Liked: 0

Default Getting Started in Formula Vee/Formula 500 in California?

Hello and Happy New Year!

I am intrigued with formula racing and would like to pursue a hobby racing formula cars. From what I know as of now, Formula Vee and Formula 500 seem to be the most economical ways to get into wheel-to-wheel formula racing. Realistically, I'm looking at no more than 5 races a year, and probably more like 2. I am located in San Francisco. I have one open track day under my belt. My series of questions are below:

1. Between Formula 500 and Formula Vee, which will co$t me less?
    (I'm presuming F-500.)

2. Is there a Formula 500 presence in California?
    (From what I've read, it seems a bit more popular in the central and eastern states.)

3. What type of open-wheel racing license will I need for F-500 and what type of license will I need for F-Vee?

4. What classes in both SCCA and non-SCCA events can I race F500 and F-Vee in?

5. Is there a racing presence for F-500 and F-Vee in California in a racing sanction outside of the SCCA?
    (I would like to enter the sport as inexpensively as possible and from what I think I know, other racing sanctions' licenses cost a fair amount less to obtain.)

6. Track days: which organizations can I run with in a formula car?

Thanks!

Liked: 14

I am partial to F500 because that is the class I run in now. For the price and performance probably best you can do. Check out the following for more info on F500. www.formula500.org and www.F500.us. Many in the class are on these sites too and can help with questions.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

F500 , Doesn't cost much to run , don't know about fv. Now days the biggest cost is entry fees. There are only a couple of guys running f5 in SF, I'm going to run my 600, but only in a couple of races, I am going to concentrate on my sprint car you can win MONEY with it . You will need a SCCA comp. lic. to run in both classes. I don't think you can run a formula car in any of the other clubs. In SF you will run in group 4 and you will have FUN, there are a # of club fords, F F's and V's If you are looking for a F5 car PM me I'll give you some local #s to people who have some.

Liked: 2

Basically the F5 is a 2 car field and one only runs national or now majors, but he is very fast. He runs in front with the FF field. The other either runs with the front FV field or better. If you want competition in class your best bet is FV. I know of many cars you can rent, but you will have to get in soon, they are being reserved, because many are being promised to those that plan to run at Laguna. The Runoffs are being held there this year. If you are interested you can PM me and I can discuss your needs. I know I can get you in touch with someone in either class.

By the way, if you want to discuss this with the SF Region members, you should go to
    http://norcalfv.proboards.com/index.cgi
    This is the board dedicated to your specific run group in the SF Region. Just sign up and I can authorize you.

Bruce

Liked: 4

Default What to do?

Just a consideration. The Vintage organizations in CA (VARA) and the such have good FV turnouts at their races. Their entry fees are somewhat lower than SCCA (I think). Call me if you have any questions.

joe

Quote Originally Posted by joefuhring View Post
    Just a consideration. The Vintage organizations in CA (VARA) and the such have good FV turnouts at their races. Their entry fees are somewhat lower than SCCA (I think). Call me if you have any questions.

joe

Is a SCCA license required for VARA?

I'm pursuing a rather costly license for another hobby this year and spending the money on a SCCA license as well this year can't happen. Maybe I've got the number wrong, but from the schools I've looked at, it'll run roughly $5000 to obtain a SCCA license. Someone please prove me wrong!

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by tom415 View Post
    ...... it'll run roughly $5000 to obtain a SCCA license. Someone please prove me wrong!
    That is correct unless you can find a way to take two SCCA school weekends within one year. Shockingly difficult to do in some areas.

Your best bet is to contact the SF region and find out how many and where they run drivers schools during the year. Last I heard they were pretty close to becoming like the Northwest Region here in Seattle and having ZERO schools per year.

There is another alternative. A club like VARA probably has it's own licensing program that is actually less costly then your typical SCCA school. And they probably have reciprocal license recognition with the SCCA.

Check out the above alternatives before assuming you have to pay a for profit school to learn race craft.

If you were here in the Northwest you could spend one evening and one weekend in school for about $350 (in your daily driver) and have a novice license to run in ICSCC. Complete three race weekends under observation and instruction and be qualified as an area driver and for a reciprocal SCCA regional license.

ICSCC:
    http://www.icscc.com/
    Last edited by rickb99; 01.03.14 at 7:45 AM.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 91

The GCR has changed this year to only require you to attend one SCCA school. So, no, it would not be $5000. I think a typical SCCA school fee is $5-600 plus your usual race weekend cost of car, equipment, tires, gas, etc. There will be one at Buttonwillow on 2/7, one at Thunderhill on 2/21. and one at Portland on 3/22. You will have to apply for a novice permit before you attend.
    Last edited by GAC; 01.05.14 at 1:49 AM.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1498

Getting a license in VARA is relatively pain-free, our big driver's school weekend is in a couple of weeks at Buttonwillow.

Cal Club at least has reciprocal licensing with VARA.

Liked: 29

Default Easier

look at the VARA Rules ......vararacing.com and also "Coming race dates"
    Look at Part 1 of the Rule Book.....it's all outlined there. UofV once a year in January at Buttonwillow Raceway park. You can use a race car or street car for the School and it counts toward your license. Also is rental cars from Danny McKeever (arrive and drive). This year its next week....Jan 10-11. $375 (I believe) for the weekend.
    reciprocity to Cal-Club

Liked: 2

A little advise, come to a race and talk to those in the class you are interested. You can find the schedule for your nearest region here www.sfrscca.org

Thanks for all the responses!

I have been busy with another hobby the last several months and the nature of it will require me to devote much of my free time to it until about summer time.

That said, it seems as if most SCCA schools within the CA region offer their schooling in Spring. I'd be open to the idea of taking a driving course in the summer/fall, but it looks like that won't be an option. Is there a school that offers basic SCCA instruction year round?

If indeed I will have to wait until this time next year to take driving instruction, I suppose I'll set up a car in the mean time in summer/fall this year.

Thread Information