Liked: 3787

Default Watkins Glen 100th

We are about one week away from 'load in' at WGI. As of this post we are looking at a record size field (~43) which will be a nice re-confirmation to Rand and gang that they must be doing something right for the last 98 races.

You guessed... Saturday's race at WGI will be the F2kCS's 100th race! Big things planned to mark the event.

Check out postings on the Series website.

Liked: 27

Return of The Fat Boys?

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Also added to the website recently:

http://www.f2000championshipseries.com/staff.html

Sort of an introduction for all the new folks. But even i learned some interesting stuff.
    Amazed how well educated the staff is. A bunch of engineers. Lots of college degrees. You'd think they would be smart enough to stay away from race tracks.

Liked: 111

Well, I am excited to be a part of the 100th race and hope to be around for a 200th.

However, the weatherman for Lime Rock has apparently now been moved to upstate NY.

After dropping out of both Lime Rock races with failed TPS toward the end of each race, I replace this with the new, expensive sealed version..............that really I was not hoping to have to test anytime soon!

jim

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4361

Don't worry Jim.
    That part of the state rarely gets an all day rain. It will probably be 40% sun and 40% puffy clouds ..... with a brief violent thunderstorm rolling through every few hrs
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 42

Interesting day @WGI - Fabio fastest in the factory Radon - Tim Minor second. Rain cut things a bit short and is still hanging around.. BIG field!

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Wet!

Morning practice was wet with a light drizzle & the same followed for qualifying an hour after practice ended.

Multiple black flags for both sessions with lots of cars off.

Kyle Connery is P1 followed by Tim Minor I believe followed by new comer, young gun, Santino Ferrucci.
    Steve Bamford

ApexSpeed Photographer Dennis Valet's Avatar
    Liked: 60

I'll fix the watermarks for next session. I screwed up and I am too lazy to fix them.

Liked: 444

I see James Lee, had his hands full.
    Last edited by BURKY; 12.30.13 at 2:08 PM.

Just started raining here at WGI. Right now it's in between slick and rain tires, but trending towards rain tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Valet View Post
    Just started raining here at WGI. Right now it's in between slick and rain tires, but trending towards rain tires.
    Dennis, your shot of yesterday's podium was classic. Looking at the Doppler it might clear.

The rain stopped just before the race and the sun began to peek through, but it was way too wet to even consider dry tires.

Chris Camadella, Shane Morris, and Finelli started on slicks and were way way way slow on the first few laps compared to everyone else on wets. They were lapped within a few laps of the start. The track dried out towards the last 1/3 of the race, but the rain tires seemed to hold up pretty well.

There was a point where it looked like Tim was going to catch Kyle, but Kyle pulled out a gap at the end while moving through traffic to hold on.

Fabio Orsolon came from 34th to 3rd. I think he was top 10 by the end of the 2nd or 3rd lap.

These pictures taken during same race, promise.

No two race weekends are ever the same...
    With 36+ entries there are hundreds of neat stories to tell, and unfortunately some expensive ones. With some breaks in the schedule during the day, there was opportunity to have "visitation" time available, so one could walk from canopy to canopy to hear an unique story at each stop.

All in all a pretty special way to celebrate the 100th race the F2kCS has held.
    Today there were three different chassis makes on the podium. Van Dieman, Citation, Radon. Entrant ages ranging from 15 to 72.

Lots of debate on the grid today to decide which tire to go out on, with it raining up to about 10 minutes before the race. And in spite of some very tricky track conditions the lads went out and raced under green flag from start to finish. A job well done.

Our newlywed Fabio charging up through the field to capture 3rd after starting from the rear was fun to watch. Of course, GTP was hoping for a double yellow period.

Yesterday, in decidedly worse conditions, a few folks found out it is not easy to go four-wide, even on a straight.

It was also sort of neat to see quite a number of F2kCS alumni doing well in the Grand-Am events all weekend.

The kids are not going to let Tim Minor just cruise. Santino's drive onto the podium yesterday signals a new rising star. Kyle parked the RFR during the off-season and turned James Lee and Norm loose on the VD, now it could be said he stands currently as the toughest competition. Obviously, Fabio's return and impressive showing adds to the list of guys that promise to make the next three race meetings very interesting.

At the party this afternoon Bob Wright was recognized for having started all 100 races so far in the Series. Bob came up with this crazy idea eight years ago that maybe there would be support from the formula car community for race weekends that provided a good amount of track time with single class run groups. Then he had the wisdom to recruit Mike Rand to figure out the logistics. 100 races later, it is fair to say it is a success.

It is recognized that much of the Series' success, especially in the early years, can be attributed to the grassroots support generated by coverage here on Apexspeed. So a special thank you shout-out to Doug and Kim for keeping the forum alive.

Congratulations, Kyle Connery and Lee racing. On the 100th
    Race win of the F 2000 championship series!
    Last edited by BURKY; 06.29.13 at 8:17 PM.

Liked: 2

I love this series and I have never even turned a wheel in an F2000. I follow on Twitter and listen to the live race broadcasts. I wish it had some TV coverage, even if only tape delayed. Wouldn't have known anything about it if it hadn't been for ApexSpeed.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenT View Post
    I love this series and I have never even turned a wheel in an F2000. I follow on Twitter and listen to the live race broadcasts. I wish it had some TV coverage, even if only tape delayed. Wouldn't have known anything about it if it hadn't been for ApexSpeed.
    And Rolex is there! Why not tape it. I know,I know! $$$$

What is the age limit to race at the Glen??? I thought you had to be 18?
    Last edited by BURKY; 06.29.13 at 9:13 PM.

You have to be 18 at the Glen, It's the main reason F1600 is not racing there this year.
    There is this weird loophole that you can use where you emancipate the child for racing purposes, some people do it to get the kid on the track.

And by special request...

Liked: 157

Which one is Tim?

Liked: 96

Tim is a giant!
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Post #9, 5th photo: Apparently Charles spotted a hot babe among the spectators...

Is there an issue with my PC or connection or are a couple of those photos "night shots"?
    Barry Wilcock

Default Watkins Glen 100th

No, the weather was just that bad. Not quite as hard a rain as Lime Rock, though. Much warmer at least this weekend!

Liked: 127

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    Post #9, 5th photo: Apparently Charles spotted a hot babe among the spectators...

?
    Exactly my thoughts Barry. Haha
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Valet View Post
    Which one is Tim?
    Tim is a giant!
    So, what are we now, going Midget racing?

Liked: 27

A salute is in order to Kyle Connery, who got right into the spirit of "big time" racing, signing autographs in victory lane, putting kids in his cars for photos, giving one young fan his Hoosier hat, and another his Hoosier neckband.

Racing at WG on a major event weekend can be a pain in **s from many aspects (e.g. series officials being told "no one" was allowed in the paddock on Sat. morning) but IMHO it's good for the series to have an occasion to race in front of an appreciative crowd both for the fans and the racers.

Others besides Kyle spread good will as well. I heard Jim Libecco was giving parts away as souvenirs, and Federico Mosconi has fans for life after he autographed a couple of spotters guides. Brent Gilkes had kids sitting in his car too. I'm sure there were others.

thanks to one and all, a great way to mark a hundred races.

Unfortunately, I had too many parts to give away this weekend. More parts in one day than all of my years of racing together.

I always travel with a stock of left over parts to give to kids. They love it!

In the USF2000 series, I actually had a family track me down to give an 8x10 of me and their kids after I had them in my car. That makes dealing with big events fun and worthwhile. Otherwise, not being able to get the paddock is a bit of a hassle....

jim

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default KILLER

Pics in this thread, thanks Dennis.
    I'm running this weekend - hoping the weather is better!

"being told "no one" was allowed in the paddock on Sat. morning"

Yep, parked where they told me, then moved the car into the paddock when the traffic director had gone away & the gate was open a little wider.
    Barry Wilcock

Liked: 0
    Mark Windecker

Thread Information