Liked: 27

Default Gateway in October for Mid-Div FST kick off

Thought I would go ahead and put out the call to help us in the Mid-Division kick of the invasion of FST to the heartland. October 19 & 20 there is a double regional at Gateway in St Louis and Nuveau Autosport is taking our Jacer and Evolution. Bill Bonow says he is considering it and we are hoping Chuck Singletary can bring his Predator. We would love to have any and all FST's come help us send a message to the higher ups that We are a force to be reckoned with in Mid-Div before they set next years schedule. Besides I think someone will walk away with a track record since I don't believe a FST has ever run there.

Liked: 50

I would consider going to the Gateway event if a couple of my drivers wanted to go, (Or if another renter were interested.

BTW, There have been I think 3 FST's at Gateway. (Might have been FS at the time.) So there is an unofficial record for FST there. It would be held by Dwight Sontag at 1:099 ( I think.) It was done several years ago (2006) in a shake down of a converted FST, so it certainly could be beatable.

P.S. Along with an EVO, I have an newly converted XTC FST, I would like to get broken in.

P.P.S. Points have been updated for the Grattan event this weekend.
    http://www.formula-first.org/2013_fst_schedule.htm
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425
    http://www.sracing.com

Liked: 6

Default Count me in for Gateway

I am planning on attending at Gateway. Looks like RA is going to be hard to make, just a few issues, but will be at Mid-Ohio come hell or high water. If we don't make RA will test at Hallet.

Default Count is at three with Chuck

Chuck makes three cars with a possible with Bill Bonow. Good start for this far in advance.

Liked: 190

Default Let's build some momentum

St. Louis is 2 weeks after the final series race at Mid-Ohio, so the date has some breathing room. I think this would be a great way to kick off the Mid-Div FST program that seems to have some good momentum.

Jim has a really great car availble in the XTC. Maybe Rob Clark and Dwight Sontag could be talked into a fun event to support Bill & Chuck? I'm about 4 hours away, so it's a short tow? Maybe Butch?
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Liked: 3

Really glad to hear you guys are planning a group to come to our race. I really hope we get quite a few. We do not have a FST track record at Gateway. We have had a few FST's show up but at that time MiDiv did not recognize FST as a Regional class so they had to run FS. Come out and set a new track record. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help draw a little more interest.

Bryon Prokopf
    St Louis Region T&S Chief

Default Thanks Byron

Looks like at least 4 of us. But this is a class that exemplifies what SCCA started out being. Can't wait to get to Gateway!!!!

Default Thanks Byron

Thanks for your hospitality Bryon. I think maybe it would be fun to use Gateway every year at some point to have an East meets West FST showdown. Maybe we should come up with a trophy to float back and forth.

Excellent idea! An East West Challenge. If we get enough people to sign up, to make this a go, I want to buy the trophy. The SR Racing East West Challenge Trophy. My swan song...
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default Excellent idea Jim

That would be awesome. Having your name on it only seems fitting to me. For years down the road it would be a great tribute and thank you for all you've done for FST and those of us that enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Stop it, you're making me cry. Not to mention the other FST rebels.

BTW, one guy I failed to mention re: the history of FST. Larry Campbell of Campbell Motorsports. He made a huge commitment in the middle of a recession to an unpopular entry level class. He built cars with no SCCA class or buyers. Thanks Larry.
    Last edited by sracing; 08.01.13 at 8:39 PM.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default Props to Larry Campbell too

Totally agree thanks to Larry also. I obviously am thankful with our purchase of the Evolution.

Liked: 0

Default Name

The best I could come up with is the "Schambell Cup" or "Campings Cup". It was worth a shot.

Brian

Default Schambell Scramble

The First Annual Schambell Scramble!

Default Gateway shootout

Have to figure out a way to get all those intial "RV" guys tied into it somehow. None of them shall remain unscathed. Lol. The deserve it for withstanding all those years of dodging " Monkey Poop"

Quote Originally Posted by sracing View Post
    IBTW, There have been I think 3 FST's at Gateway. (Might have been FS at the time.) So there is an unofficial record for FST there. It would be held by Dwight Sontag at 1:09.9 ( I think.) It was done several years ago (2006) in a shake down of a converted FST, so it certainly could be beatable.
    Actually, I was at the Major this past weekend and the track records are posted in the T & S building. FS is the only thing recorded (no FST) and Greg Schings is listed as having the FS record at 1:08.801 in 2004! I have to assume that was in the Jacer (currently Dr. Doug's car). There is no track record for FST at Gateway.
    Bill Bonow

Default Gateway record

Guess I better try to grab it. That might be the only chance this old guy gets before all the young guys jump on the wagon.

Who ever goes quickest (rain or shine) will get the record, it's wide open.
    Bill Bonow

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bonow View Post
    Actually, I was at the Major this past weekend and the track records are posted in the T & S building. FS is the only thing recorded (no FST) and Greg Schings is listed as having the FS record at 1:08.801 in 2004! I have to assume that was in the Jacer (currently Dr. Doug's car). There is no track record for FST at Gateway.
    Ok, yes, that was us. I didn't realize that was still the FS record... Yep, In Dr. Doug's car a couple generations ago.
    Last edited by sracing; 08.05.13 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 76

Same weekend as "That Loooong race" at blackhawk. A race put on by a club I've been a member of for 55 years. Always choices. I will decide after RA.
    Butch
    butch deer

Just got an email from Chuck Udell. (SCCA Gateway Race) He would like to know how many FST cars would be interested in the event. (I told him it was outside our current FFDA venue, but that some people might be interested.)

Please let me know your interest. (He says he has 8 Vees coming and wants to make a nice open wheel event for us. )

Jim
    SR

(Sorry about the dual post)
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default Travis & Me will be there

We will be there for sure with the Jacer & Evolution.

Good, If we can get a decent group they want to give us a special "STARS" trophy for the winner. It's a special series that they started this year, but had no FST's. So they said they would bend the rules and award it to our FST group.

Any more interested?
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 118

Default Gateway

I want to go. I've got a soft spot for Gateway. After picking up my original conversion FST from Jim in Lexington site unseen,I bought a helmet, driving suit and everything required from him and towed to Gateway. I even had to go to Lowes and buy some tools. The fuel cell was leaking, the tires must have been 2 years old, the body was held on with about 3 Dzus buttons, but I somehow passed 2 driving schools and finished a Regional race. Because most of the race entries were tring to get a Novice permit, I even started on the front row next to a DSR! Oh yeah, I did all this completely alone. I've always wanted to go back.

Thanks,
    Garry

They (Gateway) have contacted me again. They want to make note that some FST's will be there in their Flyer that goes out tomorrow. They are also going to have a drag race for SCCA cars at the drag strip next to the track. They would like to have a class for FST for trophies. If 4 cars show they will do it.

So a final count?
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default Two cars for us definitely!

We will be there for sure with both the Jacer and EVO. Start the list with:
    Gray & Murray.

You think anybody would notice if I drop a small block with a blower into the EVO for the drag race! LOL

Heck with the drag race, I would put the V8 in for the FST road course race. Tech won't notice.
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Default The radiator might be a giveaway

Probably take a V8 for me to win the road race! Now if I can just figure out how to disguise the radiator.

What's a radiator?
    Jim
    859-252-2349 or
    859-339-7425

Liked: 10

Default Roll Call

OK, time to start a roll call of who is in for this "historic" East West challenge. So far I think we have 4 maybe 5...with a chance of several more.

Jim may have a car available to rent or might be persuaded (with money) to transport your car out there....so what about some of those other Kentucky/Ohio based cars making the trip.....

Yes:
    Bill Gray
    Travis Murray
    Bill Bonow
    Rob Clark
    Gary Sharp
    Chuck Singletary

Maybe:
    Butch Deer
    Jim Nash
    Brian Finegan
    Doug Sontag
    Bill Wolfe OR SR Renter (Jim may have at least one car available)
    Dave Dawson
    Last edited by teamclark; 09.17.13 at 2:44 PM.

Thread Information