Liked: 9

Default Get your hands out of my crotch

I use a 6 point Schroth Profi II harness in my FE with the submarine straps that loop up. Not that I totally mind, but it takes my wife a bit of effort get everything buttoned up. Without sacrificing safety, is there an easier harness to use? Plus I have to really bend my wrist to get my fingers on the camlock to get out...that's not good. I saw an FB driver at Road Atlanta a few months ago get in by himself. Please enlighten me.

Liked: 14

There are 5/6 point harnesses that have submarine straps that clip into the cam lock. They are mostly used in sports cars but work fine in the FE especially if you need to clip in by yourself.
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 49

I use a Schroth 6pt harness and can (with some effort..!) get belted in by myself. I sit in the car, slide myself up the seat so my arse is a couple inches up from where it will end up. This gives me enough slop in the anti-sub belts to get them on the lap belts and click the lap belts in. Then I scoot down/forward again, get the lap and anti-sub belts in the right spot - only then I click in and tighten the shoulder belts..

I guess depending on where you mount your anti-sub belts, this may not work for you?

Liked: 123

The geometry of the loop type crotch straps is better for more reclined seating positions than the clip in belts. the clip in belts work well enough in an upright position like you have in a sedan or a grand-am car. It's less about how easy it is to get in than it is how well the belts work in a crash.

Brian

Liked: 14

I've had some front end wrecks with the sedan style belts and was held in place just fine. However, the seating position in my car may be more upright than others.
    Andrew M. Cross, Jr.

Liked: 5

Look at the Schroth Formula 2. It is specifically made for the more reclined seating position of a formula car as the belts get loaded a little bit differently than belts in a sedan. I have had them in my F600 and they work great. Great benefit is there is no hardware between your legs.

Chris Ross
    09 NovaKBS F600 #36 Powered by '09 600 Suzuki GSX-R
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 4

Hmmm... Looks like that has click in anti-sub belts? I can get in my FE w/o help using the loop type anti-sub belts. Just takes a bit of planning and patience.

Put on the hans. Lay out all of the straps, helmet on the shock cover, gloves in the eyeport, arm restraints on the mirrors, wheel between helmet and mirror. Climb in. Click the lap belt in place, thread the left anti-sub belt through it's eye, and thread on left arm-restraint. Pull the left shoulder belt (adjusted to full-loose) over left shoulder. Pull anti-sub loop to buckle with left hand, click in left shoulder belt with right hand. Repeat process for right side. Put wheel on. Tighten shoulder belts. Put gloves in lap. Put on helmet. Attach hans to helmet. Snug down belts some more. Slide arms into restraints, and snug them down. Good to go!
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by Evl View Post
    Hmmm... Looks like that has click in anti-sub belts? I can get in my FE w/o help using the loop type anti-sub belts. Just takes a bit of planning and patience.

Put on the hans. Lay out all of the straps, helmet on the shock cover, gloves in the eyeport, arm restraints on the mirrors, wheel between helmet and mirror. Climb in. Click the lap belt in place, thread the left anti-sub belt through it's eye, and thread on left arm-restraint. Pull the left shoulder belt (adjusted to full-loose) over left shoulder. Pull anti-sub loop to buckle with left hand, click in left shoulder belt with right hand. Repeat process for right side. Put wheel on. Tighten shoulder belts. Put gloves in lap. Put on helmet. Attach hans to helmet. Snug down belts some more. Slide arms into restraints, and snug them down. Good to go!
    This is the same way I strap in, and has never been an issue.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Evl View Post
    Hmmm... Looks like that has click in anti-sub belts?
    Nope.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

My guess is the OP's sub straps are adjusted too short. maybe needs a bit of relief in the seat between the elbows and shoulders as well.

Liked: 9

Holy cow, Christopher (EVL). What a process. I will work on that. We are racing Barber this weekend. You should be there. You too, Andrew. Thanks for the comments.

Joe, the F600 challenge will be at Barber this weekend also. Come stop by if you want to check out the Formula 2 belt. We should all be paddocked together, not sure where yet. I'm the only bright yellow one, number 36, white 5th wheel trailer, and black and white awning.
    Chris Ross
    "If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked: 126

I strap in attended the same way as EVL too except I order everything on top of the shock cover.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1495

here's my trick since I'm often without crew:

The take the two screws that are usually around the intersection of the mirrors/shock cover/sidepanel intersection and make them about 2.5" long. Put a thin bushing and a fender washer under the head so that it will act like a shorter screw in holding on the bodywork. You can hang your helmet and gloves on one side and the HANS on the other and even drive to the grid without juggling all your gear or having to put it on real early.

If I know I'll be there a while I even take a ball cap and when I belt in I tuck it behind my elbow or in the small of my back.

Liked: 41

I use the Schroth Hybrid II Hans belts with a pull up lap belt. The sub straps are fixed length. Makes it easier to get everything snapped in to the camlock then tighten the lap belts and shoulder belts. The longer lap belts allow me to get the sub straps hitched up without a fuss as the camlock is not pressed against my body while trying to get the belts inserted. Once the belts are tightened, it is actually tighter than a fixed length set is.
    Craig Farr
    2006 Stohr WF1 P2
    FARROUT Racing

It isn't shown on the website but the formula 2 belt is available with a pull up lap belt just like the hybrid 2 belt. One of the reasons I like Schroth is there huge range of options for most of there belts including various mounting hardware.
    Chris Ross

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Reppert View Post
    Holy cow, Christopher (EVL). What a process. I will work on that. We are racing Barber this weekend. You should be there. You too, Andrew. Thanks for the comments.
    Should be, but I'll be at Sebring. Have a great race!
    #45 FE - Personal twitter: @AOERacing
    RaceTimer+ and business twitter:@Epipiphero

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

I also get belted on my own. I like the Formula D-ring style because after you feed the crotch strap thru the D, you can use it as a slide for leverage to pull it tight. It's then easy to hold that tension while fastening the shoulder strap/arm restraint. The big key for me is to have clip-in arm restraints. Then you're not handcuffed while wiggling around. Clip them in last.

I'd like to try pull-up lap belts, but I'm not sure if I'd have room in my RF80, or if they would be too long.

Thread Information