Thread: Zetec in FA

Liked: 3787

There was some interest going into Sebring as to how Zetecs needed to be configured to meet the FA rules per the GCR. The confusion being that there are 2002 Zetecs (droop front wings, FC wheels) and now a new 2003 pro configuration (new wing, wider wheels, Avon radials). So would the 2002s have to run 2003 wheels and tires, or vice versa, to be legal in SCCA FA?

Seems that the Stewards of the Central Florida Region came up with a great solution to the confusion. Their interpretation of the GCR and all the Fast Tracks was that the only thing that needed to be Zetec pro series spec was the sealed engine. All other components of the car just needed to meet FA specs as per the GCR.

So that meant that FA Zetecs could run Penske triples, 6 speeds, Hoosier 35s, whatever. Shocks, wings, tires, wheels, etc, were all open. You just had to have a Quicksilver sealed Zetec motor.

At least that is what was relayed to me from someone that asked for clarification before the race grid on Sunday.

It sounds like a great solution. But, if that ruling sticks in Moroso and beyond, expect the SCCA FA Zetecs to be faster than the USF2000 Zetecs.

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar
    Liked: 0

Originally posted by Purple Frog:
    So that meant that FA Zetecs could run Penske triples, 6 speeds, Hoosier 35s, whatever. Shocks, wings, tires, wheels, etc, were all open. You just had to have a Quicksilver sealed Zetec motor.
    I thought that Elite Engines (Steve Knapp) was also an engine supplier for the Pro Zetecs

Dennis Cleary
    VD RF94/95 NER #37

I was told by Sandy that Steve dropped out of the program at the end of 2002. I visited with Steve at Sebring, and he was only working on pinto motors.

By the way, Steve is a star in my book. He wandered all over Sebring helping any in need, and took a great deal of time to help me with some suspension advice on the old Reynard. Truly a class act.

Contributing Member Dennis Cleary's Avatar

That's really a shame that Steve dropped the Zetecs. He builds an awesome 2.0L Pinto motor though (shameless plug)

Liked: 19

An FA Zetec must conform to what the pro series is running - the confusion is coming from the '03 regs not being recogonized by the SCCA, yet. It sounds like this will be resolved at the next Scca comp meeting. Anything above and beyond what the pro series is running is not legal in FA. For now, the decision is up to local officials....

The following text was the result of my inquiry to Ken Brown before Sebring

Matt the answer is that a FZetec car with 8" and 10" is illegal because no one in the F2000 series bothered to let SCCA know they were changing the rules for 2003. Therefore the approval for FZetec car specs is the same as was approved in 2002. I personally have no problem with the bigger wheels being used during practice sessions. so I'm trying to get the local officials to allow this because I was told the reason you guys were running these wheels was to test for the pro season. The rule book is very specific about not letting non compliant cars race and I suspect this will raise some controversy and you may not be allowed to race at all. It is only the power of the cheif Steward that can make a final decision. I have not been given the authority to over rule. I am suggesting to the steward that the cars be allowed to practice at a minimum and run the race starting in the back with no points or finishing place. The second option would be to run your 6" and 8" wheels which are legal. The competition board will discuss the solutions in there January meeting.

Sandy from Quicksilver just called me to say that Steve Knapp is still involved with the Zetec engine program. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone have pictures of the zetec with the '03 pro updates?

Liked: 19

I'll have something next week - unless somebody else posts them...

I just sent a bunch of pixs of Marshall's '03 to him. Damn, I should have scanned a few before I mailed them.
    The tires are noticably larger, and with all the camber added, they look more like CART/F1 than a FF.

Can't wait to see 'em.

I need some clarification on this issue. I am considering the spec car but delivery is going to be towards the end of the season. With this in mind a used 01-02 Zetec is looking good. If I go out and buy a 02 Zetec with the 02 Pro configuration will I need to update to 03 specs? . Assuming that the SCCA Comp. Board passes of on the 03 Pro configuration.

Or can I buy the car, go to the track and have a good time?

Does any of this make sense

Liked: 201

Justin-
    Honestly, it depends on what officials are at the event and how good of a negotiator you are. The very question you have asked is being tossed around quite a bit. Personally, I don't see why people wouldn't want to update their car, as stupid as it sounds, the car looks way better in 03 spec than in 02 spec and you will go the same speed. Plus, your tires will last longer and noses are cheaper to replace (by about a grand a pop).

Contributing Member

You will need to do the updates. I'm going through that right now.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

This is a joke! So I go invest $30-$37k in a car and then I have to buy 2-3 sets of wheels, and a new front wing. Got to love the SCCA. I don't see why you can't run the 02 specs if there is no increased advantage.

Andy, I was hoping to put off updating the front wing until it was needed. You know how I love those wings. Maybe we could throw the Swift nose on the 02 and try to get it by tech.

Ditto to Andy's comments. Justin, if you just enter SARRC events, you probably could run it as an '02.

Liked: 201

Justin-
    Well I don't think it would be all that expensive for you really. You could sell the old nose and rear wing uprights so the new stuff wouldn't cost you anything, you might even be able to make money on the deal. You can also sell the wheels that you get with the car and that would pay for replacement wheels so your investment might not be that much in updating the car. Also, all zetecs seem to be going for 31Kish, if one is there for 37K then it better have a ton of spares or be brand new.

Liked: 67

I'm kind of butting in here since I do not have an FC but that has not stopped me before. Years ago in Super Vee there was a similar wheel rule difference between Pro and Club. The cars originally ran on 6s and 8s. When the Pro series went to 8s and 10s you could run either in club. There were other rule differences with the freedom usually going to the club rules. This is the same as GT1 to TransAm and Pro FA to Club FA.

If the club ranks wants to take advantage of the ex-pro cars it would only make sense that you not have to meet whatever the “current specs” are in pro. Who knows what next years rule will bring? Is anybody checking what gears are being run? There is a specific set of 12 or so gears you must use in Pro.

If there is any interest by the drivers, the pro series owners, or even SCCA HQ, in the Zetec engine ever becoming the FC engine, participation in FA by the Zetec cars is important. To limit the participation in any way is not going to help. It’s the engine that is driving this whole “movement” not the chassis rules.

Jim

Ah, it just occurred to me that if you run a pinto motor you can run the 02 parts. I was thinking the market for 02 parts would be killed since everyone running the Zetec needed to update to 03 specs.

Thread Information