FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

JONES WINS ROUND TWO AT SEBRING

SEBRING, FLA. (March 15, 2002) –Jeffrey Jones, of Sarasota, Fla., won Round Two of the 2002 Formula Ford 2000 Zetec Championship season at Sebring International Raceway. Completing the top-three was Anthony Massari, of Miami, Fla. and Bryan Sellers, of Centerville, Ohio. Michael Floyd, of Houston, Texas, won the American Continental Championship class.
On a dusty and hot track in the mid-afternoon, 25 cars got the green flag for Race two of the season-opening doubleheader. Like in race one, the polesitter, Jones, held the lead into turn one. As the first lap progressed, Jones pulled out a marginal lead as Sellers and Massari battled for second place. At the completion of the first lap, Ricardo Imery and Andy Brumbaugh were involved in an incident in turn 17, bringing out a full-course caution. On the lap seven re-start, Jones in the No. 2 JCI Chemicals/Winchester Van Diemen Ford, got a great jump and maintained his lead in turn one, as the field went three abreast into the sweeping corner. Sellers, in the No. 3 Yes Network/3 Dimensional Services/Arai Helmets/Sparco/Cape Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, took second place just ahead Massari. On the following lap, Massari, driving the No. 7 JDC Motorsports Van Diemen Ford, retook the position. The duo battled for the position for the next two laps allowing Jones to build a comfortable lead. On the final lap, Massari closed on Jones, as he battled treacherous track conditions caused by helicopter flying low and blowing dust all over the track. At the checkered flag, Jones held off Massari by 0.493 second to capture his first Zetec Championship victory. As the top-five got the checkered flag, Floyd and Doug Smith had contact, giving Floyd the ACC win.
“The car was great right from the green flag,” said Jones. “I saw Brian and Massari battling behind and tried to pull away. After the full-course caution the track was really tricky and it became who could get the most from their tires.”
“The race went really well,” said Massari. “I had a good car and was definitely trying to catch Jeffrey [Jones], but just couldn’t reel him. This has been a great introduction to the Zetec Championship.”
“Unfortunately I just didn’t have the car today to win,” said Sellers. “I had great battle with Anthony [Massari], but my tires went away and it was really hard given the conditions.”
Completing the top-five was Bobby Wilson, of Oconomowoc, Wis., and Mark Wilkins, of Toronto, Ont., Can.