Liked: 5

Default Pocono for Formula Car?

What is Pocono like for running a formula car. I saw on Pocono's website that they have done some work on the infield and have multiple road coarse setups. Are they formula car friendly? Is it a fun track to drive?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 18

Default Pocono trackS

The new management at Pocono seems to be trying to help Club racers while keeping NASCAR happy. I think the SCCA uses the combined racecircuit ONLY. The FRCCA and other clubs use the optional layouts and the S-E layout is fun. When using the S-E layout for formula racecars the FRCCA went CCW and turned into the infield at the end of NASCAR turn one, the track lenght was just under 2 miles and there were at least three overtaken areas. BUT the paddock/pit areas need improvement.

Liked: 5

This would be for the SCCA regional in Aug-Sept time frame. Does anyone know what course layout they use?
    Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Chris

This would be for the SCCA regional in Aug-Sept time frame. Does anyone know what course layout they use?
    The current plans call for the use of double (North & South) infield course.

Terry

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hanushek View Post
    Chris

The current plans call for the use of double (North & South) infield course.

Terry
    This configuration when run clockwise, is one of my favorite race tracks, certainly the best of the Pocono configurations. In the past, the off-track dangers (run off areas, flag station locations, etc) were a concern but the track itself was great for racing.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Greg

This configuration when run clockwise, is one of my favorite race tracks, certainly the best of the Pocono configurations. In the past, the off-track dangers (run off areas, flag station locations, etc) were a concern but the track itself was great for racing.
    The combined course is run clockwise. The reverse direction has a couple of dodgy aspects so I don't anticipate it being used. Most of the off-track concerns were eliminated or mitigated prior to our 2013 track inspection. As I understand, some further improvements to the track surface will be made over the winter.

Terry

Contributing Member
    Liked: 102

They run a few different South Infield configurations. I did one in a tin top that used a new section (done in the repave) that went around the triangle. It sucked. It was changed to straight across the South Infield and that was better, but the camber and elevation changes made it interesting.

Liked: 49

I ran the National there at the end of the summer in my FM. The new track surface is a huge improvement, and the combined course has some fun aspects. But... there is still a HUGE bump coming back onto the track out of the infield. Enough to bottom out any formula car. And you are headed straight at the wall when making that turn/hitting that bump so a bit disconcerting. If they can get this fixed, I'd go back again.

Liked: 9

I ran the track in May in my FV. Same issue with the transition on the back stretch. I actually spun in my second race after hitting this bump. If they smooth out that transition, the track will be very good. They have put a lot of $$ into improvements.

Thread Information