Thread: FI on a pinto

Liked: 2

Default FI on a pinto

Just a dum question i would like to know what ya all think about putting a fuel injection kit on a pinto , would it help the pinto guys keep up with the zetech

Liked: 1403

The top level Pintos have a HP edge o on the Zetec now. But the variation of the Pintos below that top level is much greater than the Zetec. Most all Zetecs are equal to the very best Pintos.

In short the Pinto problem is not that it can not make enough HP. The biggest issue is the weight and CG of the Pinto vs. the Zetec engines. The weight difference is difficult to compensate for.

If you want to equalize the performance, you should look masking the Zetecs carry sufficient weight on top of the valve cover so that the weight and CG of the 2 engines are equal. Or find a source for aluminum heads for the Pinto.

I think it is best to leave sleeping dogs lay.

Liked: 2

Im no export but the zetec has much better torque than the pinto so ive been told if so wouldnt fi help torque out of the corners and still have the same hp on the top end

Liked: 11

Since FI is not legal in FC anyhow, you might as well just cut the head, put a high lift/duration cam in plop on a set of weber 45's and manifold and then you will have enough power to start breaking your transmission.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

The easiest EFI kits to adapt are the ones the buggy guys use - basically a IDA or IDF compatible throttle body that hosts the injectors.

The aluminum head is available but kind of pricey - I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    If you want to equalize the performance, you should look masking the Zetecs carry sufficient weight on top of the valve cover so that the weight and CG of the 2 engines are equal. Or find a source for aluminum heads for the Pinto.
    Fast Forward sells aluminum Pinto heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    The aluminum head is available but kind of pricey - I'm surprised it isn't more popular.
    One is getting a brand new aluminum head versus a used iron one. If one could buy "new" iron heads they'd cost just as much once fully race prepared. And the aluminum head isn't more popular because the iron-head Pinto guys arranged the rules to ensure the aluminum head was at a disadvantage.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 126

Can't run the new cam in the alum head rule.

Liked: 1403

Maybe a better option might be to remove the penalty for using the aluminum head.

That might do more to balance the performance between the 2 engine options, Zetec vs. Pinto.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    Can't run the new cam in the alum head rule.
    And as a result they are several hp down to the best iron heads.

The aluminum head Pintos make great FS engines, tho! Doug says the Australian rally guys are getting 230+ hp with big roller cams and SBC valves.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by S Lathrop View Post
    Maybe a better option might be to remove the penalty for using the aluminum head.

That might do more to balance the performance between the 2 engine options, Zetec vs. Pinto.
    Good idea, Steve. I just wrote the CRB to suggest allowing the alternate cam with the alum heads.

If anybody else supports this idea I encourage you to jot them a quick not at the link above. If you DON'T support it, please keep that opinion to yourself...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 126

Me too Stan.

Liked: 97

Default More Pinto thoughts

Rather than than suggest an expensive aluminum head/cam version of equalization, for that much money one could come up with an appropriate rod length and piston combo that would allow the Pinto to live longer between rebuilds, as does the Zetec. The other thing is you could bring the weight of the Pinto powered cars back to what it was and always should have stayed. 1150 I think in 1985 when I bought my 1984 Reynard from Rick Gorne. The pinto cars are budget limited. Those with more money already have the Zetec.
    Skip Weld
    2 pinto powered Van Diemens for rent!!

Liked: 3322

Default Minimum weight

The lowest minimum I remember was 1170 around 1988.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1493

The 5.7" rods have been discussed many, many times on this forum. Last time the thought came through a few years back there was an opinion from someone that it really wouldn't do much for the motor. I wonder if Art smith has looked at that particular issue?

But if the weight goes back to 1170 I'll need the Al head to even begin to get close, and the car is ~980 with no fuel (95 VD FC).

Car already has small battery (although not a braille or some LiPo gadget) 1/8 AL floor, pretty new (e.g. no bondo or tons of paint) bodywork, aluminum radiators, ICPs, lightened flywheel.

If I worked real hard I could find another couple pounds before forced to go to even lighter battery , AL head, and aluminum CVs. At that point I'd have to look at paper thin bodywork.

Yeah, it's cheaper to take 20lbs off my a$$ (but much more difficult)

Liked: 40

Default How much HP and

is the HP difference related only to the camshaft? With a 20LB difference in weight between the two and the weight being so high in the chassis, would the aluminum head have the advantage on short twisty tracks (Blackhawk - Waterford hills) and loose out on longer tracks (RA - BIR)?
    I would rather be making racing news than reading it. Living the dream out here in the middle of farm country

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I'm thinking. More hp & less weight is advantageous everywhere....
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 27

I'm told the new cam is worth 5 hp.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 1432

Sooooo.....you want aluminum heads, lighter pistons and rods, and fuel injection? Aren't you just taking a more expensive and complex route to make a better engine? I think that option already exists....it's called a Zetec.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

Well, Reid, you've got a point there The upgrades to Pintos don't require chassis mods, etc. & some of us just have an affinity to old iron
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Thread Information