Thread: F3 to FA

Liked: 0

Default F3 to FA

Hypothetically speaking of course i am curious since there are no newer FA's being produced. If someone were to find a Dallara F312 or 08/11 and import it and money was not an object, could you convert it to FA specs (toyota motor, wheel size, tunnels etc) and who in the US that has a good Rep could do it or would do it.

Liked: 1403

This would be an interesting project. But you would really need to do your home work. Getting the aero package right for a good car will take some expertise. Also the mechanical changes will be much more extensive than just changing wheel sizes, you may need all new control arms. You might end up with a F3 chassis and suspension from the Indy lights car.

I expect that changing engines will be the easy part of the conversion.

My suggestion would be to go with Dallara and talk to the Dallara people in Indy.

Liked: 14

Before I did any of that I would contact Alex Wolford of Wolfden Composites and ask about having him build me a brand new Ralt RT41 tub. Its what I would be doing if the pro atlantic series proved as competitive as the 2 liter version and a client wanted to run the series.
    Kevin Firlein Autosport,Inc.
    Runoffs 1 Gold 3 Silver 3 bronze, 8 Divisional , 6 Regional Champs , 3x Drivers of the year awards

Thanks guys, I looked around to see if new tubs could be built and haven't found anything on the net. From what i had gathered was that older FA cars more than likely had there tubs repaired and patched, which, accumitively added weight to them through out their history. I was just interested to see if there were other options to newer chassis much like some did with the FB cars being converted from older classes of cars.
    It will be interesting to see if the pro series takes off and invigorates FA again, be a shame to see it relegated to historic racing.

Liked: 101

Hey Blew,

If you homologated a current F3 car in FS, later you could apply for a line spec inclusion in FA...similar to the 016 and Pro Mazda inclusions.

That would save having to completely re-engineer the car for tunnels, bigger wheels/ rates , aero etc. I believe current F3 aero with flat bottom is as good as FA tunnel aero/ downforce.

Comp adjustments might have to be made with a SIR on the airhorn, but plenty of guys know the equivalency.

Food for thought,
    Bill

Thanks for the information bill, i see the Formula 3 is in the engine table for i believe the volkswagon 1600. The F312 dallara for example is BMW engine or Volkswagon, but i believe they are bigger than what is allowed in the table, same for the F308/311 which is a Honda. FS most likely would be the way to go if i was going that route.

In talking to a couple other people, i was told that the older cars such as the Ralt RT41 and the swift cars could be rebuilt as new even with new tubs possibly if they needed it. I couldnt find much information as far as rebuilding cars, so i was looking at other options if i were to go the FA route.

Liked: 101

The 40 and 41 are both fine cars, but the problem goes far beyond the tub and bodywork. The real problem is with uprights, rockers, bellhousing , adequate gearbox, fitment bits, mounts , etc.

You are correct that the CURRENT FA table doesn't provide for any of the modern F3/ engine combinations, that's why I mentioned applying for line spec acceptance of a current car, with possible future competition adjustments. YMMV.

Bill

Liked: 95

Default F3

According to my information there will be an announcement in Oct. Fastrack re: F3 inclusion (or not).
    JIM (2006 GLC CFC Champion)

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by Westroc View Post
    According to my information there will be an announcement in Oct. Fastrack re: F3 inclusion (or not).
    Fastrack/minutes have been out a while:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...strack-oct.pdf

F3 in FA not recommended

Liked: 10

Default F3 in FA

I used to have a F301 Dallara. I used to run in FA. They must have changed the rules since.
    They are proper race cars.

Jimmy
    Jimmy Hanrahan
    jimh3063@yahoo.com

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by jimh3063 View Post
    I used to have a F301 Dallara. I used to run in FA. They must have changed the rules since. They are proper race cars.
    Jimmy:

The rules have not changed, and the USF3-spec VW engine is still a spec line for F3 cars in Formula Atlantic.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Thread Information