Liked: 1

Default Newbie: Lola T440 in a box

I have just purchased a Lola T440 in a box. Heard about the car form my racing buddies and could not resist the challenge. It has now joined my little racing stable.

The Lola is completely dissasembled, in boxes but mostly complete. In the coming weeks I will bother you fine people with questions and advice.

My first ones, not necessarily in hirarchical order:

1.) Where can I get a nose for the Lola T440 ? Anyone have a one laying around ? My option is to fork some cash to TW-Mouldings in th UK and get killed in shipping.

2.) I need the two aluminum pillow blocks ? which hold the steering column to frame. They are missing. I could have them made but figure I ask.

3.) The plan is to ad two diagonal struts going forward from the aft roll hoop to stiffen and protect. The dashboard sits on a smaller steel frame. Does the dash also need a hoop per regulations ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks for now.

Gregor
    Last edited by Aeroyacht; 08.30.13 at 12:06 AM.

Liked: 123

I have a Lola T440, a spare body including a nose, and a machine shop. Feel free to PM me...

Brian

Liked: 127

Where in Long Island are you? I'm in Melville and my Crossle is out in Bay Shore, a decent amount of us FF guys local in the area if you ever need anything.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Hi Will:

I live in the Village of Poquott in East Setauket - maybe I can take a look at your Crossle.

What groups do you usually run with? VRG, FRCCA, SCCA ? It does get a bit confusing doesn't it?

Gregor

Liked: 157

Hi Gregor,

As Will said, there are quite a few FF guys here on Long Island that you can rely on to give you a hand with your Lola. I live in Holbrook and my sons are nearby too.

The T440 is popular and common enough that you shouldnt have to send overseas for parts nor should you need to have any missing parts custom made. Ask here first and usually someone will be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Do yourself a favor and take Brian up on his invitation to PM him, he could probably rebuild your Lola with his eyes closed, good guy to know.

Take care.

Tom

Liked: 123

Gregor, you have blocked PM's so I could not reply to your PM. I did send you an email to the address in your profile.

Brian

Thank You everyone for your responses. I have emailed Brian and am also in contact with Dani.

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroyacht View Post
    Hi Will:

I live in the Village of Poquott in East Setauket - maybe I can take a look at your Crossle.

What groups do you usually run with? VRG, FRCCA, SCCA ? It does get a bit confusing doesn't it?

Gregor
    I've been running SCCA Regionals, wish the car counts were better. Might try some of the other groups out there next season depending on scheduling.
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by Will Velkoff View Post
    I've been running SCCA Regionals, wish the car counts were better. Might try some of the other groups out there next season depending on scheduling.
    One of the guys in our group ran with FRCCA when he was out that direction and says they have a pretty good operation.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Yes, I talked to several of the FRCCA guys when I ran my 914 at Lightning - seemed nice. Next week I am heading over to Pocono to meet up with them, help out off track and re- check out their run groups.

Hope to meet Dani there who will show me hopefully a spare nose for my Lola.

Gregor

Liked: 18

Default Lola 440 Understeer

Aeroyacht; Be sure to ask Dani just what was done to her Lola 440 to get rid of the understeer these Lola's were so negitively know for. Hers' handles well!

Will certainly do, Thanks

In case anyone is interested. While the engine is being rebuilt by Midnight Auto the boys and myself have first assembled steering and suspension components to see what we are dealing with and which parys are missing. Now we stripped everything down again, and sanded and paited the chassis: http://lolat440.blogspot.com/

Liked: 8

Default Frame

I no longer have a car. Box in the top chassis rail to stiffen.

You can relocate the engine or keep the gearbox spacer.

I would focus on bracing the chassis, they are pretty flimsy if you ask me.

Liked: 25

Default Oil system

Hi,
    I can help with the oil system components including an original filter assembly, and could even provide all new lines and fittings if you want
    I currently have my T440 apart for resoration and have all of the lines set aside
    Let me know if you need anything

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, will get back to you once we are getting close to this stage.
    Gregor

Default WNATED: Bellhousing adapter

Guys

Between the 24 years my Lola T440 was last on the road and the dissasembly by my friend Bruce the bellhousing adapter walked. I am missing it.

What I basically need is any adapter that goes between a Hewland and a 1600 Ford engine.

If anyone knows of one lying around and/or for sale please let me know. You can email me privately as well (gt at aeroyacht dot com)

This week the car will be moved from my basement (need to dissasemble the suspension to get it out the door) to Mark Wehrman at Wehrman Engineering in Hauppauge NY, where I hope to complete the car.

Thanks

Gregor

Liked: 25

Default Adapter?

Hi Gregor,
    Just to clarify, are you looking for the aluminum adapter? You can buy a new one from Pegasus or a used one if someone has one lying around
    Be prepared to do some thread repair if you buy a used one

The T440 has the unique "Spacer" between the adapter and the gearbox, as a result the input shaft on the Hewland is longer

Some have eliminated the spacer and moved the engine back in the chassis

Just wanted to verify what you are looking for

Jeff

Default adapter

Thanks Jeff:

Yes, I have the spacer and need the part that joins the spacer to the engine. It is an aluminum casting.

G

Default spacer

Got it. I found a spacer. Thanks

Default Lola T440 Blog

In case anyone is interested you can see our progress on the Lola build here:

http://lolat440.blogspot.com/

The car is now at Mark Wehrman Engineering in Hauppauge NY and we are moving right ahead. Engine nearly finished, chassis pan is ready to install and rear suspension is all gone through and sorted. I feel like an apprentice under Mark and enjoying every minute of it. So much to learn...

Gregor

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Great build log, well done, you are getting there.
    Graham.

Thread Information