Contributing Member phantomjock's Avatar
    Liked: 105

Default SCCA License Application -- woes

I am writing to seek advice as to my next step in securing my license. I have made several attempts to contact SCCA HQ via email - and get no response. I am currently away from the US. Email is my primary means of communication, as the 12 hour lag makes for a challenge with the phone.

I am a Skip Barber Graduate, having completed both the 3 Day (Basic) and the 2 Day (Advanced) courses. I have my SCCA Certificate of Compliance, and a current Physical. I called the home office on 5 December and a kind person at SCCA directed me to contact the SouthEast Division (Area 3) Director of Racing, Mr Peter Magnuson. I forwarded my materials to him electronically. He was quite helpful and immediately contacted Topeka recommending approval of my application.
    5 Dec 13: I forwarded all the necessary paperwork (electronically and hard copy) to the National Office, included my CC details, Member Number, and waited.

6 Dec 13: I got an email response saying it would be several business days for my application to be processed.

12 Dec 13: I got the invoice for charges on my CC for my Full Competition License. I have yet to receive it.

29 Jan 14: I contacted National and again forwarded my entire package electronically, with previous correspondence attached. I have yet to get a reply or acknowledgement of my email.

19 Feb 14: I again emailed the home office and no response.
    Yes, the SCCA address is one of my contacts, so not in Junk, Spam, or Deleted. My mail forwarding service has yet to get any materials from SCCA, save the 70th Anniversary Issue of SportsCar and the 2014 Calendar.

I am willing to make adjustments, by region, payment, or whatever is required. My home of record is Fort Walton Beach, FL, and the local region is the Gulf Coast Region, but is primarily AX activity. I wish to participate in SEDIV racing.

If there is some sort of administrative error on my part, can someone please help me understand what is required to fix it. Is my email being blocked (currently in Southeast Asia)? Have they stopped using email? Is the office on vacation? Is the license lost in the mail?

What is my next step? Please advise here or by PM.
    Sorry, hope I'm not whingeing/whining, even though it is my first posting.

Thanks. Jim

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Jim

It sounds like you did everything that you were supposed to do but somehow your application / license has gotten off track.

If you will send me a PM or email (Area2Director at rcn.com) with your full name and SCCA member number, I will follow-up with Member Services to determine your license status.

One immediate thought that I had was that your license was (will be) mailed and if you have a SE Asia mail address, there may be a problem.

BTW your account is not set up to receive PMs

Terry Hanushek
    Director, Area 2

Thanks for that very kind offer to help!
    My Member Number is now posted on my profile page, and fixed the PM access too. Doubled up with a direct contact at rcn.com too.

My mail is forwarded via USPS to the FL Keys and "bundled" there and sent in packets, so no address conflicts. Touch wood - its a service we've used extensively while cruising since '96.

Thanks again.

Liked: 11

Default Sometimes picking up the phone is best!

My Son is participating in the Double Drivers School this weekend at Roebling Rd.

We completed all of the necessary Medical & Novice Permit paperwork about 3 weeks ago & inevitably there were " T's" that were not crossed & " I's " that were not dotted.

Our solution was not to send multiple e-mails, but to simply pick up the phone.

I'd like to say Kathy in SCCA Member Services could not be more helpful. We explained our urgency and she shipped my Son's Novice Permit promptly and provided tracking numbers.

I can certainly understand your frustration, but a 2 minute phone call may have saved you time & those countless e-mails.
    Working hard to enhance my Carbon Fiber footprint....
    2011 Stohr F1000
    www.Area81Racing.com

Contributing Member flat tappet's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Kathy in Member Services is a treasure..and has helped me in the past.Great advice!!

Liked: 228

Agreed - Kathy is always a pleasure to deal with.

Cory

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Jim

I talked with Kathy Cowen in Member Services this AM. She is going to mail replacement cards to both your home address and service address, It appears like your original card got caught in the mail forwarding pipeline.

Another thing that you (or any member) can do is to verify your membership or license status is to view your 'account' on the SCCA web site. It is very easy to do:
    1. Go to www.scca.com
    2. Click on the green Member Login button in the upper right hand corner
    3. Enter your member number and password. (If you have never logged on, you can click on For Instructions Click Here to get detailed instructions)
    4. From your Contact Info page, pull down the My Info tab in the upper left corner and click on My Membership - this will display your complete membership and license status.
    Good luck with your racing this year

See ya at the races

Terry

Default Hats Off to TERRY! Thanks Heaps.

First - Thanks Heaps for your help and support.
    Second - Kathy is great to work with. Spoke with her several times before leaving the USA.

The remote island we are on in Malaysia has marginal cell phone coverage. Even the WIFI is "spotty" but serves as the main form of communication (or HF Radio).

I've got to get this boat back into the water so I can get back to the USA and racing.

Thanks again and Cheers - Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information