Thread: Hoosier tires

Liked: 27

Default Hoosier tires

My local tire shop was having a sale so I figured a new set of tires for the Swift was in order. It was suggested to run the R35 compound. However when I went to order them they told me Hoosier discontinued the 35s only the 25's are available (in FA sizes). Anybody know the scoop?
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 2

Even when they had 35s , I don't know anyone that ran them. I always thought on super hot days 80-90 run the 35 , in the morning when cooler run the 25 but the answer I got was no. Anyway it did make sense so it sounds like now you have no choice ?. That being said call the various Hoosier dealer in the east and see what they have . Phils tire service or mid atlantic tire. If your trying to get more heat cycles out of them that makes sense. Will it work I don't know.
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 0

Default R-35

For what its worth I always ran 35's unless it was below 60 degrees. they just took longer to come in and below 50 they were very difficult. I think they were actually faster over a race distance than the 25's sorry if that is true that Hoosier has stopped making them.
    Shelton
    Shelton

Liked: 5

Default Compounds

Out here in So Cal 25s turn to grease in about 4 laps when the temp is mid 80s or above.
    35s perform much better over a race distance, produce faster lap times when up to temp and last a lot longer. Hoosier would be out to lunch if they drop the 35 and only offer the 25 compound.
    I ran my FF all of 2013 and the DB4 sat in the shop so I haven't tried to buy any tires since mid 2012. I plan to start running the Atlantic again so I sure hope Hoosier is still making the 35s.
    Steve O'Hara

Liked: 4

I like the 35's in most conditions. They always felt quicker to respond than the 25's and the input back through the steering wheel was always better to me.

I finally got around to calling Hooseir Tire and what I was told is this.
    The 35 compound is available in the taller size- 24.5x13.75(43586FA) , not the shorter size 23.5 x13.0 (43585). The fronts are now 43571 in 25 OR 35 compound.

So now I ask what would it take to put the taller tire on my car ? Or would it change the suspension geometry too much to simply lower it down ? I realize a complete alin would be in order. Thanks , Pops

Liked: 5

Guys,

I talked to Hoosier today and confirmed that they have no plans to discontinue the R35 compound on the tires I use on my Swift DB4.

I use 23.0 x 12.0 - 13" C3000 R35A compound Bias Ply rears (43319)
    and 20.0 x 9.0 - 13" C2500 R35A compound Bias Ply fronts (43186)

They are working on some construction detail changes that will not effect the dimensions or the compound. The new versions will be introduced as the inventory of the current version is used up.

If you have a 13" wheel car and run bias ply tires all is good. We talked briefly about the changes going on with the radial tires for 15" wheels but I didn't take notes as I don't have any cars that use those tires. There were several changes mentioned so if you have the newer chassis you may want to talk with the folks at Hoosier to get the straight scoop.
    Steve O'Hara

Liked: 2

When I switched to the taller latest spec "FA" tire the ride hgt obviously was reset. The ride height changes some thing like .40 inches if I recall.

What I did notice was fairly significant change in half shaft angle.

Take a look at your half shaft angles and be sure your performing service of the tripods a bit more often. Look for any tunnel interference etc. . That's about it.

I was last guy in my run group in the Swifts to change. Overall I would say they are more durable.

my .02
    Ed
    "The visibility at the best of times is liable to be a bit hazy due to clouds of ignorance"... Carroll Smith

Liked: 24

So now the tough question how long can you keep a new set in bags and controlled storage....before they become bricks and uselessa

I'll let you know ! I have a set of 25's been in my basement for almost a year and I'm going to use them at Homestead in early March.. BTW, I should have posted at the beginning of this thread that I am running 15 in radials. My bad. Pops

Thread Information