Liked: 12

Default Just thinking out loud . . .

After reading the posts on the Disc Brake issue, I have a few questions, but mostly, I'm just wondering out loud.

- Why does there have to be such a wide difference between the classes?
    There seems to be an underlying prevailing sentiment that if Formula First has done it, then Formula Vee should not, or cannot, do it. So what if both classes use ball joint beams and disc brakes? Or even steering racks for that matter?

- For those supporting ball joint front ends with disc brakes, what would you propose to do with the shock towers / shock configuration with the ball joint front end?

- What wheel/tire would be used?
    Over the years, the wide 5 wheels have been saved, but with no use for the 4 bolts, has anyone concerned themselves with salvaging the 4 bolt stock steel wheels? Straight wheels are at a premium now. What would it be like if everybody suddenly changed over to 4 bolts? Would there be a wheel shortage if stock steel wheels were required? If you are looking to appeal to new, younger drivers, then aftermarket wheels would make the cars a little more attractive, better for appealing to a new generation. The first thing any kid does to their street car is put on aftermarket wheels. I would certainly think that the 13 x 6 First wheels would never be used for FV. The Aussies use 15” x 6” wheels. I’ve only seen 15” aftermarket wheels available as narrow as a 5” width. Would the current race tires be compatible with a 5” wide wheel? Or would another tire also have to be used?

- What is everybody’s vision for FV?
    When my sons started to look beyond karting, we first came to the races to investigate the F500’s. It was only after watching the Vee's running in 10+ car packs, and drafting throughout the race that they thought the Vee drivers looked like they were having more fun. That’s the appeal of FV. Someone mentioned that “As for making the class attractive to 16 year olds, that boat has sailed a long time ago”. Is the purpose of the class to survive only until the current group of drivers has grown too old to drive, or do we actually want to draw in new drivers? That would seem to be the real question here. The issue appears to quickly expand well beyond the disc brake question alone.

Any thoughts?

Sorry everyone. Long time listener, first time caller. This was obviously supposed to be on the Disc Brake thread.
    Last edited by Michael_Clark; 11.01.13 at 5:27 AM.

Liked: 174

Mike,

NOW that you've purchased my P-1. I expect you to uphold the old man vs. young up and comers and whoop your son once you get your regional license. The car has the speed now
    that you have a new engine so we +50 yr. olds are counting on you!

Mark

88' Citation
    02' Citation

Liked: 49

Howdy Mike - cip1 (and others, I'm sure..) sell brand new Chinese sourced 15x4.5 wheels in both wide 5 and 4 bolt configurations.. I believe they are harder to mount our tires on, but I've seen them used in quite a few cars.. They're relatively affordable, around $50 each if I remember right. Considering there's no need to sandblast, file, paint, etc it's pretty good value.

I agree with you on the first point - I don't think there has to be a separation between the classes at all. They are different and exist in their own right, each class has the right to change (or not) in it's own direction and pace, wherever that may lead. Obviously that easier for us to say given we're part of the bigger class and there's little chance FV would be axed as a class for being too similar to FST. Not sure about the other way around, but again - that should be neither a concern, nor a target.

Lastly, my vision for FV is as described in the GCR! A class where the costs are low and the focus is on driver skill. Close racing in big packs is where the fun is, I am in favour of anything that I feel can contribute to that

Liked: 16

The committee proposed that a 4 bolt wheel be used. Aftermarket or stock. With a specified minimum weight and size.

The shock towers are a little trickier. Personally, I believe a minimum shock height would be good, with a freer design of that that shock tower looks like. Others believe we should allow whatever shock height, as long as it remains outboard or within a certain plane. I think that one is still very much open for debate. The advantage to making it more open, is guys with Link Pin beams can simply cut off their towers and bolt on newer lower adapters, like the SR site has for FST.

Speaking for myself, I would like to see us work towards a plan that unifies FST and FV in the next 5 years or so. However, it would need to be done in such a way that cars are not obsolete as a result. I think that can be done. Both sides will need to give and take though. I think this will happen some day. Just not sure when.

Thread Information