Liked: 308

Default New computer time

My current desktop is a Windows XP machine - it has served me well for over a decade. With Microsoft stopping support of XP in the very near future, it has become time to replace the antique.

My computer at work runs Windows 7 - I have not had any problems with it.
    Windows 8 is now on the market.

Any recommendations between 7 & 8 ????

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

Windows 7 runs like a dream. If you can find a windows 7 computer, definitely go for it, but I doubt you will be able to.

Windows 8 is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it does require some relearning of the operating system. For instance, good luck trying to figure out how to open the charms menu without using the windows hotkey. Also, good luck shutting down or restarting the computer without googling the answer.

Besides that, windows 8 boots very very quickly, has very good stability and runs just as good, if not better than windows 7. You can boot to the desktop mode to avoid the Windows Metro UI (all the little squares). The only thing that will be different is the new charms menu shortcuts (which I actually like better than the start menu) and the lack of a true start menu.

If you aren't completely useless and can google answers to common questions, you will have no trouble with windows 8.

Liked: 306

Or keep using XP which will probably continue to work for you just as well as a new operating system.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 98

I don't know if they sell desktops, but check out costco on line. I couldn't find any windows 7 laptops last summer at the big box stores, and was actually told that they were not allowed to sell any win7 machines now that win8 was on the market. But costco had them. Actually, they don't have them on a shelf, the machines are built when you order them. I got an Hp with a few upgrades from the base model and it is running win7.

Just got this in my email:
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...136207|1450957
    Last edited by 10rmotor; 02.21.14 at 10:57 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 473

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    My current desktop is a Windows XP machine - it has served me well for over a decade. With Microsoft stopping support of XP in the very near future, it has become time to replace the antique.

My computer at work runs Windows 7 - I have not had any problems with it.
    Windows 8 is now on the market.

Any recommendations between 7 & 8 ????
    Yes.

Avoid Windows 8.

Liked: 14

Default windows 7

I'd go with windows 7. Windows 8 was more designed for smart phones and tablets than a computer. In the fast evolving world of electronics, computers are already a starting to become something of the past. If your technology inclined it's cheapest to build your own computer. If your technology savvy, newegg.com is a cheap place for complete computers. And if you just want something to check apexspeed with, check out staples or best buy and they will set you up.

I have built a several computers, any questions don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Jon Updegrove
    Me_jeu@hotmail.com
    610-509-7321

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Numbskull XIV View Post
    I'd go with windows 7. Windows 8 was more designed for smart phones and tablets than a computer. In the fast evolving world of electronics, computers are already a starting to become something of the past. If your technology inclined it's cheapest to build your own computer. If your technology savvy, newegg.com is a cheap place for complete computers. And if you just want something to check apexspeed with, check out staples or best buy and they will set you up.

I have built a several computers, any questions don't hesitate to send me a pm.

Jon Updegrove
    Me_jeu@hotmail.com
    610-509-7321

I am running Windows 8.1 on several devices(tablet,plus laptops)..the desktop app on 8.1 is much like windows 7.You can use it as well as all the icons...I use a mix of both.My only suggestion if you go with Windows 8(free upgrade to 8.1) is get a laptop with a touch screen. It is much easier to wade thru screens and apps that way, A future release of Windows 8 will boot up to the desktop,instead of the icon screen...making it similar to windows 7, using a mouse or pointing device.

Liked: 1119

For Win8 and 8.1 check out an app called Pokki. It gives you back a useful "Start" button and can be set to boot to the Desktop, giving you an experience very much like Win7. I wound up trying it because it was offered when I installed "Dexpot", a utility which creates the multiple desktops I've come to cherish from the Linux world.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Liked: 447

Yep, the 8.1 update addresses some of the issues people who didn't use touch screens didn't like about 8. I'm running 8 on this PC and it runs great. It's stable and fast. You just need to get used to it. 8.1 you can easily find where to shut down and reboot and also set the default startup page as the desktop.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Old It Security guy here. Heavy on the old.
    If you are going to update go with 8. 8.1 will be updated in Mar, I believe. I have had no problem running apps from XP or 7. Some of the new Metro apps are interesting. If you can get a touch machine it definitely improves the user experience. Memory is cheap, so when you buy a machine, buy the biggest memory for each of the machine slots. Old guys always need more memory.
    Keeping XP is pretty scary in the long term. While you may be able to run AV programs they just wont be able to protect from the more sophisticated threats out there. Old tech vs new.

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by terryeaton View Post
    Old It Security guy here. Heavy on the old.
    If you are going to update go with 8. 8.1 will be updated in Mar, I believe. I have had no problem running apps from XP or 7. Some of the new Metro apps are interesting. If you can get a touch machine it definitely improves the user experience. Memory is cheap, so when you buy a machine, buy the biggest memory for each of the machine slots. Old guys always need more memory.
    Keeping XP is pretty scary in the long term. While you may be able to run AV programs they just wont be able to protect from the more sophisticated threats out there. Old tech vs new.
    Terry is so right. Microsoft will stop supporting XP this April. I bought my first state of the art, current laptop before XMAS.Oddly,the best price was neither on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. Saved $250 off of list. 8 gig of ram,expandable to 16 gig. just a 500 gig hard drive but also free skydrive...and best of all, an 8 gig SSID drive so that boot ups and shutdowns are instant!!

Finally,as I mentioned before........a touch screen with Windows 8.1. It has a flex screen so can be folded almost in half to watch SCCA video on Youtube......LOL.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Does AIM and GoPro work with 8 yet? I'm in the market for a new laptop which will most likely have 8 on it, and I assume both AIM and GoPro will have software ready for it this summer (if they don't already).

Liked: 447

AIM does. I don't use a GoPro so I can't confirm. 8 and 8.1 is on the same core as Vista and 7 so for the most part if it works on that, it will on 8.
    2003 VanDiemen FSCCA #29
    Follow me on Twitter @KeithCarter74

Liked: 0

Windows 8 is fine. There is definitely more of a learning curve than previous updates, but not much of a reason to avoid it unless you really don't like change.

Gopro works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jeffords View Post
    Does AIM and GoPro work with 8 yet? I'm in the market for a new laptop which will most likely have 8 on it, and I assume both AIM and GoPro will have software ready for it this summer (if they don't already).
    AIM is fine on several flavors of 7, 8, and 8.1.

Be sure to delete your old AIM USB drivers when doing a new install or update, however.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Liked: 804

Default windows 8 + Pi ?

Anyone have any specific problems running Pi Toolbox on 8 or 8.1?

Liked: 1886

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    For Win8 and 8.1 check out an app called Pokki. It gives you back a useful "Start" button and can be set to boot to the Desktop, giving you an experience very much like Win7. I wound up trying it because it was offered when I installed "Dexpot", a utility which creates the multiple desktops I've come to cherish from the Linux world.

You can also download (free) "Classic Shell", which gives you the traditional XP-type desktop.

Liked: 0

Windows 8 and Pi get along well. Only issues may be drivers for your dash. I know the ICD works, but can't speak for other models.

Liked: 804

thx Alex, my struggle was just getting the s/w into the laptop. Cosworth told me by phone to stick with XP, maybe I need to talk to a different rep :-)

Liked: 3

What are your thoughts re a Windows Surface Tablet for track side data downloading and review with the AIM system?

Quote Originally Posted by BC View Post
    What are your thoughts re a Windows Surface Tablet for track side data downloading and review with the AIM system?
    Haven't tried it. Don't see why there should be a problem with software. Only question is how the display looks in bright sunlight.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

If you are thinking Surface, I personally would go with the Pro version.

Liked: 3

Thanks. I am need a new laptop and was thinking the small size of the surface would be easy to pack and good on plane. I will check out the pro.

Liked: 956

Default Someone was listening...

HP is offering a few laptops with Win 7.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/hom...136207|1451166
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information