Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zetec in FC

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Steve-
    My whole point about having my dad take time off if I can convince him to buy the car was that yeah most people would probably have to do that, he certainly would so numbers might be low and it might be a struggle but eventually I think it can be done. You are right though that the current cars would be practically obsolete because of this. You could either keep your car and convert and sell off the pinto parts to the CFC people or you would have to sell your package as a whole which can be sold for $25K depending on what you have which is a good price and almost matches a used Zetec price but a point you made me think of is if the Zetec replaces the Pinto then your cars value went down significantly and couldn't help the cost of getting into Zetec.

Rick-
    You scared me, I thought I typed that whole horsepower deal wrong again. Are you going to be at Mid-Ohio this weekend? I am getting there tomorrow night (just got home from Lime Rock today).

Scott-
    The race at Lime Rock was actually worse than the Trans-Am race. As soon as we got on track it started raining a lot harder and as soon as we got off it started to quit raining. On the start I never heard Nic tell me it was green, I drove off the track because I thought I was going straight but I guess not, I passed two or three cars on the start without ever hearing them or seeing them as I passed. The only way I knew I passed them was Nic told me on the radio that I had a good start when we were under yellow the first time. On the restarts I was having Nic tell me when to brake for turn one since I couldn't see anything. On one restart I passed four cars, split them right in the middle, how I didn't hit them is anyone's guess. Another restart I was going along and then there was a yellow car sideways in front of me so I had to lock them up and slide into him breaking my front wing and got hit on the side by another car at the same time but the yellow car kept sliding and went out of my way so I continued to pass someone else going into the first turn. Just some samples of how crazy the rain was. Everywhere I have gone so far this year has rained, hopefully it will be dry this coming weekend at Mid-Ohio, anyone know the forecast?

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Andy,

I'm going to Mid Ohio for my first time, .. doing the school on Friday.

Blue #42 vector FF, .. look me up, or let me know how to find you.

But I guess, .. since you're going, .. it's gonna rain.

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Liked: 19

I have never driven/raced in conditions like that - I think in the movie Grand Prix - The guy that plays Sarti talks for a minute about racing in the rain. I think he says something like - "Its not the rain so much - its the spray..." The rain itself was a great challenge to drive in - the spray was so bad at times - I couldn't see to my hands on the wheel... Local knowledge really helped me!!

I was trying to think of how best to describe it to my wife when I got home.... Next Christmas - take that opaque tissue out of the box from a new shirt (That seems like all I get for Christmas now...) - tape it to your head and run around the house! you know where everything is in your house - and you'll find that it can be done through the shadows and terrain changes... Then throw some relatives out there doing it at the same time and see what happens!!

The start was great for me I found a "clear" lane on the outside of the front straight and went from 13th to 9th - a few cars fell off and on the next restart I used the same outside straight and went to 5th - During one safety car period - I finally noticed that I was soaked and really started to get cold - I've never been so cold that my teeth chattered - my arms were shaking. Restarts were blind - you just heard motors accelerate and went by shadows - I know the ultimate rain light is THE best right now... But you couldn't see them until the nose was 2 feet away!! Then my electrics started acting funny - my radio started to pick up track security or something - then making really high pitch noises... The shift lights started flashing for some reason then the warning lights - then both together - but the display was fine... Thats just some of it - basically it was a nightmare. If it was a club race - I would have pulled off after 5 laps (unless I was first or second!!)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I think maybe the conditions were the worst I have seen in 30 years of racing where they actually let you race. That said, I don't think it was really racing, more surviving. Ask how many wrecked cars there were between the morning qualifying session and the race?

For the first time in 30 years of racing, I pulled off on the pace lap and parked it. I'm 51 years old and I don't drive for a living. It was that bad.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 3787

Or... you were that smart.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Sounds like this would have been a great race to see on TV! Even for the guys who were in it so they could see what actualy took place.

Liked: 5

Andy and Matt -- better you than me! Good job.
    Bob, good decision. I've only raced one time in the rain in 3 years and didn't enjoy not being able to see. I had some races in sprints where I couldn't see past the roll cage because of dust. Not fun. In a WOO race one time I was behind Kinser and he made a 90 degree left turn. Seemed like a good guy to follow and barely missed a guy who had spun. Never saw him until I was past.

Classifieds Super License andyllc's Avatar
    Liked: 201

Curtis-
    I am here now (Mid-Ohio) and guess what, it's supposed to rain tomorrow and Saturday. Sorry.
    I will be coaching for Tom Reinsel with his black and yellow '00 Van Diemen. We will be in a garage just not sure which one so come find me. I will have a green Brumbaugh Racing t-shirt on tomorrow and Friday and the same thing on Sat and Sun only a collared shirt.
    See everyone there

Contributing Member Curtis Boggs's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Andy,

No, .. don't ell me about rain, .. I'm soooo sick of rain.

I'm doing the school on Friday, .. I have no crew so if I get time I'll find you during the day, .. at worst I'll find you later after we're done.

Coaching Reinsel??, .. OK, .. I see how you are, .. just go off and coach some one else, .. and forget about your photographer from Formula car, .. yup. .. I'm gonna have to talk to Rob about this, ...

kidding, .. .. Tom is a cylinder head customer of mine. Seems like a good guy, .. just tell him to lift any time he sees a blue Vector in the mirror.8)

I've been told Mid Ohio is a, . um, .. well a bitch. Tough track, .. and much tougher in the rain. The challenge should be fun.

I'll get there thursday around 7pm.

My cell is 703-626-1610, ..

Curtis
    Racing Flow Development
    Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
    http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information