Liked: 0

Default Need advice for purchasing a formula car

Hi all,
    I really need some advice in buying a formula car. I’ve been running solos for forever (well, since 1989) and I finally am making a move to wheel-to-wheel. I am currently stationed in Germany and obtained a FIA International Class C license a couple months ago so I'm looking to buy a car. But, even after looking through the SCCA rulebook, I'm still a little fuzzy as to which car I could purchase here in Europe that I could run in the U.S. upon my return. Right now I'm looking at two Formula Renault 2.0 (one is a 1997, the other 2007), two Dallara Formula 3 (2000 cc, one is a 1998 and the other a 2000), a Formula König (1400 cc VW, 1999), two Formula BMW (1200 cc, 2004 and 2005), and two Formula Ford 1600 (a 1983 and a 1987). All are monocoque and produce down-force/winged with the exception of the Ford.
    Which cars are legal to run in SCCA events?
    If it were you, which one would you opt for? And why?

According to Butch Kummer, Club Racing Director, whether or not I want to make it to the Runoffs is a key factor. Being 40 something, I’m not sure if I should worry about it. Any advice as far as that goes too?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Liked: 1403

The only car you will likely be able to buy in Europe and run in the US will be FF. Double check to see that the FFs you are looking at are tube frame cars. Also you want to be sure that what you buy has been imported to the US in the past. The roll bar rules are different and you don't want to do the work to get what you buy certified to SCCA standards.

All the cars you listed are not classified in the SCCA. You might be able to run them in FS but that is not a class you want to run as a beginner.

I suggest you start in a class without wings.

Liked: 83

Default Which FFs?

Just curious what FFs (manufacturer) you are looking at. You could likely do a search on here and see what they go for in the states -- might not have to import one.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

If you would be open to a sports racer. A FIA Group CN car would fit the current CSR rules and next year P1 when the rules change. Cars that come to mind are Norma or Wolf 2 liter cars.

Liked: 679

completely biased FF driver response. Buy an FF. No wings means better, closer racing, lower repair bills and probably lower initial cost too. And you can get confused enough chasing mechanical grip that you won't miss trying to figure out the Aero setup questions. Besides, "Downforce and Horsepower are a good cover for lack of skill and talent."
    [Okay guys, just kidding.]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 27

Default Think about Formula First

Think about Formula First. The current German Formula Vee would transfer with just a few modifications. Even though Formula First is currently just a regional SCCA class it's rapidly gaining in numbers and you will not find a quicker for the buck racing class in the US. Check out the forum on this site or go to the Formula First Drivers Assoc website for the full rules. We will also be starting a Midwest series next year. FST is the best kept secret in the Formula Car world and being in Germany our German drive trains are a natural.

Liked: 6

Ed, where do you plan to run once you get here. Some locations very with amount of a certain class that participates. FF most likely will be your best bet but check out the area you will be racing and check qty of the class in both National and Regional series in that area.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

There are many good deals State side... There are many really great cars in Europe, most, sadly, don't fit SCCA rules... FF is a good start. I'm starting in CFC, very fast car for a beginner. I had no clue... Be sure to check out where you're racing. I don't have but a few cars to play with up here in the far North...
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Liked: 1

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    completely biased FF driver response. Buy an FF. No wings means better, closer racing, lower repair bills and probably lower initial cost too. And you can get confused enough chasing mechanical grip that you won't miss trying to figure out the Aero setup questions. Besides, "Downforce and Horsepower are a good cover for lack of skill and talent."
    [Okay guys, just kidding.]

Don't the European FF's use the modern Ford Duratec engine rather than the US legal old Kent or new Fit motor?

Given you have a relocation comming up, different US vs Euorpean classes/rules, and aren't sure what class you prefer, I suggest you look at renting for the short term.

Liked: 14

I agree with FV90, best to understand how many cars run in the region you move to. All of the cars have pros and cons but driving with cars in the same class allows you to gauge your progress as a driver. Certain classes are more popular in different areas of the country.

Liked: 48

Here's what I would consider. Rent a ride in a Formula Ford in Germany. Right before heading back to the US, find a 2000 or newer Formula Ford roller (former pro car - Mygale, Ray, Van Diemen) roller for a lot less then the US market and ship it home. Drop a Honda in and go racing.
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 0

Default Need advice for purchasing a formula car

Hi all,
    I'm floored at the speed and the number of responses!!!! Thank you all very, very much.
    I am taking your advice and I started to look at rentals. So far, they have been super expensive but I think that is mainly because I've only found one FF2000 for rent so far. All the others are things like Radicals or Formula 3s. Hopefully I can find one for not too much money...
    I also looked at the classes/competitors where I'm moving back to. Looked like only one FF1600, a lot of Spec Miatas, and SRFs. There are a few FC though and if I understand it correctly FF2000 falls in that class.
    I happened to find a FF2000 that is a former southwestern division car (still sporting the SCCA stickers and everything) that was brought over 2 years ago. It's a '95 Van Dieman and has lots of spare parts. I'm going to look at it this weekend.
    In general, what do y'all think? A good move or not?
    Thanks,
    Ed

Liked: 679

Check the entry list of the race series [SARRC /MARS / Nationals / regionals ] at the tracks you plan to run. If FC is where the competition is, that is probably where you will have the most fun, and find the most advise / talent to help you get going. Then go to that site here on Apex, and find out if the car you are looking at is reasonably competitive. You don't need to start in a front running car [and likely can't afford to.] but best to not spend money on a hopeless car either.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 83

Default Tires

While you're choosing a class, might want to check out the cost of tires and the rules regarding tires for that class. I've seen considerable heartburn on here about tire cost/use in some classes. Club Ford and the historic FFs have a spec tire that lasts a long time. May or may not be an issue for you.

David

Liked: 27

Default 40 Something????

Compared to alot of SCCA competitors you are just a pup..The front row in FM at the June Sprints had a combined age of 110 years..That was first and second also . I think Butch was referring to buying a car to run in FS, Regional only and does not have a class at the Runoffs, against purchasing a car with a National Class and Runoffs elgible.

Liked: 14

Yeah, just finished rookie year at 50!! 50 is the new 30 so 40 something is the same as 20 something. I think that is how the math works??

Thread Information