Liked: 7

Default Which TBs to use with S1000RR motor swap?

Just curious as I'm planning to make the swap to the BMW S1000RR motor, which throttlebodies do those that convert use when doing the swap? If I understand it correctly, the factory S1000RR throttlebodies are drive-by-wire over CAN.

Liked: 273

Has anyone made the BMW ECU 100% car friendly yet?
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Quote Originally Posted by ghickman View Post
    Has anyone made the BMW ECU 100% car friendly yet?
    I'll be running a MoTec M150. I'd love to use DBW through the factory throttlebodies, but I can't since they're operated over CAN that's a colossal pain.

So if you are running this car as a FB (which I assume you are) technically the Motec is not legal. If you are running at the back of the pack I doubt anyone will protest....but start kicking some ass and you'll be protested I can assure you of that.

I'd like to see open ecu in FB but that would take a rules change. We are also looking at getting slapped with restrictors soon so open ecu looks like a deadend.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

So if you are running this car as a FB (which I assume you are) technically the Motec is not legal. If you are running at the back of the pack I doubt anyone will protest....but start kicking some ass and you'll be protested I can assure you of that.

I'd like to see open ecu in FB but that would take a rules change. We are also looking at getting slapped with restrictors soon so open ecu looks like a deadend.
    For the time being the car will be developed during private track days, hopefully by the time I'm done with it then FB might allow open ECU.

Cool, at least you can give us all some feedback on how it runs.

One of these days we're going to run low on 07/08 Gixxer donor engines, maybe by the time the supply line thins out we will have open ECU. I'm not holding my breath though.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Cool, at least you can give us all some feedback on how it runs.

One of these days we're going to run low on 07/08 Gixxer donor engines, maybe by the time the supply line thins out we will have open ECU. I'm not holding my breath though.
    That was my main motivation for making the transition to a new engine, and while I'm at it I figured why not just do an open ECU as I'm becoming the main MoTec contact for our shop that's becoming a MoTec dealer at the moment. Right now I'm just trying to ascertain which throttle bodies will be best as the time and monetary investment to make the CAN based DBW throttle bodies is just too much for me monetarily as I'm working on a budget.

And I'll be updating my site with progress updates as I accrue more parts.

Liked: 126

It is corrupt and unacceptable when some people know of forthcoming likely rule changes while others don't. People like Maciej make significant monetary decisions based on the information available while the insiders horde that information. This rule-making model is unacceptable at the club level.

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    It is corrupt and unacceptable when some people know of forthcoming likely rule changes while others don't. People like Maciej make significant monetary decisions based on the information available while the insiders horde that information. This rule-making model is unacceptable at the club level.
    Rob, He knows nothing about the future FB rules. He is making his own decisions. I am certain that no one on the FB committee or on the FSRAC has had any contact with this person. Of course he can do anything he wants with his car.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 151

Default Which TBs to use with S1000RR motor swap?

Never change Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    I can't tell which side you think I reside on, however, I can assure you that I have no idea what future rules will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    Rob, He knows nothing about the future FB rules. He is making his own decisions. I am certain that no one on the FB committee or on the FSRAC has had any contact with this person. Of course he can do anything he wants with his car.
    Correct. I don't know many people in the community. This is just personal project as I rebuild my car.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Maciej View Post
    Just curious as I'm planning to make the swap to the BMW S1000RR motor, which throttlebodies do those that convert use when doing the swap? If I understand it correctly, the factory S1000RR throttlebodies are drive-by-wire over CAN.
    The BMW throttle bodies are actuated by a push pull cable. The cable is not directly coupled to the butterflies instead they actuate a position sensor and then a stepper motor drives the actual throttle. There is a throttle position sensor that can feed back to the ECU and if you internally couple the portion actuated by the cable to the stepper motor you are no longer throttle by wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Devins View Post
    The BMW throttle bodies are actuated by a push pull cable. The cable is not directly coupled to the butterflies instead they actuate a position sensor and then a stepper motor drives the actual throttle. There is a throttle position sensor that can feed back to the ECU and if you internally couple the portion actuated by the cable to the stepper motor you are no longer throttle by wire.
    Thank you!

Thread Information