Liked: 0

ST. PETERSBURG, FLA. (June 5, 2002) – The Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship today announced that for the remainder of the 2002 season their will be no entry fee for American Continental Championship entrants.

Introduced in 1999, the ACC is a "series within-a-series" for club racers seeking professional race experience on a limited budget. Beginning in 2002, the class is eligible to all F2000 cars continuing to use the Pinto engine package.

The 10-race ACC season has six races remaining on some of North America’s premier racetracks, the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, Road Atlanta and Virginia International Raceway. Racing simultaneously with the Zetec Championship, the ACC cars will race in support of the American Le Man Series, CART FedEx Championship and SCCA Pro Racing.

In addition to free entry fees, the following race prize fund has been announced. The ACC race winner will receive $1000, second place will receive $750 and third place will receive $500 at the remaining races in 2002.

“The goal of the ACC class has always been to allow drivers with a limited to budget to come race in the pro series,” said Jon Baytos, owner of the Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship. “By eliminating the entry fee, we believe more drivers will have the opportunity to take part in the Zetec Championship.”

The 2002 Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship continues with Round Eight at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car course, June 29, as part of the American Le Mans at Mid-Ohio weekend.

- 30 -

Allan Craighead
    Director of Public Relations
    Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Liked: 3787

Is there a tire brand/compound restriction on the ACC cars?

Yup. Same as the Ztech.. Avons. Hate to be a party pooper, but I don't think an older pullrod CFC will past technical inspection, even for the ACC... I would definitely get that clarified before towing to Mid Ohio. . .

TDR
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Their rules say 90 and newer. Any chassis.

I love Avons, even love Avon ladies.

[size="1"][ June 10, 2002, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

How much do the USF2000 test days cost?

Rob Poma

This years test fees:

Sebring pre-event 2 day-$1600
    Mid-Ohio 2 day-$2,000
    Mosport pre-event 2 day-$1,800
    IRP pre-event- 1 day $1,000
    Milwalkee pre-event 2 day-$1,800
    Mid-Ohio pre-event 1 day-$800
    VIR 2 day-$2,000
    Mid-Ohio pre-event 1 day-$800
    Road Atlanta 2 day-$2,000
    Road Atlanta pre-event 1 day-$800
    VIR pe-event- 1 day $800

Where do we sign up. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Marshall Aiken
    www.aikenracing.com

No thank you. I wasn't planning on testing. I already know my way around Road Atlanta. [img]smile.gif[/img]

They just want enough cars at the start for TV pictures so that it will appear a legit series. Filler. I'm willing to help them out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I also figured they were waiving those test fees for the ACC guys. [img]smile.gif[/img] We are only coming to help the series look better.

[size="1"][ June 10, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Purple Frog ][/size]

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

Entry fees are just the tip of the iceberg to running a USF2000 race. No matter what you may think, this is not for the low budget racer.

Consider the fees for test days (stated above), the SCCA Pro License requirements, and the tire bill. You'll need at least two sets of dry tires (Avon A24's I think) and should it rain, there is also a spec rain tire you'll have to purchase.

And since you have never run on these tires before, it will take some getting used to before you can be competitive and may even require some setup changes.

So, you could be looking at as many as three sets of tires for the weekend. And these are tires that you won't want to run at a regular SCCA race as the A24's are a very hard compound.

Dennis
    VD RF94/95

Dennis,

I think most people on this forum know the cost of racing at national levels and at the pro level...

Encouragement would be better than poo-pooing someone who realizes they are helping fill out the field. Its just as easy too.

I am rooting for Frog - and will even donate $50 to his tow fund.

Good Luck Frog - live the dream man,

DK
    David Kovach<br />dave@kovach.com

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

David

I'm not poo-pooing anybody, just trying to bring a little reality into the picture.

And since when did CFC become a National class

Dennis
    VD RF94/95

I think it is great news that Purple Frog and other Pinto powered FC's are planning to race with the Zetec Series...
    Who cares how you do.....in terms of race finish!!!
    We are talking about having a chance to run at Mid Ohio and Road Atlanta for no entery fee.

Also,at Mid Ohio you will be on the same program as the CART Teams.
    So for the cost of some Avon tires you can tell your friends ....and family you will be on the same program as CART...
    Toyota Atlantic,...F2000 Zetec Series and YOU!!!!

Go For It.... Purple Frog and any other FC Pinto Racers !!!!

PS David it sounds like sour grapes...reading your previous posting.

Sorry David......got you mixed up with Dennis...
    It was Dennis "Who Sounded Like The Sour Grape Comments".
    By not thinking this could be fun!!!Also great opportunity!!!
    I wish they had given this opportunity when they ran the Milwaukee Mile.
    I think alote of the Centeral Division FC Racers would have given it a go...

Thread Information