Liked: 80

Default Recommended Trailer Brands?

All -

Thought I'd get some general thoughts from the community in regards to the various trailer makes/models out there. I'm tossing around the idea of getting a larger trailer to replace my 28' Pace, and am looking at different makes out there. When I look at RacingJunk.com for ads, I see a lot out there.

I've been extremely happy with the quality of my Pace trailers over the years. So, I was curious, what other makes out there are similar in terms of quality, that I might also look at when looking for a used trailer deal?

For example:
    - Haulmark?
    - Millenium?
    - Renegate?
    - ATC?
    - T&E?

For reference, I'm thinking about 40-45' goose for carrying 2 formula cars and assoc. crap. ;-)

-Jake

Liked: 11

Default Trailers

Jake,
    The trailer industry has changed a lot since the economic downturn of 08-09.

Pace as you know it has gone by the wayside having shut its doors in 2010 w/ it's assets being bought by a group led by the sons of the founders of Haulmark who own Look Trailer. They have relaunched the Pace name, but as a much lower quality piece.

Universal Trailer Corp is he behemoth of the industry owning Haulmark, Wells Cargo, Featherlite, and Exxis. Featherlite and Exxis are of course aluminum units, where Wells Cargo has always been more commercial focused, but has historically built a very stout trailer.

The other BIG industry holding company is Forest River. They own a bunch of different brands (many of which are regional only) and often compete on price not quality. This includes Continental Cargo, US Cargo, and CargoMate among others.

United Trailer is another common one you will see. I have always like the asthetics of their trailers and IMHO their quality has always been a step above a Haulmark or Continental, but a step below an old Pace Pursuit or Shadow GT.

Renegade units often use FRP (fiberglass reinforced ply-wood) for sidewalls and built to go behind their toter or motorhomes. They tend to be very heavy and gain weight over time; as the FRP will absorb water like a sponge over time.

ATC/Motiv builds a very nice trailer. ATC is the Aluminum Trailer Company, which you guessed it builds aluminum framed trailers, but Motiv is their conventional steel framed model line.

If you had your heart set on aluminum I would also look at InTech. They will not be the cheapest, but they are ex-ATC guys building some very nice stuff from what I have seen.

Lastly, if you like your ol' Pace the core team is now operating under the name Bravo Trailer. Since launching in 2011 they have gone back to the original Pace philosophy of building the highest quality trailers around, w/ racer designed features. Yes, I have a hint of bias knowing all the key players, but I also know that they are out supporting SCCA racing and building the trailers a racer wants not a landscaper. If anyone saw their display at PRI you would have seen some really high quality units.

If I were shopping right now for a steel framed trailer my number one choice would be a Bravo, followed by a Motiv. Both brands, as well as most mentioned above are built in the Elkhart, IN area.
    Peter Calhoun
    Motorsport Manager- Michelin North America, Inc.
    Swift DB1-86 FF1600 (bye-bye 3.12)
    2009-10 SCCA CM National Champions

Liked: 384

Complete trailers.
    Colorado.
    Fully aluminum.
    Bar none.
    check my earlier post with pics of my new one.
    cheers.
    Maris Kazia ,CEO
    EuroKraft Inc Racing
    Circuito do Sol
    2014 Radical SR 3 RSX, 2x Tatuus FA 01
    BMW HP2 .BMW K1200 R.Porsche 996 Carerra 4s

Banned
    Liked: 1116

I think it's imporant to know what Pace model you are currently happy with as the build quality from one model to the next varies quite a bit. A Chevy Colorado is not a 3500HD Duramax.

Some give you good value and quality, some where cheaply made pieces of crap with an upcharge for the entry level trailer because of the Pace sticker on the side.

Liked: 80

Peter -

Thanks for your reply, as always.

My situation is that I'll doubtless be looking for whatever happens to come up on the used market (read: racingjunk.com), so I'm happy to cast a wide net on what makes/models to be aware of, even if not some of the most recognizable names.

Cheers,

-Jake

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 5

Default Trailer

Jake,

IMHO, TPD is the choice.

http://www.tpdtrailers.com/

D. Jansen
    Last edited by RPMS Motorsports; 12.28.13 at 8:46 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar!!

Liked: 2

Just an option, but I know Stan Townes is selling his trailer rig. You might want to call him.

Liked: 958

+1 for TPD. They are light but very strong.

Below is an example of a stacker
    http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/rvs/4204766395.html

Gooseneck
    http://www.racingjunk.com/Used-Trail...k-trailer.html
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    My situation is that I'll doubtless be looking for whatever happens to come up on the used market (read: racingjunk.com), so I'm happy to cast a wide net on what makes/models to be aware of, even if not some of the most recognizable names.
    In that case look at the frame and how the tongue ties in with the remainder of the trailer. What materials are utilized for the frame? How close are the floor joists? What type of axles? Trailer tires? Brakes on all axles or just some? Wall joists, how far apart and of what material? Flooring, what type of wood and how thick? Look at how the wiring is routed from the front to the rear of the trailer---cutting torch holes burned through floor joists indicates that corners were cut on the production line everywhere they could.

Classifieds Super License Rick Iverson's Avatar
    Liked: 649

Quote Originally Posted by PCalhoun View Post
    .....Pace as you know it has gone by the wayside having shut its doors in 2010 w/ it's assets being bought by a group led by the sons of the founders of Haulmark who own Look Trailer. They have relaunched the Pace name, but as a much lower quality piece.
    I had no idea Pace went tango uniform. What a shame. I had a Pace American Shadow GT, and thought it was simply the best.

V/r

Iverson

Liked: 12

+ 2 for TPD.

Thread Information