Thread: Wheel repair

Liked: 200

Default Wheel repair

Has anyone ever attempted to have bent Diamond wheels straightened? We have a number of slightly bent rims, and it would be worth it to get them fixed if it's affordable.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 27

Depends if they have flat spots on the bead or do they just wobble. I have straightened many wobblers on my frame table but flat spots are tough. Then you have to have a fixture to spin them also. My point is that you have to have the equipment , then it is not too difficult. There are shops out there that specialize in this also.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 107

i tried to have a "revolution" wheel straightened by a wheel repair shop. they said they could only straighten it if the "rim was bent" if the bend went much up into the webbing/spokes then no... so they were looking for wobble in the spokes, and said it was too much. i assume they have some limit for liability reasons... i bet you could do it on your own though. they also said while you could make the rim face straight, the wobble in the wheel would still be there, and so no point.

well... thats what they said!
    BT29-24 Swift DB1 Matra M530

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4363

Quote Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
    i tried to have a "revolution" wheel straightened by a wheel repair shop. they said they could only straighten it if the "rim was bent" if the bend went much up into the webbing/spokes then no... so they were looking for wobble in the spokes, and said it was too much. i assume they have some limit for liability reasons... i bet you could do it on your own though. they also said while you could make the rim face straight, the wobble in the wheel would still be there, and so no point.

well... thats what they said!
    The F1200 wheels bend on the center flange, not the rim part. They could be mostly straightened with special tooling and major league press ..... way beyond the cost of a $100 wheel. They're junk when bent. Throw them away.
    Last edited by problemchild; 05.21.13 at 1:09 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 0

greg is right, they bend in the centre section and are toast unfortunately

shame really
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON
    aandrewwmc at hotmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    The F1200 wheels bend on the center flange, not the rim part. They could be mostly straightened with special tooling and major leagure press ..... way beyond the cost of a $100 wheel. They're junk when bent. Throw them away.
    That's what I thought, just wanted someone else to say it before I parted with them...thanks guys
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

take em to a metal recycler and get a couple of bucks?
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Quote Originally Posted by hojof1 View Post
    take em to a metal recycler and get a couple of bucks?
    That's the plan!
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Liked: 15

Those Diamond "Racing" Wheels are already bent when you take them out of the box.

We bought two new wheels to replace our old bent ones and the new ones when you put them on the balancer they wobbled more than my used "bent" ones.

Quaility Racing Wheels for the low price of $100! i could buy aluminum wheels cheaper than that!! And they would be straight, lighter, and look better than a John Deer tractor from 1938!!

I know this has nothing to do with this thread. Just my rant of the day!
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    Those Diamond "Racing" Wheels are already bent when you take them out of the box.

We bought two new wheels to replace our old bent ones and the new ones when you put them on the balancer they wobbled more than my used "bent" ones.

Quaility Racing Wheels for the low price of $100! i could buy aluminum wheels cheaper than that!! And they would be straight, lighter, and look better than a John Deer tractor from 1938!!

Kevin, these wheels do have some defective wheels in this batch. We have had two "wobbly" wheels that we brought...we just went back and exchanged them for good ones...no hassle or anything
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post

you didnt know, it's $120 for the straight ones....
    each bent rim is at least .5 sec per lap
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Liked: 22

15” alloy rims are available, but where would you find 14” aluminum rims with VW five-bolt wheel pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by hojof1 View Post
    you didnt know, it's $120 for the straight ones....
    each bent rim is at least .5 sec per lap
    I wouldn't doubt it is the story of my life!!
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

Quote Originally Posted by G.B. View Post
    15” alloy rims are available, but where would you find 14” aluminum rims with VW five-bolt wheel pattern?
    Falken does make a 15" tire!

If we would run 15" wheels and tires the world opens up to multiple wheel choices as well as tire choices. Not that I have a problem with the tires, I think they are fantastic!

However I would like to see some upgrades to our cars to modernize them... it would attract a younger crowd to our series which is going to be the future of our class. (Disk Brakes, Rack & Pinion steering, and some modern looking rims) Just to name a few! I'm not saying do them all at once, but we could introduce them in stages over a period of five years!!!
    Kapelke Tuned

RF93 Van Diemen FF1600

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 22

Be careful what you wish for. The Ontario FV1600 series had all these updates and it failed. The rules were in a constant state of flux and with each change drivers walked away.

Be careful what you wish for. The Ontario FV1600 series had all these updates and it failed. The rules were in a constant state of flux and with each change drivers walked away.
    Guy has a point...while the 14" Diamond wheels aren't the prettiest things in the world, everyone already has them. Change the wheel size, then everyone has to go out and buy one or two sets of new wheels and tires. That's a $1000-2000 cost that most people wouldn't have in a season.
    Shane Viccary
    #27 Citation-Zink Z-16

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Leave things as they are, you are pretty close to US specs on everything. If you want something different run a different class as Guy said every change will cause more to walk away then new people to join. F1200 is a great starting point for any young driver but it seems many are jumping from karts right into stuff witH wings, so unless you can add them all other changes are irrelevent.
    Steve Bamford

- know your target audience
    - keep the controllable costs down
    - make it fun/enjoyable so people keep coming back
    - promote the series locally

isnt that what the FTDA does now?

with the increases in fees there's ever more pressure to keep consumable/vehicle costs down. fee's are likely to continue to climb faster than inflation too.

while it would be nice to race snazzier piece's it wouldnt do much to enhance the experience already being delivered by the series/participants.

if someone decides to go racing, they've consigned themselves to the operating costs required to go racing. the choice they have to make is the fixed cost (car, trailer, etc). the 1200 advantage is that it's easily the cheapest fixed cost open wheel option available so it caters to those who don't have the big budgets.

the series has done a good job of managing itself for the greater good for the last decade or so given all the other forces going on in the world/economy.

Some may have noticed, but the F1600 camp have done a nice job rebranding and adding social media into their marketing mix, but it appears to have taken quite a lot of effort and resources in doing so.

must be cold up there for test day in shannyland...
    Andrew McMurray
    London ON

Liked: 115

Default Wheel repair

Shane,

Acetylene torch, 5 lb sledge, save a few bucks. If they wobble a little it just lets the others know you have a large pair of brass ones and they wont dare pass you....

Thread Information