig Holcomb from Minneapolis, Minnesota.

If anyone has any info on this car or can suggest other possible sources I should try I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hutchison View Post

If anyone has any info on this car or can suggest other possible sources I should try I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
    You've probably already been to The Lola Registry and found nothing on this particular chassis, but there are others that may have useful info.

http://thelolaregistry.com/Regisrty_pages/lola_t620.htm

You may also want to try to contact a guy by the name of Glyn Jones. When I had my T440 and when I got my 97/20 Indy Lights tub, he sent me a bunch of technical drawings.

http://www.lolaheritage.co.uk

Brad
    Currently Without Car

Thanks Brad.

I've been to both of those sights and Glyn at Lola Heritage was super helpful, but neither sight has any info to help me find out who the original owner of our car was.

I'v also contacted Greg Wryzsinski at Carl Haas Autos but he informed me that they do not have any sales records going back to 1978.

There were only a hand full of Lola T620s running in 1978 so you wouldn't think it would be very hard but so far no luck at all.

If you think of anything else let me know.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 11

Maybe try Herm Johnson, he is in your area and looks to have been one of the few drivers to ever win a pro series race in a 620 along w/ Bob Lazier (father of Buddy & Jacques).

1978-08-13, Brainerd, Herm Johnson, Lola T620
    1978-09-04, Road America, Herm Johnson, Lola T620
    1978-09-30, Watkins Glen, Herm Johnson, Lola T620

Here are results to the 1978 Pro SV series:
    http://www.teamdan.com/archive/www2/superv/78svrob.html
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    Maybe try Herm Johnson
    Not a bad idea either...if you need his number, let me know. He is actually in your neck of the woods quite often as he instructs at BIR. Taught with him a few times last year. Now that I think of it, one of his old engineers and his brother went through the school last year. Recall them telling a story of how they fabbed a suspension part they drew on a bar napkin. Drew it Friday, fabbed it Saturday and raced it Sunday....

Brad
    Currently Without Car

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

There was also the Mini-Indy series in 1978 that supported USAC races. Tim Richmond won the opening round at Phoenix in a Lola.

I've been in touch with Herm and one of his old crew members and it appears that this is not his old car. This car has had a modification to the roll bar and steering wheel attachment. I sent photos to Herm and his crew member and neither one recognized them. They also indicated that the suspension had been modified and our suspension appears stock.

I think my next move is to start trying to contact the rest of the T620 drivers listed in the 1978 results.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default Here are the photos.

Here are the photos I forgot to attach.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default More Lola SV clues to go with photos.

When disassembling the Lola we notice the unusual number tag on the roll bar and was wondering if anyone knew what it was. Maybe the roll bar manufacturers serial number??

Also took photos of two unusual modifications that do not look factory. The roll bar appears to have been raised and new roll bar brace brackets fabricated and an unusual quick release steering wheel set up. Maybe someone will recognize them.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 160

The brass tag would have matched the SCCA log book number. My log book number was stamped directly on to the roll bar but I have seen a 3 or 4 supervee's from the same period where the brass tag was used. They all stater with the number 79-.

Joe

Thanks Joe, that's excellent news. I'll contact the SCCA and see if they can tell me who the log book was issue to.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default super vee help

I saw you post that you are looking for any information on a 1978 Lola T620 Super Vee Chassis #HU-4. I dont know if this information would help you. I have a stack of old offical entry forms for 1978 VW gold cup at watkins Glen. This forms have car/driver/owner information. All signed by owners/drivers. Do you know the name of the original race team? I can take a look to see if I have one for your car.
    Mark

Liked: 113

Default Watkins Glen entry info

...not to Hi-Jack the thread, but I would be interested in seeing the info you have, Mark. We are restoring a March 783 that is one of two imported to run in the 1978 Gold Cup. I am not sure if it was entered by Wilbur Bunce, but it was driven by Dennis Firestone. feel free to contact me at swiftdb2@aol.com, with any info.

Chris Robson
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Default Re: March SV

Chris,

Not to hijack this thread any further, however, my Ralt RT 5 is prepped at a local shop (Sabina Precision Preparation), where Dennis Firestone is a customer. I am under the impression that the March he drove to the 79 chamionship is being restored by them. Bob Morris, who was his crew chief at the time, is doing the restoration on the car. The car was located in Toronto, Canada before it was purchased. I believe that it has the tub ID plate indicating serial number #001. There is a brief story and a few accompanying pictures on their website at Sabinamotors.com. This is not meant for any disparaging purpose, other than clearly up the history of both cars.

Liked: 113

Default Hi-jack!!!

Hi Bart,

Apologies to Scott once again.

I have a March 783, not a 79FSV. My chassis is #026, one of only 11 total F3 cars produced during 1978. They did not make a FSV in 78, rather they sent over two 783 F3 cars minus any components required by the series (engine mounts, calipers, gearbox adapters, etc...). From what I can gather, these two cars were the "mule's" used to evaluate competitiveness of the chassis in the US FSV series and create the VW FSV "kit" for 1979. I am not sure if Dennis drove, one or both of the chassis'. I believe that the cars did not run until mid-season.

Also, I have no knowledge of what happened to the car, or who drove them during the 1979 and 1980 series, but one was retained and used during the first half of the 1979 campaign. I do know that the car was last raced in '81 at "Mike Hull Racing" (the Mike Hull, of Target Chip Ganassi Racing) and then "stored" in the rafters of a shop until 2004

I would love to make contact with someone associated with Dennis Firestone, the team, the season, etc.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

...now, once again back to Scott and "his" quest for knowledge...

It might be time to open an new thread...
    Last edited by Chris Robson; 06.28.09 at 10:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Here's what I've found out about the log book number on the brass tag. I contacted SCCA national and they said they do not keep records on log book numbers at the national office but that the #79 means it was issued by the South Carolina region and I should contact them. This make some sense because the first FSV Championship race of the 1978 season was at Charlotte.

I've contacted the South Carolina region but have not gotten a response yet. I'll keep you posted.

Mark, I'm definitely interested in the info you have from the 1978 Glen race once I can figure out who's car this was.

No problem Chris, hi-jack away. The more history the better.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Default 1978 watkins glen entry forms

I have about 60+ entry forms from the 1978 Robert Bosch VW gold cup race at watkins glen. I had every car in the field but sold about 5 of them so far. These forms are filled out by each team & driver. I am working of a list & will post asap. I also have a few misc super vee items from 1974-1980.
    You can email me at markpenske@aol.com for details of wait for my new post.

MARKPENSKE@AOL.COM
    Here is a list of original entry forms from the Watkins Glen 1978 Robert Bosch VW gold cup race. Entry forms are $9 each unless marked differently. Shipping is $3 (USA) Note: I have a few misc odd items at the end of the list.
    Entry forms are filled out & signed by team & drivers. Contain Social security numbers which I will blank out before shipping for their protection.

CAR NUMBER – ENTRANT/DRIVER – MAKE/MODEL

#00 W.T. Noble/William Noble, Crossle
    #1 Tivoli lodge/Bob Lazier, Lola T620 (w/original copy & letter) $20
    #2 A.Johnson/Herman Johnson, Lola T620
    #3 Steve Lathrop/Fred Phillips, Zink 214
    #4 Skip Barber Racing/Brian Goodwin, Crossle 34
    #5 Valvoline racing with Chevron cars/M.Bleekemolen, Chevron B4
    #6A.J.Spot/AJspot, Super Nova TUI BH5
    #7 Robert Dugo/Bob Dugo, DM-2
    #9 Racetech/Mike Yoder, Lola T-620
    #10 David Roger racing/Dennis Firestone, March Super Vee SOLD(pending)
    #11 David Rogers racing/Larry Skipsey, March SOLD(pending)
    #12 Team Three Specialties/Loy Gigliotti, Zink Z14 $20
    #13 Dr AJ Manning/AJ Manning, Lola T250
    #15 Zeitler racing imports/George Dyer, Argo JM2
    #16 KL Racing/Ken Lawence, Royale RP-14K
    #17 Wright brothers motorsports/Mike Wright, Lola T-320
    #18 Venturi racing/Roger Bighouse, Venturi-Riliey Griffith
    #19 Beth Ardisana/John Kalagian, Lynx 01
    #21 Hemes racing/James George, Lola T-328M
    #22 Fitzpatrick racing/Bryan Johnson, Arro M2T
    #24 Air Flow racing/Steve Alexander, Lola T252
    #26 Caron formula racing/Richard Caron, TUI Bh4-5?
    #28? Bill Simpson racing/Pete Halsmer, Wheeler FSV $20
    #32 Moothart racing/Denny Moothart, MRA Riley
    #33 Giffin Ent./Jin Giffin, Ralt RT-1
    #36 RG Locurcio/RG Locurcio, Lola T-252
    #37 Steve Lathrop/Nancy James, Zink SOLD
    #38 Richard Messier motoracing/Richard Messier, Zink Z11
    #39 Maquire racing/Jon B Vandecar, Maquire RI76
    #40 Ralt American/Dave McMillian, Ralt RT1
    #41 Wasp racing/Bill Alsup, Argo $20
    #42 MCM racing/Harold MacDonald, Ralf RT1
    #43 Bill Scott racing/Francisco Romero, Ralf RT-1
    #45 Denis Egli/Denis Egli, Egli 79sv
    #46 Stuart Moore/S.Moore, Lola Bertil
    #47 Chas van Alker/Chas van Alker, Lola 322
    #48 Beril racing/Eddie Miller, Lola
    #49 Joseph Gimpel Sr/J.Gimpel Jr, Hawk Dl-16
    #52 Celebrity racing east/Glenn Plushinski, Lola 328
    #56 Psachier-Brummett/Tim Sharp, Ralt
    #59 Michael Odonvich/M.Odonvich, TUI BH3
    #63 Rural American racing/G.Scott Ovel, Lola T-620
    #65 Wasp racing/Bill Alsup, Wheeler $20
    #66 D.Psachie/Geoff Brabham, Ralt $20
    #67 Pharmacraft Comsumer products/Bill Cruse Argo RM-2
    #68 Billera Competition, D.Billera, Modus M2
    #69 Billera Competition, G.Mesnick, Modus M2
    #70, Syd Demovsky/Syd Demovsky, Lola 620
    #72, J.Brennen Jr/Hank Champman, Lola 324
    #74, Joseph Sadorx/Joseph Sadorx, Lola 620
    #76, Eastern racing services/William Roush, Lola 620
    #77, Fitzpatrick racing/Bryan Johnson, Wheeler
    #78, Ailglide Deflectors ltd/Heinz Swizek, Lola T329
    #79 McGuire racing/D.McGuire, Maguire 78
    #82 J.Orban/J.Orban, Royale RP-9
    #84 Environmental Maintance corp/Dale Coyne, Lola T-326 $20
    #87 Zeitler racing imports/Peter Moodie, Argo JM2 $20
    #88 Odyssey racing/William Vermeer, Lola H1 (w/envelope)
    #90 Pro-power engines/Mike Frangkiser, Crossle
    #90 JERT racing/Ron Taylor, Lola (scratched with jert letter)
    #92 Clark Henent racing/Douglas Clark, Zink Z14
    #96 Jack Lewis/Jack Lewis, Zink Z-14
    #99 Don Edwards/D.Bruns, Autosearch SOLD
    Misc items:
    - 1974 Watkins Glen race program for 5-star weekend (Can am, 6-hour, trans am, f5000, super vee) Goog condition, minor flaws $5 each
    - Letter to Watkins glen regarding 1979 VW super vee race. 3 pages long. List all teams/drivers & talks about entry fees. $10
    - 1977 letters (2) to & from Watkins glen & Follmer racing regarding race scratch. $10
    - 1977 letters (2) to & from Watkins glen & Fred Opert racing regarding race scratch (supernova). $10
    - I also have a few old Super vee photos.Shipping in the USA is about $3-$4.90 depending on markpenske@aol.com
    Last edited by markpenske; 06.30.09 at 10:05 AM.

Well the saga continues. I contacted Barbara Hayes of the South Carolina Region and she was only able to find log book records up to #79-160.

Mark, do the entry forms you have contain the log book number for the cars entered?
    Or does anyone have any ideas on who might have log book info for Pro Super Vees from 1978?

Any other ideas?
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 15

Scott

The first round of the SCCA sanctioned Robert Bosch VW Gold Cup in 1978 was at Charlotte
    I wonder if the SCCA plate would have been put on any car appearing for the first time under SCCA sanction at that event. [This happens with FBs earlier in the 1970s]
    This would mean your car was one of the new T620s at that race.
    These were:
    Bob Lazier
    Scott Ovel [car was royal blue, as yours was according to Lola records]
    Herm Johnson
    Mike Yoder
    Tim Richmond
    Syd Demovsky - who I think had T620-HU9 [certainly that car is claimed as ex Demovsky]

This would also help with the fact that your car ends up in Central Division. It's possible that the original owner came from there and that the South Carolina SCCA plate came from the first pro race of the car, rather than the owner being based in that state

Chris

Default Big thanks.

Got to give a big THANKS to Chris(Lola_T360).

I followed up his lead that Scott Ovel's Lola was Royal Blue like Lola's records indicated our car was delivered. I got a hold of Scott Ovel and he has confirmed that it is his old car. He also told me that he sold the car to Mike Wright so I can continue to piece the car's history together.
    Scott Hutchison
    1978 Lola T620 SV
    Land O'Lakes

Liked: 2

Default 620-HU 18

I have the ex Mike Yoder car. USAC # 2009 . The car only raced to the end of 1978 and the engine/box removed and pushed aside. Was in pretty sad shape and is s-l-o-w-l-y getting better.

Tony

Liked: 5

Default 1978 FSV Watkins Glen literature

Mark Penske, Do you still have the Glen literature- I would to buy those pertaining to the Wheelers- I own and race S/N 010. I sent an email to markpenske@aol.com but your address may have changed.

Thanx, Ted K. greyeagles@msn.com or 301 785 4032 or 610 847 5202

Thread Information