Thread: Skid plates

Liked: 4

Default Skid plates

Hi Guys, Can you help with material I can use as skid plates under my spliters to stop them wearing away???.
    I have been using titanium but have used all I had and are unable to find a supplier in OZ.
    also it creates a lot of interest from corner workers. Also I have tried the nylon that PEGASUS sells it lasts two races. Any ideas???? as to what to use and where I can get it
    Remember this it skiding across the ground at aprox 120 MPH.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

High Molecular Weight Polyethelene comes to mind, might last a bit longer than Nylon. Also Jabroc. Reasonably priced and easy to cut.

If the splitter is running on the ground so hard that it's wearing away in such a short period of time don't you need to raise the ride height a bit so that it's just snicking the track every now and then?

Does the splitter have a relief section in the middle to keep it from porpoising?

Liked: 3787

I have used both Delrin and brass. I find jabroc tougher than just nylon.
    Actually, two races is not a bad duty cycle.

Liked: 896

UHMW from MCMaster-Carr works.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyet...sheets/=mmzzqp

Lots of choices. I have used several types with good luck. Wears but will not break.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1403

Try Jabroc. It is commonly used for skids. I have used it for years just for the application you want.

Jabroc® is a non-impregnated, densified wood laminate developed especially for a wide range of industrial applications including Motor Sport.

Liked: 4

Default Skid Plates

Thank You Guys, If our tracks were billiard tables this would not be a problem as it is mainly under braking. Anyhow I made contact with the UK manufacturer and he tells me he sells to a F3 team out here so I may be able to buy Jabroc from them.As nobody sells it out here.

Liked: 102

Tegris was the NASCAR COT splitter material. The easy way to get it is to buy used splitters via eBay. Another way is through their distributor, PowerStream Industries.
    Last edited by Neil_Roberts; 05.07.13 at 8:35 PM. Reason: Added link to distributor

Liked: 9

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    UHMW from MCMaster-Carr works.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyet...sheets/=mmzzqp

Lots of choices. I have used several types with good luck. Wears but will not break.
    Most local plastics stores carry this. Is is very slippery and pretty tough.
    Last edited by turnbaugh; 05.08.13 at 9:12 AM.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1494

The Delignit at PowerStream is just another kind of Jabroc. Someone in OZ must carry similar stuff - it's often used in tooling, assembly-line stuff, etc.

It has lots of names, but it's basically compressed beechwood with resin.

Thread Information